any ideas for time allotments for each block?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
cdrx4

any ideas for time allotments for each block?

Post by cdrx4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 am

I am currently trying to put a schedule together for my kiddos for this upcoming new adventure!
Does anyone who has used BHFHG and LHFHG have how much time it took or time they allotted for each block in each of these programs? It would help me with scheduling their time each day if I knew how much time was utilized for these blocks.
Thank you and many blessings!
Carol Ratliff
Wife to dh of 15 years
dd 10

MomtoJGJE

Re: any ideas for time allotments for each block?

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 am

This is only our second day this year, but I think I've allotted too much time for LHFHG and I only did 10 minute blocks. The only thing it has taken her the whole time to do is the phonics and that's because she insists on doing it over and over and over. And she's only 4.5.

cdrx4

Post by cdrx4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 pm

Ok here goes a "rough" copy of my idea:
Keep in mind I have a ds who is 9 doing BHFHG and a dd who is 6 doing LHFHG
I am trying to figure out a way to have one occupied while I work with the other!

Here it goes:

ds:BHFHG

9:00-9:20 Bible study and handwriting (Independently)
9:25-10:00 Math (I)
10:05-10:25 DITHOR (I)
10:30-10:45 Break and snack
10:50-11:20 Grammer, dictation, and poetry (somewhat independently)
11:25-11:45 Science (w/me)
11:50-12:20 History and geography (w/me)

dd:LHFHG

9:00-9:20 Phonics (w/me)
9:25-10:00 Left side of TM and storytime (w/me)
10:05-10:25 Handwriting/ Rod and Staff books (w/me)
10:30-10:45 Break and snack
10:50-11:10 Math (w/me)

OK what do you think? Think it will work? Am I expecting my ds to do too much on his own? Are my times alloted for each subject unrealistic? Am I missing anything? I accept criticism really well so do not hold back and this is my first time hs so I am so open to any suggestions!

Thanks...
Carol Ratliff
Wife to dh of 15 years
dd 10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Good afternoon! :D I haven't had a chance to read through your times yet - but here are a couple past threads that might be helpful:
Time BHFHG takes...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=702

Time LHFHG takes...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4244&p=31219#p31219

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi! :D

I think you have a few things planned independently that would really be better to do with your son. (Especially the Bible study and DITHOR. :wink: )

I started my day with the left page of Bigger with Grant last year. It all ties together, and we did it in one sitting in about 30 min. We read history, poetry, Bible study, and the hymns. Then we did the rotating box. If it was an activity a lot of times my younger ones joined in. For vocabualry, I got him started.

I left him to finish what was left of that rotating box in Bigger plus start cursive or copywork or English or study dictation. (This was where I took 30 min to go do LHTH with my little 2 last year.)

We were using R&S 2 and I let him read the lesson and do it independently after we got into the year just a bit. THis worked great...except that I found out he was mispronouncing "adjective" for about a week. :roll: We're STILL working on that one. Ooops! :lol: You really only need to get him started if he's not doing it independently - like the 1st 5-10 min.

Math, you'll want to start the lesson with him if you're using Singapore. This usually took me 5-7 min. THen he finished on his own.

DITHOR you'll need 20-30 min. For level 2/3 DITHOR suggests having the child read all of their assigned pages aloud to you. (This really helped my son grow into a great oral reader this past year! :D )

I think you'll be able to bounce back and forth between your kids especially for their seatwork things that you just have to get the older one started on.

Here's Julie's schedule for combining LHFHG and Bigger 2 years ago. Maybe it will give you some ideas to go off of, too.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1395

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

cdrx4

Post by cdrx4 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:02 pm

Kathleen,
Thank you so much for "chimming" in! Thats exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you also for the link that Julie has done in the past. I looked at one, but the one I looked at was doing LHFHG at half speed so I was trying to incorporate everything at full speed. I understand what your saying about Bible time! I would really love to do them together but understand that I need to keep them seperate. I wonder if maybe we can all just sit together and one listen while the other is doing thiers and vice versa? Oh gosh....between nervousness and trying to get prepared, I am a big mess....but I really do appreciate you letting me know things I should do with the ds together, its exactly what I was looking for! :)
I will re-adjust the schedule and post it again, and I would love it if you or any others would let me know what you think!
Thanks again! :)
Carol Ratliff
Wife to dh of 15 years
dd 10

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Now, I'm going off what worked for me last year...

I'd start with the left page with your son in Bigger. (This seemed to give us a huge momentum push for the day and everything kind of ties in to it. :D ) I'd come up with some options for your daughter to do on her own during this time. Puzzles, books on tape, singing, playing with toys. I'd let her join in on the activity if there is one for the day. We also usually sang the hymn together, too. :wink: Usually there is something for the Bigger child to keep working on at this point - art, vocabulary, copying Bible verse, notebooking.

Then, I'd take your daughter and do the left page of LHFHG while your son works on his own.

Then you could do the back and forth thing for math/handwriting/English/dictation.

Snack time, you could read LHFHG's storytime to both, or BIgger's to both.

You could do science together and let your dd join in on experiments and leave son to finish notebooking if it's a notebooking day while you do phonics with dd.

I have no idea if any of these ideas are helpful to you...but my brain's in scheduling mode as I just did mine yesterday. :wink: I think it would be perfectly fine to have your dd sit in on part of Bigger, but you might want to make sure that she's done with her "mandatory listening" from LHFHG 1st. That way if she's done listening, it won't hurt what she needs to listen to and she can go play. She could listen to your son read his DITHOR books, too. We usually ended up doing Storytime for Bigger and DITHOR during afternoon naptime for the younger 2.

You could put play breaks for both of them in the middle of the day, too, so they get to play together.

Happy scheduling!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

icukirt

Post by icukirt » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:26 pm

I got a spreadsheet from another HOD...it's buried in my email and I'm blanking on who specifically (but a big thanks). Here is what she put for times regarding LHFHG. We are starting next week, so not sure if these times are completely accurate...and I'm sure they can very from child to child...but a good ball park...

Bible 30 mins
History 10 mins
Science/Artistic Expression 15 mins
Phonics 30 mins
Fine Motor Skills 10 min
Storytime 15 mins
Math 20 mins

I would like to whittle ours down to less than this...we'll see. Intersting to see the posts on this.
Kirstin
wife to Scott since 2001
step-mom to ds (14) in private school
mom to ds (5 1/2) will start LHFHG 2009-2010
mom to dd (2) who is speech delayed and has just started speech therapy