Dumb question-How do I know if my ds is done with phonics?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
justme

Dumb question-How do I know if my ds is done with phonics?

Post by justme » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:02 pm

DS has completed Abeka Phonics 1. I know that both Abeka and Bob Jones have phonics in 2nd grade. How do I know if he should do more phonics or be considered an emerging reader?

Thanks,
justme

Candice

Post by Candice » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:14 pm

justme,

Wanted to say hello and welcome!

I don't think your question is dumb! I am going to wait for a reply as well, because I don't know the answer either! Good question!

Candice

mom2boys030507

Post by mom2boys030507 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Don't have a good answer but can he read the from either of the Bibles in the emerging reader set. I guess that is how I would decide. If he can read it move him through that list if not then he needs more phonics.

I am trying to figure out how you know when you have an independant reader.
Karen - mom to Bryce 02/03, Micah 03/05, and Matthew 05/07

Nancy

Post by Nancy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:39 pm

We use A Beka phonics as well. I spend a lot of time laying a solid foundation for the 1st grade year, and then for 2nd grade, I just do a quick run through the Handbook for Reading one more time just for review, and I have them do the Letters and Sounds Workbook for 2nd grade. Once they are able to remember most of the "special sounds" on their own and able to decode longer words by syllables, I simply let them read, read, read...for practice. I try to find emerging readers that interest them. Once they have crossed over from learning to read into the land of reading to learn, I transition into more formal Spelling instruction which reviews a lot of the rules and sounds they learned in phonics. I find the more they read, the better they get at just about every aspect of Language Arts and communication. HTH

Nancy
Nancy
Mom to 4
1 using LHTH
1 using Bigger

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:29 pm

justme,

The ladies did a great job of answering your questions! I'll just chime in to agree that once your kiddo can read The Early Reader's Bible, or Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia or Level 2 type readers, he or she is ready for the Emerging Reader Set. Then, the phonics study transitions to be more of a "learning additional phonics to help with spelling" job.

You can continue to review phonics as needed (we often still do in grade 2 at our house with something like MCP Plaid Phonics or Explode the Code), but once you get to "Beyond..." we do have spelling lists and daily copywork to help cement spelling skills. We also have dictation passages and copywork in "Bigger..." to continue with the spelling practice.

Hope that helps!
:D
Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:33 pm

mom2boys,

We usually consider an independent reader to be a child who no longer reads word-by-word. They are not sounding things out much anymore and are fairly fluent when reading aloud (not stop-start-stop-start).

Independently reading kiddos can read short chapters silently and comprehend what they're reading. They can be asked to read-aloud and do so without continually getting bogged down with words they cannot read.

They are usually at least at the Level 2 Book Set Level that you see for DITHR. They are beyond the Emerging Reader Set.

Blessings,
Carrie

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:35 am

I was going to say when they pick up a book to read on their own and don't ask for help I consider them an independent reader. But I like Carrie's answers better. :D
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:06 pm

We always do a practice run by having dc try to read some of the first books of the Emerging Reader's set. If they cannot do this without becoming frustrated, we do more phonics until they can start the set. We also use MCP Plaid and ETC for reinforcement. We also like the BOB books for very early reading.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

justme

Post by justme » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks everyone,

I handed my ds the Early Readers Bible this morning to see how he would do. He was so pleased that he could read it well! He was very proud! It looks like I have an "emerging reader" on my hands! :D

Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Blessings,
just me

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:05 pm

Hooray! That's wonderful! You are going to love the Emerging Reader's Set. My oldest son's favorite was "Owl at Home". He had little tears he was laughing so hard! I'm getting excited to do the Emerging Reader's set with my second son coming up sometime next year. I can't wait to do it again! Isn't that just so exciting to hear your dc read? It's just a special thing to be a part of.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie