I need all of you to help me out

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Daisy

I need all of you to help me out

Post by Daisy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:39 am

I'm a Mentor Mom with my local homeschool group. Our yearly Newcomer's Social is coming up and I'm going to be displaying my HOD curriculum (Bigger, DITHOR, & CTC). I'm hoping to have the CTC TM by then but will at least have the first week to show folks. What I need from you?

I thought it would be fun to print out some SHOUT OUT'S for HOD from Moms who are using and loving HOD.

If you could just leave a few lines telling me why you love HOD (try to be specific), I'll combine them into Word doc. and print them out to share with those who visit my table. That way it won't just be ME who is singing HOD's praises.

Thanks! Oh, and you can PM me if you are shy. :wink:
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Candice

Re: I need all of you to help me out

Post by Candice » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi Daisy!

This is going to be difficult to keep short and sweet but, I shall try!
Feel free to edit as you see fit. I am not very good with commas and run-on sentences, sorry!

The #1 reason why I love Heart Of Dakota is because I am able to implement a richly academic education that, above all, serves to place God in the center of our learning and our lives.
When we open our program for the day (Little Hearts For His Glory), I know that we are inviting God in, once again, to join us.

Additionally, I appreciate very much how the programs are written to really draw children in so that they genuinely love learning. Carrie (The Author) has managed to create programs that truly appeal to the way children love to learn. Plenty of purposeful (and doable!) hands-on activities, get up and jump-move around learning, interesting and appealing written materials and literature, and most importantly, a central focus on Christ.

I could go on and on but, that isn't what you were asking for!

Have fun sharing HOD with everyone. I was able to introduce HOD to two ladies (I told one, then she told another) and they both ended up ordering the program (LHFHG) and will begin in August. I am actually excited for them and their kiddos to learn with HOD. Funny thing is they both live in Missouri and I live in CA! Isn't the internet great?!!!

Candice :D

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:50 pm

I immediately loved how complete the programs are. No guessing about whether or not something is covered. All I have to do is open my manual and it's all spelled out for me, and yet somehow flexible too. The format of the teacher guides is concise, easy to use, easy to flex for your own needs, and easy to see exactly what will be going on that day. To have our relationship with God so central to all our learning and to see God's providence in history has been a lovely experience for us.

As a newbie homeschooler what I also loved was the support from Mike and Carrie and Julie. I mean to get emails answered directly, or to have a board that the author will post on is SO helpful. They have created a loving community where no question is dumb, nothing is to small to praise. And I COMPLETELY trust their book recommendations as they have proven themselves time and again. We are reading the kind of quality books I would have never dreamed of and I don't feel the need to preview them for content - I can just trust that HoD has done that for me.

We feel truly blessed to have found HoD!
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:46 pm

What I love about HOD is that I can meet all my children's needs individually from my very brightest child to my child with special needs while at the same time providing what I think is hands down the most God honoring curriculum on the market. I have watched my children, from my five year old to my twelve year old, grow in knowledge and love for Him while developing a true love for learning. I have seen my children apply over and over again the lessons learned from HOD in character and Bible to their lives and rightly divide the Word of God, to me that is the whole point of homeschooling. It would be worth a lot of effort to get what we have gotten from HOD but as it happens the added benefit of HOD is that all the work is done for you and it is completely open and go. And if you should happen to need help for your particular family's needs they are very willing to help. It is obvious is it much more than a business to them by the servant heart that is displayed toward the families that use their curriculum. As a busy mom of six who really wants everything they learn to honor God, it has hands down the best thing we have ever used. We're staying with HOD.

Daisy, shorten, correct fix and do whatever you want to it. You know my heart and I trust you. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

gotpeace91

Post by gotpeace91 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:10 pm

For us, HOD is FUN!! Therefore we are more likely to follow through with it. A Textbook type of school is overwhelming for us.

What I like about HOD is the Variety! It doesn't get boring. You are always moving from one book to another. It is not just ONE History book and ONE Science book for the whole year that loses it's attraction half way through the year (or sooner). It is so refreshing to finish a book and move on excitedly to the next one and it happens so fast.

It not only keeps the kids interest but mine as well. This is important! I am not just doing my own thing while reminding the kids to "Finish that page!" I am involved and this makes school fun for all of us.

I am not very disciplined most of the time and HOD gently keeps me on track. The way it is laid out really works for me to keep me from feeling overwhelmed.

HOD is centered around God and provokes some rather profound and helpful discussions.

I Love the book choices! It is so great to branch out from my usual interests and enjoy along with my children some great books that I can trust are going to be appropriate and useful.

I know my children are getting just enough school. Not too much and not too little. No more wondering.

OK I'm going to end it here although I could go on. Feel free to edit as needed.
Leah
~Leah
Wife to the Man I Love since 1994
DS 15 Missions to Modern Marvels
DD 14 Resurrection to Reformation

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:28 pm

HOD makes homeschooling fun for both me and my children! We look forward to our time together each day, and we are learning so much. History comes to life, science is filled with experiments I'm getting done, and Bible is a natural part of each day and gets to my children's hearts. My children have a passion for reading, poetry, and writing, and their grammar and math are academically sound. We finish our day in a timely fashion, so we can enjoy our free time the rest of the day. I spend my time happily teaching my children, instead of on planning and preparation. I can see myself completely enjoying homeschooling my children for years to come with HOD.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:39 am

These are wonderful. Thank you!
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

beandip71

Post by beandip71 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:20 am

I love HOD because each day is scheduled for me and my kids love all of the hands on activities. I am not a creative or crafty person by nature, so all of the craft and project ideas Carrie provides are extremely helpful to me. My kids learn so much using HOD and it does not take us all day long to get school done. I also love the read-alouds Carrie has so carefully chosen for history, science, and story time. They are God-honoring, age appropriate, and my kids enjoy them. I am so thankful I found this curriculum and I plan on using it long term for my children.

I hope that helps. Feel free to make any changes if you see the need. :D
CTC-10 y/o (dd)
Bigger-8 y/o (ds)

FiveLittlePeaches

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:05 am

Here's a few thoughts...

I have been homescholing for a couple of years now, and this is the first program we've used that my children and I are both equally excited about. First and foremost, it is a Christ centered, Bibically based program, so I know my children's most important needs are being addressed.

Last year, whenever it was time for school, my kids ran for the couch like they were running after the icecream truck. The lessons were easy to teach, and my children not only enjoyed them, but were able to retain a lot of what they learned!

I really believe Carrie picks the best resources available to Christian homeschoolers. Now that we've used HOD, I wouldn't even think of looking elsewhere.

Thank you for doing this, Daisy. I wish you the best as you spread the word about HOD!

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:53 pm

I can't say enough about Heart of Dakota!!!!

My husband asked our boys how they were liking school and they said, "It doesn't feel like school, Dad!" They love the art, movement, stories, notebooking, and activities.

Carrie Austin's very well thought out lesson plans design the day to where you feel like you are spending only a bite size amount of time on each area. We never have long drawn out lessons on any particular subject. But because the units camp out on themes for the week, the students feel like they really have time to digest each new topic. I have used other curriculums that are either heavy on reading or heavy on projects. These same curriculums seemed to suggest so many wonderful things to incorporate like geography, vocabulary, poetry study, experiments, etc. But the way these other curriculums suggested doing them was too hard to incorporate into a feasible schedule. Heart of Dakota is so balanced. The teachers guide has you do one day geography, then one day vocabulary; and plans everything in a way that you can now do those things you felt you wanted to do but had to leave out. I never feel overwhelmed. It has just the right amount of everything and is very doable. I open my teacher's guide and begin.

I also love that Heart of Dakota has devised their program to give you all the help you need, yet freedom to modify the program to your family and child's needs.

I feel I can trust Carrie Austin's educational background and teaching experience to plan a curriculum that will be comprehensive and comparible to State standards. She is very available to answer any questions on her message board or at homeschool coventions.

She has selected top quality "living" books that my children love to read and listen to. The guides incorporate Charlotte Mason's ideas of copywork, dictation, notebooking, and narration. And they give you all the guidance you will need to execute these with your children. They also continue Miss Mason's philosophies that "children are born persons" and education is "an atmosphere, a discipline, a life".

The best thing about Heart of Dakota is not only are all the subjects alligned in a way that children can make connections, but God is the constant thread. His hand is working through and all around the heart of our school day. He is more than a Bible verse at the bottom of the page or a quick Bible lesson at the breakfast table. He is the very reason we come excited to each of our lessons for the day!

Thank you Heart of Dakota for this great gift!!! We love homeschooling everyday with you!!!!
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Ladies,

You have me tearing up at the keyboard tonight, as I'm ready to sign off. I appreciate your gracious words and the time spent sharing your hearts with others who may be prayerfully considering HOD for their families. :D

You each are a blessing to our family and could give us no greater joy than to think enough of our guides to share them with others. We always trust the Lord to bring those to HOD who would be blessed by it, and He is always faithful.

I thank the Lord for each of you, who are an answer to prayer for us. Thank you for the privilege of serving you. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

zookeeperof3monkeys

Post by zookeeperof3monkeys » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:28 pm

I have to say that without HOD, all I would get accomplished is a lot of head scratching, eye strain,too little time for my family, headaches from too many hours on the computer trying to cobble together a curriculum, that would be far inferior to HOD. Wait, that's what I did last year. HOD keeps me on track but I can still add in what I want to, and have time left over for my husband. Last week, we were sitting down to do school ( in our sunroom), I looked out the window, it was beautiful. I checked the weather report, it said it will be mild all week, I told my son, we are playing HOOKY this week. He asked me what were we going to do if we aren't doing school :shock: ( he loves HOD). I told him we were going to play. We did nothing but play and basic household chores all week( even though he asked to do school, I said NO), and we have the to mosquito bites to prove it. :mrgreen: Even with taking a week off, I can pick up my Guide on Monday morning, and be ready for my week. I am never going back to our old way of doing school, never, never, never.
Kim
Greensboro, NC
ds 10 Beyond
ds 2 LHTH

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:32 pm

I love HOD because it is Christ Centered, organized, easy to implement and flexible enough to change to fit my children's needs. I am eclectic at heart and it has the best combination that I have seen of Charlotte Mason, Classical, Textbooks etc that I have come across in a curriculum! I thank God that He has led me to HOD!
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:54 pm

These have been so inspiring!! I'm sure they will be a BIG hit at the Newcomer's Social.

My husband read them and is kinda jealous, wishing he could use HOD in his first grade public classroom.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:38 pm

I just skimmed the rest of the replies, but here's mine...

I really LOVE the way it truly is open and go! I don't have to do any advanced planning if I don't want to. I can use what we have on hand and it works! All other curriculum that I looked at just confused me the way the teacher's guide was laid out, but HOD is very easy to see what I'm supposed to do. If the page is too "messy" it is very hard for me to see what I'm supposed to see... HOD is very neat and orderly.