cursive in beyond?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

cursive in beyond?

Post by happyhomeschooling » Sun May 31, 2009 9:46 am

DD is doing beyond and is 6.5, she has always exceled in hand writing, she prints at about a 2nd or 3rd grade level.
She is begging me to begin cursive, which I know is not schedualed until bigger, but would it be prudent to let her
begin it now, or is it best to wait. Any thoughts... My instinct personaly is to make her wait even though she
has masterd printing, but I am open to suggestions. Thanks for any input.
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Mom2Monkeys

Re: cursive in beyond?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun May 31, 2009 1:44 pm

I don't see any reason not to do it if she is ready. If I don't do cursive first, I'm going to do print in K with LHFHG and then cursive in 1st with Beyond. Just keep the amount of writing reasonable and enjoy! :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm

If she's been printing up to this point, I'd probably lean toward having her do copywork in printing for a bit (at least a half of a year ot a year) just to focus on copywork with a type of writing that she's already familiar with, in order to let the skills of copywork really sink in without having to focus on a new type of writing. Then, you can move into cursive after that. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will follow it!
Be Blessed
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG