supplimental science

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happyhomeschooling

supplimental science

Post by happyhomeschooling » Thu May 21, 2009 2:34 pm

DD is doing beyond,(which I have to say we are loving) and our state has hour requirements so I am always looking for suppliments. DD loves science so I was wondering if anyone else suppliments with science and what you have used. I have looked a little at AIG's science and it looks great, but that is about all I have looked at. We also do nature study. Any suggestions or expriences would be much appriciated. Thanks and Blessing.
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

gratefulmama

Re: supplimental science

Post by gratefulmama » Thu May 21, 2009 5:22 pm

Happyhomeschooling,
I have a book called "Even the Sound Waves Obey Him" by Nancy B. Kennedy for supplementing sceince (k-2). I heard about it from someone here on this board ( I don't remember who). We haven't used it yet but it looks really good. It is full of experiments that correpond with bible stories using simple, safe and "easy to find" items. I think I found it at Amazon. You should be able to at least check it out there. HTH
Blessings,
Victoria
Wife to my hero for 17 yrs
Blessed to be a mom through the beautiful gift of adoption 4x!
DS (10/03) CTC, DITHOR
DS (5/05) CTC, DITHOR
DD (5/08) LHFHG
DD (02/11)

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu May 21, 2009 5:55 pm

You could let them listen to the cd's (not the workbooks) from Lyrical Science. My kids loved listening (until our tape messed up). They are very catchy and fun tunes that are very educational! The exposure to the scientific terminology even without any formal lesson is beneficial and would count toward your hours :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

dale1088

Post by dale1088 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but these Outdoor Hours are neat! http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/
~Amy
2009-2010:
Lucy, 9, PHFHG and DITHOR
Elliot, 5, LHTH

simplepamom

Post by simplepamom » Fri May 22, 2009 5:47 am

I am looking at supplementing Apologia Exploring Creation with..... for my dd's. I am pretty sure I am going to do both my girls in Beyond, but my older dd is older, and i Will need supplements. I see that Carrie includes Apologia Exploring Creation with Land Animals, in CTC I think it is- so I think that would blend well with future lessons, and I have heard nothing but great things about it.

Brenda

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Fri May 22, 2009 5:54 am

Mom2Monkeys wrote:You could let them listen to the cd's (not the workbooks) from Lyrical Science. My kids loved listening (until our tape messed up). They are very catchy and fun tunes that are very educational! The exposure to the scientific terminology even without any formal lesson is beneficial and would count toward your hours :D
These look like fun! Is anything taught from an evolutionary perspective?
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 pm

I haven't used all of them, but I didn't see anything evolutionary. The same cd's are used by Veritas Press in their schools and recommended for "memory period" for homeschooled early elementary kids using VP. So, I'd imagine they should be free and clear or I bet VP wouldn't use them. It's primarily about exposure to terminology and recognizing those terms that are related, not full teaching of concepts and processes. You can see some lyrics on the item's site I think :D
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

juliekay

Post by juliekay » Sat May 23, 2009 3:34 pm

These look like fun! Is anything taught from an evolutionary perspective?[/quote]

They are fun. They are written from a Christian Science view point. Hope that helps!
Julie
2010-2011
ds 13 RTR plus
ds 12 RTR plus
ds 8 RTR
dd 5
ds 2
We loved using Bigger & Preparing

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sat May 23, 2009 5:06 pm

juliekay wrote:
They are fun. They are written from a Christian Science view point. Hope that helps!
I really didn't realize that! Well, that just makes them that much better!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon May 25, 2009 6:46 pm

happyhomeschooling,

Here's a link to a previous thread where we discussed some nature journal options we used with our kiddos at that age (and loved)! :D

However, be warned that in the thread I'm linking I had also discussed the probability of HOD making an extra 5th day option for nature study, composer study, art study etc. While this is an idea that I still deeply love and hope to do one day, as our guides move up in grade level they are becoming MUCH more time-consuming to write and research accurately leaving no time left for any additional projects. :wink: So, we've tabled the 5th day option project for now, hoping one day to return to it as time allows. :D

Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=527

Blessings,
Carrie