MFW CTG users

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom25

MFW CTG users

Post by Mom25 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:30 am

Hi there, I am strongly leaning toward continuing on with 2 programs in HOD for my 2nd and 5th graders, but I've also been looking at combining them in MFW CtG. Can anyone here who's used CtG give me reasons why they did or didn't like it, and how it worked with younger children specifically? Thank you!

Mamma Joy

Re: MFW CTG users

Post by Mamma Joy » Wed May 20, 2009 11:23 pm

Friendly bump :wink:
Wife to Mr. Wonderful for 18 yrs
Priviledged Mama to be able to homeschool 4 great kids
DD T.O.D. to be a Keeper
DD bigger with ext. & TOD
DS bigger
DD bigger
Tutor to many
DITHOR for all

O God Your Word has given me life.Psalm 119:50

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu May 21, 2009 7:53 am

I didn't use CtG but I did use ECC with youngers (as well as PK, K, and 1st). And it was a flop. It's just not geared toward the younger crowd...it's more of a teach to the olders and let the youngers catch what they can. It's a great program and works for some, but I just didn't care for it (in the case of teaching youngers) and always felt as if something was lacking. I found everything I was looking for right here with HOD!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu May 21, 2009 11:09 am

I've used MFW (but not CTG) but I can tell you why I prefer HOD...

1. The book selections with HOD are better, IMO.
2. Can I say, "DAILY" lesson plans?? I love that HOD does daily plans.
3. HOD adds in great discussions questions. I felt like I was left to draw our own conclusions with MFW.
4. I personally find MFW's Bible and Science too light. We always added to it and then I found our days would get off balance and take too long.
5. I prefer HOD's Language Arts selections. Another reason MFW was taking us so long. We were determined to stay with R&S English.
6. I like the idea of studying the Hebrew feasts with MFW but it bugs me that they are not lined up with the calendar.

As far as combining, it might be easier to do CTG but I felt combining with MFW meant that the subject material was too easy for my oldest and too hard for my youngest. So I was tweaking in BOTH directions.

I had planned on combing with HOD Ancients. When I was planning that, I was going to have my oldest do everything as written and I was going to customize plans for my youngest using library books on the history/science topics and using age appropriate language arts and math. We'd all enjoy the read-alouds.

Ultimately though I came to the conclusion that having a separate program for each child was BEST for THEM and would wind up being easier on ME, too. My oldest wasn't taking responsibility for her own learning. My youngest was frequently bored and whiny. They each need a level of work that is geared especially for them.

Ha, probably way more information than you wanted, but there it is.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Thu May 21, 2009 11:24 am

Thank you so much ladies. That's just what I needed to know. I guess I keep thinking combining would be so much easier and unifying, but I really don't want to lose the independence that my kids learned in Preparing this year, and I really want my younger ds to get what he needs. Also, I can see it being more work to make sure everyone's needs are met. So, thank you again! :P