Anyone Else Doing Year Round School?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lhazc

Re: Anyone Else Doing Year Round School?

Post by lhazc » Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 am

I'm new to the boards but I wanted to chime in. We have always schooled year around. We do 3 mos on/ one off. This gives us 12 week blocks for learning, yet not so much time off that we need review when we return. It also gives us April ( to get outdoors in the spring, & plant the garden) August ( to spend at the lake/pool) and December (to worship & visit family) free.

Mamma Joy

Post by Mamma Joy » Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 pm

We also school year round here with the only set break 2 weeks at Christmas time. The older girls are in Quizzing so they take a day off each time they have a quiz meet. [If you don't know what Quizzing is they are on teams of four and study one book of the Bible from September to May and are quizzed on their memory of the verses, content, situation, speaker etc. Excellent way to commit the Word to memory! Last year our 13 year old memorized 3/4 of Luke as well as 1/2 the concordance :D They are studying 1&2 Corinthians this year] Anyhow this format has always allowed us to take a day off here or there, or now that the two are older take a day and really dig into an area or a subject without having to worry about not finishing on time or getting off track. We do "skip" more days in the summer as we live in Northern Saskatchewan (we had snow today) and we really appreciate the summer as short as it is. Mind you more often than not even when we get it the van for a long drive each child grabs their bag, stuffs their books in it, and starts school in the van with the clipboards. I used to discourage it, as I wanted time off but now it has become such a part of our everyday it is no longer burdensome. We do have our moments, but nothing like before. We have the "Mom shop" where with good marks, excellent behaviour, service opportunities (chores shhh!), or by doing random acts of kindness, you can earn or be blessed with Mom dollars. I sell 1/2 days off for $5. If they are having a bad day, or an anywhere but here day, they can cash in their 1/2 day off coupon. It usually motivates them enough to get a few things done so they can be free. (They can use up to 2 a week) At least this method works for us.
Joyanna
Wife to Mr. Wonderful for 18 yrs
Priviledged Mama to be able to homeschool 4 great kids
DD T.O.D. to be a Keeper
DD bigger with ext. & TOD
DS bigger
DD bigger
Tutor to many
DITHOR for all

O God Your Word has given me life.Psalm 119:50

SoaringEagle

Post by SoaringEagle » Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 am

I too decided to school year round. We do a 4-day schedule since we have co-op on Fridays. We don't really have a schedule but I may try something like 4 weeks of school and 1 week off or something like that. We'll just do math and phonics during the summer along with fun crafty stuff and any science experiments the kids want to do.
~Juli~
Wife to P
Mommy to dd Froggie - age 7 - BLHFHG - August '10
ds Hot Wheels - age 4 - LHTH - August '10

http://soaringeagle91.blogspot.com/

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 pm

lhazc wrote:I'm new to the boards but I wanted to chime in. We have always schooled year around. We do 3 mos on/ one off. This gives us 12 week blocks for learning, yet not so much time off that we need review when we return. It also gives us April ( to get outdoors in the spring, & plant the garden) August ( to spend at the lake/pool) and December (to worship & visit family) free.
This plans sounds interesting to me! I might have to give this a try, or something very similar considering I need more than a month off around december for the new baby...Thanks for sharing!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

AboveRubiesMama

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Sat May 23, 2009 7:54 am

We start about mid-July and then take of completely between Thanksgiving and New Years, when we start up again. I did this last year just because I had a baby due between those times but it was so nice to focus on the season without worrying about school work. :)
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Sat May 23, 2009 8:59 am

AboveRubiesMama,

We too started in July, and because of moving, and the holidays we didn't get much done between October and December. We just finished our first year, and I haven't decided if I want to do school year round. But, starting in July seems to give us the time we need to get through. :D

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sat May 23, 2009 7:55 pm

We school year round. I have some children with special needs, and we miss a lot of school time for various therapies and Doctor appointments. So, we do school every day that we can to make up for the days when formal schooling is not possible.

Also...my kids are SO disappointed on days when we don't "have school". They don't like Saturdays! They thrive on having something to do, and I like it as well. : )

Shannon
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

JenO

Post by JenO » Sat May 23, 2009 9:17 pm

mrsrandolph wrote:We school year round. I have some children with special needs, and we miss a lot of school time for various therapies and Doctor appointments. So, we do school every day that we can to make up for the days when formal schooling is not possible.

Also...my kids are SO disappointed on days when we don't "have school". They don't like Saturdays! They thrive on having something to do, and I like it as well. : )

Shannon
This is us too! :) Although, we aren't doing a lot of therapies right now. Our oldest is special needs. But, having school everyday is great, because we do have 'off' days with my daughter's health and just uh...life in general with lots of little ones ; ) My kids seems to love having the structure of school. I too am thrown off on the weekends sometimes, because of the lack of schedule. I love having my hubby home, but I do look forward to the beginning of the week many times.
Married 10 years to my best friend
Mommy to 5 blessings
DD-8.5 (4p- genetic disorder)
DS-7
DD-5
DS-3.5
DD-2
DD-due at the end of Sept!

BLHFHG
Alphaphonics
R&S Math
HWWT
Lots and lots of reading!

http://www.makemydayscount.wordpress.com

happyhomeschooling

Post by happyhomeschooling » Sun May 24, 2009 10:38 am

Us too! For one thing HOD is so teacher freindly and pleasent to use, it makes it so easy to not need a long break, we simply do not tire from it :D . Aslo it is so nice to stay in the "grove" of things. We do about three days a week, and if there is somthing that comes up or a vacation, we simply take that week off. That is what is soooo wonderful about homeschooling and the flexiblility that HOD provides.
Wife to my best freind for 21 yrs. Mama to Stephaney, Elizabeth, and Victoria who are home with the Lord. Blessed with my Destiney 7, currently using BLHFHG

Dustybug

Post by Dustybug » Mon May 25, 2009 8:14 pm

I school year round as well, but without a schedule. I'm like a pp, that if we need to take a break, we do, and it's no biggie! I love that aspect of homeschooling!
Dusty
Mommy to
Gabriella (7) BLHFHG, ETC, Song School Latin
Aron (5) TMJ's Fruit for Tender Hearts, ETC, Singapore Essentials Math K
Lydia (3) Learning letters, numbers, shapes, and colors
http://www.tothemoonandbackblog.net