Warning in Preparing!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mom25

Warning in Preparing!

Post by Mom25 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:07 am

Someone else may have already caught this, but we read a very gory (and upsetting) :shock: chapter in Child's History of the World today, and there was no warning in the guide like there usually is. It was chapter 76, called "Upside Down," about the French Revolution. So, you might just want to make a note of it if you're planning to use Preparing.... :roll:

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Warning in Preparing!

Post by Carrie » Thu May 14, 2009 10:14 pm

I'm so sorry! I agree there should have been a content warning on this particular chapter. I went back and checked my original notes on this, and I had noted a warning for this chapter (which somehow I either missed adding in the guide or deleted by mistake in one of the rounds of editing). I have made a note of the change, so we can add it in the next print run of Preparing Hearts, which will be awhile off as we print large runs. We try very hard to warn parents of any upcoming content issues, and apologize for this one.

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 14, 2009 10:20 pm

Carrie wrote:I'm so sorry! I agree there should have been a content warning on this particular chapter. I went back and checked my original notes on this, and I had noted a warning for this chapter (which somehow I either missed adding in the guide or deleted by mistake in one of the rounds of editing). I have made a note of the change, so we can add it in the next print run of Preparing Hearts, which will be awhile off as we print large runs. We try very hard to warn parents of any upcoming content issues, and apologize for this one.

Blessings,
Carrie
Thanks for doing this at all, Carrie! I don't know of any other guides that do this, and I have appreciated the warnings so much (especially for any evolutionary content that creeps in). For my older ds, he has done fine with every bit of PHFHG, even the parts you warned us about (he's not the sensitive type), but my middle ds will probably need those warnings, so then I'll be even more grateful for them! :wink:

Mom25 - Thanks for pointing this out in a nice way. The tone of a post can make a world of difference in how it is perceived, and your tone was with the intent to help others. As always, Carrie responded graciously with kindness.

In Christ,
Julie
Last edited by my3sons on Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Fri May 15, 2009 7:18 am

Hi there! :) I will begin Preparing... this next school year with my ds and was wondering if you could let me know the Unit and Day that this is read? Thanks so much! :)
God bless, Michelle
12 yo ds using R to R for 6th grade!
8 yo dd using BHFHG for 3rd grade!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri May 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Michelle wrote:Hi there! :) I will begin Preparing... this next school year with my ds and was wondering if you could let me know the Unit and Day that this is read? Thanks so much! :)
God bless, Michelle
It is in unit 32 Day 1. I looked because I am a big content watcher. :wink: It looks like a very easy part to skip. The page has the word UPSIDE DOWN and it is upside down literally on the top. I appreciate the warning. This one is not one that would bother me but I completely understand that it would bother someone else. I know HOD is writing to please the families in progress and will need the next level on time, and it is understandable things will get missed sometimes. I love though that HOD is of the mindset to listen and correct things instead of just telling you something like 'you are free to screen things yourself the authors decided blank, blank'. They are willing to warn people who may be really sensitive to these kinds of things. I am always so impressed with the high integrity and great customer treatment HOD gives. It's how publishers react when stuff happens that really shows their heart and I love how HOD has such a servant heart. We are looking forward to Preparing next!
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri May 15, 2009 5:20 pm

May I suggest you make a sticky (admin locked) in preparing forum where any edits like this one can be noted. For future reference...
Just a thought.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Sat May 16, 2009 7:36 pm

Am just now getting back to this post and reading replies. I wanted to add a huge thank you to Carrie for all your work on screening the content. I know it is a HUGE job that I can't begin to imagine! I do have one child who is very sensitive, so I appreciate it all the more. I did stop in the middle of several sentences and read ahead quickly when I saw things getting bloody, which piqued my daughter's curiosity. What's funny is the scene: she was begging me to keep reading, while my son was plugging his ears saying, NO NO NO! It was actually a little comical (though my son didn't think so!). Anyway, we all LOVE Child's History of the World, so I hope my post doesn't discourage anyone from reading it...

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Sun May 17, 2009 1:54 pm

I remember that story (my older son went through the book this year with another program...before I found HOD). My son was rivited. :roll: I can see how a more sensitive child would be horrified!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.