Materials list for each guide?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amck1992

Materials list for each guide?

Post by amck1992 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:03 am

I will be doing little hands, little hearts and bigger this fall. Has anyone ever compiled a list of materials/supplies needed for each manual? I realize the materials needed are often found in the home, however, after searching through bigger, there are a number of things I don't typically have. Therefore, I would l like to get a list of materials needed for each unit so that I can prepare ahead of time. If no one has ever done this, to ease my stress, I'll compile a list during my free time this summer.

Ann

eazbnsmom

Re: Materials list for each guide?

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue May 12, 2009 7:18 am

Hi,

I don't have a materials list for Little Hands to Heaven (I do know you need lots of masking tape. ;) )

These were compiled by Tamara:

Material List for Bigger
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3u3nnmmro ... 20List.doc Or if you have trouble opening it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/u2voigmmz ... 20List.rtf

Material List for LIttle Hearts:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/drnddjjhh ... 20List.doc or if you have trouble opening it:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2womgiy3z ... 20List.rtf
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

amck1992

Post by amck1992 » Tue May 12, 2009 7:52 am

WOW! Tamara did an incredible job! This is above and beyond what I would have done. Her list will be incredibly helpful!

Since I plan on continuing with HOD all throughout my kids grade school years, has she prepared a list for Beyond and Preparing?

Thanks,
Ann

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Tue May 12, 2009 8:31 am

Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue May 12, 2009 9:21 am

I can't take credit for these! LOL I got them from another HOD mom and just made a few personal changes. She is working on Preparing I think. There is another post here somewhere with links to other places you can get them if you can't get them on mediafire.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Tue May 12, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Ladies,
Yes, I am working through the Preparing materials list as we work through it this year. I have had to take a few weeks off, so I got behind (due to health - migraine issues), but I hope I'll have something useable to share with you all at the end of the year.
The other lists were made as I went along and I kind of gave up on Beyond this year (as far are we got anyway), so I could get Preparing caught up and done. Beyond was put up over on the yahoo group's files. I think the others are over there too.

I would really appreciate any prayers for my headache issues, Ladies, as I've been battling this for over a year now (March '08) and am still trying to find a medication to help prevent them for me that won't cause the side-effects that do me in. Thanks so much!!
Charlene
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
World History (11th gr. dd)
HOD Users since 2007

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Tue May 12, 2009 11:00 am

I am sure the list looks great but I was unable to look at it. I just look at the week I was going to do and make sure I had what I needed for the week. If I didn't have the stuff I would improvise or just do it later or plain skip it. Most of the time we didthe stuff because my children like the stuff.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

kayben

Post by kayben » Tue May 12, 2009 11:11 am

Thank you so much for your hard work. I will lift you up in prayer. Migraines are so terrible! I wish I knew answers but prayer will have to do.
Rebecca
SouthernMrs wrote:Hi Ladies,
Yes, I am working through the Preparing materials list as we work through it this year. I have had to take a few weeks off, so I got behind (due to health - migraine issues), but I hope I'll have something useable to share with you all at the end of the year.
The other lists were made as I went along and I kind of gave up on Beyond this year (as far are we got anyway), so I could get Preparing caught up and done. Beyond was put up over on the yahoo group's files. I think the others are over there too.

I would really appreciate any prayers for my headache issues, Ladies, as I've been battling this for over a year now (March '08) and am still trying to find a medication to help prevent them for me that won't cause the side-effects that do me in. Thanks so much!!
Charlene
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

amck1992

Post by amck1992 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:15 am

SouthernMrs wrote:I would really appreciate any prayers for my headache issues, Ladies, as I've been battling this for over a year now (March '08) and am still trying to find a medication to help prevent them for me that won't cause the side-effects that do me in. Thanks so much!!
Charlene, I will keep you in my prayers. I wanted to mention to you...I did quite a bit of research years ago on migraine headaches that both my son and me suffered from. There was a strong link between magnesium deficiency(and I most recently learned Vitamin D deficiency) and migraine headaches. I take a powdered form of Mag. called Natural Calm. I've also added and extra 1000mg of Vit D each day(especially b/c I live in the North and don't get enough sun). I have not had a headache since and a number of other health issues I dealt with went away.

Blessings,
Ann

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Tue May 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks so much for the prayers, Ladies. I really appreciate them!

Ann, I hope you do not mind, I've PMd you with a question about the Magnisium.
Thanks!
Charlene
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
HOD Users since 2007

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Charlene,

I'll pray for your continued migraine issues. I was so hoping that you were progressing toward an answer for those! I pray that Ann will be able to help you with some other options for dealing with the migraines. The Lord knows what you need and may have connected you with Ann for this very reason. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Wed May 13, 2009 8:50 am

I don't have migraine problems, but have been researching lately about food additives and how they can affect behavior esp. in children. For what it is worth, a book I am reading by Dr. Sears, NDD, listed MSG as a problem for some and describes what happens in the brain. I thought, no problem, we don't eat much of it, but when I started reading labels carefully, I have been shocked! The food industry has disguised MSG under different names, even "natural flavorings". For a complete list of MSG additives, Dr. Sears recommended http://www.truthinlabeling.org. The phamplet I downloaded states that, "Migraines are the most often reported reaction to MSG..."

SouthernMrs

Post by SouthernMrs » Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate any help. Yes,I have read about MSG as well and I do avoid it. I have developed so many food related sensitivities with this situation it is pathetic. My wonderful husband has been baking me gluten free bread once a week and I have to cook my meals separately most of the time. I know it is so much healthier for all of us to eat "organically," but honestly our grocery bill is high enough without having to buy organic for all of us. I buy MSG free broth from Trader Joes (love that store!) and use it to cook rice and potatoes and such that I can eat. If there are any type preservatives in it, I do not eat it.

My hubby took all of us to Hawaii earlier this year on one of his working trips and I did so well while we were there. I was so thankful that Hawaiians eat rice for breakfast! :D I was able to get rice right off the breakfast bar every day. My children enjoyed pancakes with coconut and pineapple on top. :lol: We took our HOD materials with us and read every day and the children got to swim for 2-3 hours each day. It was wonderful! Hence, this is my main reason I have made the materials list up for our family. When we travel with my husband, I need to make sure we have what we need, the everyday type things, for our lessons that you won't normally find in a hotel room. This list also makes my packing go very quickly. We were in Waikiki for 3 weeks... and got to see a Coral Reef up close!

BTW, while we were there, we took the children to swim at Hanama Bay (a carefully protected beach that has coral reef right up to the beach area) and rented the snorkeling gear. When the children realized there would be LIVE animals in the water with them, I could not get them into the water to save our lives! :D It was too funny! They spent the rest of that day making sand-castles on the beach. But another day we did get to take the Submarine tour of some artificial reefs at a different location and saw all kinds of fish, sea turtles and such swimming around the reefs (150 feet below water). When the boat took us back to the dock the captain told us that humpbacked whales had been sighted, so we watched and watched, and finally after we got back on land, we got to see a group of 3 whales spout off in the distance. It was so interesting to see all these wonderful things that my dd (who is doing Preparing this year) had been reading about this year. It was a great trip!

Anyway, how's that for getting off topic... :wink:
Charlene

Rev2Rev (8th gr. ds)
HOD Users since 2007

kayben

Post by kayben » Wed May 13, 2009 11:49 am

I wanna go...
Rebecca, Wife to amazing DH 21yrs..
dd 15 10th grade PS,ds 14 8th grade PS
dd 11,dd 9
dd7,dd5
ds4,dd 2

icukirt

Post by icukirt » Wed May 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Have you thought about seeing a holistic doctor or chiropractor. There are so many approaches!! Are you getting a B complex vitamin as well as C? The other poster was correct. If you take calcium you also need magesium as they bind for absorption. B and C are water soluble so once you reach the right amount and it doesn't accumulate.

I'm a nurse so I know there are lots of meds out there, but alot of times a great chiropractor who is well versed in nutrition can be a great asset!!

I'll be praying for you!
Kirstin
Kirstin
wife to Scott since 2001
step-mom to ds (14) in private school
mom to ds (5 1/2) will start LHFHG 2009-2010
mom to dd (2) who is speech delayed and has just started speech therapy