Best approach to teach worldview

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Love2Learn

Best approach to teach worldview

Post by Love2Learn » Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 am

I have read in other posts that Carrie has used Sonlight in the past. I am very interested to know more about how HOD's and Sonlight's philosophies differ - specifically the exposure to and discussion of other religions,cultures, and viewpoints. My husband and I feel that now more than ever it is important for our children to understand the concept of "worldview" as well as to have controlled exposure within the context of home to some of the uglier aspects of our world and history so that as they go out they will be prepared with a biblical worldview and can stand up to challenges of their faith.

Sonlight is very specific about purposely exposing children to difficult issues through their readers and read alouds and their philosophy about doing such. However, with SL I am concerned about the *seemingly* lack of scriptural reference to help flesh out some of these issues, as Carrie has so beautifully done in Preparing...for example, in one of the weeks we read in Child's History... about the Portuguese attacking the east coast of Africa for their trade and riches. We are then referenced to read what King Solomon has to say about worldly riches. I am not sure that I would have thought to tie those things together and appreciate the guidance to contrast those two viewpoints.

I am also seeking input as to the means by which SL presents difficult topics, that is through literature. If I am not mistaken, Carrie selects literature which inspires christian character through positive modeling and not by exposing readers to darker themes.

I am torn as to which approach is better and if any of you have wrestled with this issue: the most effective way to teach biblical/christian worldview. Is it best to use literature to expose children to the darker sides of society/mankind or to use literature to inspire by example christian character?

Carrie,
Can you speak to how worldview will be adressed in older guides (I have a rising 7th grader, 5/6th grader, 1st, and PK). We have by the way thoroughly enjoyed, been blessed, and learned with Preparing this year. I would also love to hear more about how your philosophy differs from SL. Perhaps that has been addressed in other posts?

Thank you,
Jennifer

spidermansmum

Re: Best approach to teach worldview

Post by spidermansmum » Wed May 06, 2009 10:09 am

Im not sure how qualified I am to comment,I have only used HOD,but I have the sonlight catalogue. :wink: I am not bashing sonlight-I am looking into it for my 13 yo-and I think some of the books it lists are great.But we didnt choose sonlight with my kindergarden aged son last year or this next year coming for him.
I think the difference between HOD and sonlight I have seen [just from reading the catalogue] is that Sonlight say they dont include hands on activities.I think their catalogue states[27 reason not to buy sonlight] that they dont feel children need to be told how to play with a stick or a cardboard box- in sonlights words-they dont need mom or dad to be creative.So the guides dont include hands on activities related to the theme. HOD does lots of play based creative activities and thats what I wanted
worldview-Some believe that children start by heavily steryotyping and gradually start sorting into more defined groups.I guess its like initially to a young toddler all men are Daddies,gradually they start a more refined classification process -that all men are not Daddy. That being said - I am in England and teaching american history successfully to my Six year old.I do know that I do not want to cover things like worshipping other gods or cover the more violent parts of history with my six year old yet,neither do I want to heavily edit the texts I am reading with him. he is not sheltered completely -we go to a homeschool group that has children from other faiths but he is not yet ready to grasp this yet.
So thats my vey unqulalified opinion
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Jessi

Post by Jessi » Wed May 06, 2009 11:47 am

Jennifer- I wholeheartedly agree about now more than ever introducing various worldviews to our children at home so they will know the truth and the lies when they leave our home. I do like a lot of Sonlight's stuff for that reason. My philosophy- when in doubt about presenting something that is secular in nature go to Ecclesiastes, Proverbs or Paul's letters to the various churches. Open a concordance and dig in. :wink: However, it is SO nice to have it right there to look at. :D So I understand.

Actually a while back I almost left HOD and went with Sonlight (mostly because of my husband's prodding) to have exposure to other cultures and beliefs and teach our children logic. Mind you, our children are quite young and we agreed that this was not the age to expose them to some of those beliefs. So we have stayed with HOD and I am pleased with our decision this year. I plan on using some of SL literature anyway as I think some of their books are just fantastic for teaching Biblical and worldview philosophies.

I think HOD is great in the young guides (haven't used the older guides so I can't specifically comment on those) because it develops a love for the Bible and presents it as the most integral part of history. Excellent basis to start with. I know Carrie mentioned covering Evolution vs. Creation at least in some part in the last guide she is planning on writing which should be available in 3 more years. Most of what I have read indicates that any other beliefs or religions that are shown in HOD are compared to the Bible and our beliefs. I don't know how much of it teaches your child to be discerning for themselves but the guides right now are targeted for 4-5th grade...so not much they can discern. They'll believe pretty much whatever anyone tells them at that age. But by junior high I fully plan on including logic and apologetics with my children. I'm hoping that the last two guides Carrie is doing will have something like that included...but not sure. Carrie- do you plan on including more than evolution vs. creation in the later guides to teach other culture worldviews specifically and to help students reason for themselves?

I think in a perfect curriculum (this is my preference) there would be a GREAT balance of literature that exposes children to varying viewpoints and literature that teaches Godly moral character traits! Best of both worlds in my opinion. :D

I'd love to hear more perspectives on this from others.
Jessi
~~~~~~~~~
Wife to Brad for 10 years
Emma- 7 Beyond, DITHOR,
Logan- 4.5 LHTH, R & S workbooks
www.ourmodernmemories.blogspot.com - personal blog
www.modernmemoryfilms.com - our wedding videography site

momontheprairie

Post by momontheprairie » Wed May 06, 2009 11:48 am

I have used both, but I am more new to HOD. I love SL books, but unless I was actively involved in their readers I felt a little out of the loop as far as darker themes go. For instance, my son just read The Cat Who Went to Heaven. It has a heavy Buddhist theme, but unless I pre-read each chapter I was clueless what he would take away from it. My son is at a better stage to filter out the right from wrong, but he is also drawn heavily to Eastern cultures so I was uneasy at times that he would be lured in. I feel safer with HOD. Also, the history read alouds in core 5 had some very mature themes (ie. tribal birth control in one book) that I didn't feel was appropriate for a 10 or 11 year old. Now I love SL and understand their philosophy, but I don't know if I am the best mom to teach it.

I really like the hands-on aspect of HOD too. I thought SL would be easier, but HOD's activities have been so simple that I haven't felt overwhelmed at all.

Well, back to worldview... I love HOD's style and it is very safe. If you wanted a more missionary focus to add to the worldview I would suggest YWAM or Sower's series stories. At least these books are Christ-centered, although some things can be sad and scary at times. I plan on using these for the biography sections in DITHOR. Having used both I like HOD's worldview better.
Carrie
Married to Major Dan for the last 13 years. :)
Preparing with ds 11, 9, and 7
Little Hearts with dd 4
Everyone does MUS, Queen's LL, Latin, and Bedell at mealtimes :)

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed May 06, 2009 5:00 pm

HOD teaches worldview in every part of every lesson but tying it all back or looking forward to God and his creation and plan. Dark and deep themes, pagan gods and cultures, mythology, etc. are avoided in the early elementary years and a firm foundation is built in Biblical truth. And I do mean FIRM! You'll be amazed!

Starting in Preparing (so around 4th grade), a one-year history overview introduces ancient egypt, etc. I haven't started Preparing yet, but I know it's just like the other 4 guides I do have! The biblical approach is fully there and there is plenty of scripture to show God's truth. I've never seem a more Biblically sound curriculum. You can be sure the books have been pre-screened and carefully chosen. If you look on the home page for HOD, I think you'll find a link to Carrie's reasoning behind not doing a 4yr history cycle in the younger years-- I think that will answer your question quite well.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Lynnw

Post by Lynnw » Wed May 06, 2009 5:47 pm

It seems like most world view curricula are geared for the highschool years. But I heard John Stonestreet (I think is his name! :oops:) from Summit Ministries speak at a homeschool conference and I thought I heard him say that Summit Ministries had a worldview curricula for younger students that would be marketed through Apologia this fall. I have yet to see anything about it on Apologia's site or anywhere else... but it might be worth keeping an eye out for. He was a great speaker! I learned a lot!

Lynn
Married 19 years to Dh, Detective and Army Reservist: 1 tour in Iraq, 1 tour in Afghanistan
ds 12.5 (7th grade) RevtoRev
ds 9.5 (4th grade) Preparing

dd 8 (3rd grade) Beyond
ds 6 (K/1st grade) Beyond
dd 3

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:06 pm

I can't answer your question, because I've never used SL. (My sister, however, has switched to HOD from SL and says "she's never going back," though she enjoyed SL.) I just wanted to chime in because we just read the story about the Portugese attacking the west coast of Africa, so it sounds like we're in about the same place. I have consistently been impressed, like you, that these kinds of issues are framed biblically, with passages to read and discuss. Also like you, we are increasingly concerned with establishing a biblical worldview in the hearts of our kids. I'm convinced HOD puts us on a direct path to that goal. We also recently purchased Brannon Howse's book about teaching worldview to children. We haven't started it yet, but we're planning to soon.
Last edited by Mom25 on Wed May 06, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:50 pm

As I have heard over and over, the best way to discern truth from lies to to KNOW the truth. So for our family, we want to KNOW the truth and then when we encounter worldy lies we will easily recognize them as lies and not be confused. When researching which curriculum we would use it came down to SL and HOD, and among the reasons that HOD won out is that it is all about laying a firm foundation of TRUTH before even looking or exploring other worldviews. I was initially intrigued by SL's premise of introducing other worldviews earlier on, I soon felt very uneasy about doing that with my children and chose HOD and have been very glad to have done so. Even within the bible we have opportunities to see other cultures and their worship of gods, so my daughter and I have had many discussions concerning other worldviews and how the clash with God's truth. At this tender age, I don't believe you have to go outside the bible to teach your child truth from lies, it's all right there. I want my dc to know that all their questions can be answered by the Word of God and that they dont have to rely on the world for answers.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

momofabcd

Post by momofabcd » Wed May 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Lynnw wrote:It seems like most world view curricula are geared for the highschool years. But I heard John Stonestreet (I think is his name! :oops:) from Summit Ministries speak at a homeschool conference and I thought I heard him say that Summit Ministries had a worldview curricula for younger students that would be marketed through Apologia this fall. I have yet to see anything about it on Apologia's site or anywhere else... but it might be worth keeping an eye out for. He was a great speaker! I learned a lot!

Lynn
Summit Ministries does have a worldview curriculum for grades 1-6. There is a full explanation of it on their website. From what I understand, half of the year discusses worldview, and the other half of the year studies through the Bible. So you get a solid foundation in Bible truth with worldview study in wisdom, fellowship, becoming more like Jesus, Servanthood, Stewardship, then in 6th diving into other worldviews. I've drooled over it. I looks really good!!!
Deena
Mom of A Graduated 2017, B 12th, C 8th MTMM in 2018/2019, D 6th Res to Ref 2018/2019, E 3

Love2Learn

Post by Love2Learn » Thu May 07, 2009 8:14 am

I am so appreciative for each and every reply written so far. I am really seeking the best for my children, which is of course to nurture a lifetime of seeking the Lord and filtering what the world has to say and contrast that with God's word. I do feel that your responses are helping be to explain what my uneasiness is with Sonlight, and I really would rather sort these issues out now rather than later.

Please, keep the posts coming if you have something to add!

I will also look into the Summit resources, which Carrie has mentioned in another post regarding possible high school choices. I am very thankful, Carrie, that you are sharing your thoughts so far about high school, as we value your opinion regarding the olders as well!

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am

I believe that we do not need (espeically in the early years) to go any farther than the Bible to teach our children about other worldviews. If a nations does not have God as their Lord then they are no different in their worldviews than the Assyrians, the Philistines and other nations who worshiped idols and practiced godlessness and even Israel itself who are mentioned in the Bible. Reading it will give us the good biblical foundation we need in teaching our children. When we do come across some things in books or movies or even in people that we meet (which is inevitable), we always ask our children..."What does the Bible say about this?" and teach them to compare everything to the Word of God and it's guidelines for our life! :D
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Thu May 07, 2009 1:14 pm

I really thought Sonlight would be it for me at first. But I couldn't get over how much old earth, evolution and other stuff I don't want my kids exposed to, is used in the younger years. I just can't stand usborne books. However, I don't want my kids sheltered and there is a lot I like about SL. Unless something erlse comes up, we'll be using it for high school. That's when I think the kids really need to grasp world culture and other religions.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG