Creation to Christ

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
threegreatkids

Creation to Christ

Post by threegreatkids » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:36 pm

If I were to use this program with two children, grades 4 and 5, next year, could I also adapt it for my 2nd grader? If I had 4 dc I'd be open to 2 programs, but with 3 it would mean my youngest would always be left out, doing his own thing. I know some other HOD programs would make more sense for the three ages I have, but we are looking for a bible-rich Ancient History program for two particular reasons...1) Because of what we have previously studied and 2) To tie in with our co-op. The other option we're looking at is MFW CtG.
Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!
Mom of three great kids
7th grade dd, 6th grade dd, 4nd grade ds

Mom25

Re: Creation to Christ

Post by Mom25 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:35 pm

I don't have an answer, but I'm in the exact same boat you are, so I'm curious to see the answer!

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:07 am

I haven't done CTC yet, but I have a 2nd grader next year and from all I understand..AND the fact that CTC is the highest level manual thus far...I would think it would be WAY too much for a 2nd grader. Each level manual builds on itself and requires more and more writing, more and more grammer, more and more creative writing, notebooking, journaling, etc...

Have you looked at the placement test to see where exactly your 2nd grader falls? I guess you could just have your 2nd grader listen in on the discussions, lessons, etc.. just not require the amount of writing and extra that it entails?

I understand your situation as I too combine my kiddos. But at the same time I wouldn't want it to be to the detriment of your youngest.

Best wishes on your search!
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:34 am

Thanks for your input!
What if I purchased "BHFHG" and used the right side pages to direct his activities, while still letting him sit in on the read-alouds and fun activities for CTC?
Mom of three great kids

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:53 am

That would probably be a much better solution. However, have you looked at the placement section first? That would be the first place I would start in looking at just which guide he truly fits in with.

I'm sure Carrie/Julie and the other ladies on the board will have a lot more input, but they too will want to know exactly where he fits placement wise before giving proper advise!
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:49 am

Ah, I see the chart :)
OK, so skill-wise he would best fit in BLHFHG, plus we have many of the books from that program (we did MFW Adventures), as well as many of the emerging readers books. Could I pare down the program a bit and skip the read-alouds in order to keep everyone together on some stuff (and not burn me out :) )? In other words, CTC as our "core" program with a tweaked BLHFHG to meet the needs of youngest?
Mom of three great kids

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:23 pm

I just wanted to pop-in and welcome you to the HOD board. We're glad to have you here! :D

CTC is designed for 4th and 5th graders with extensions for 6th and 7th graders, so we wouldn't recommend the content that is within that program for a 2nd grader. You would also lose much of the independent design of the CTC program by doing the history and science as read-alouds when those areas are designed for the child to do independently. It's important to note the letters in the upper corners of each box of the CTC plans designating the box as either T (Teacher Directed), S (Semi-Indpendent), and I (Independent). :D

You could easily do Beyond for your 2nd grader at half-speed doing the left side of the page one day and the right the next to keep your teaching time down to a minimum, while training your older kiddos to use the CTC guide as designed (to be more independent). Then, once your kiddos hit their stride with CTC, you could always bump Beyond up to full-speed (only doing it 4 days a week to match the 4-day plan in CTC). In this manner, you would use the next year to finish Beyond, while your olders would move on to our next program after CTC. Just some food for thought. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:23 pm

Threegreatkids - Hello to you and welcome to the HOD Board! :D We did Preparing Hearts... (PHFHG) and Beyond Little Hearts (BLHFHG) this year. We have about 3 weeks left - and oh my, we've had just the best year! :D We did PHFHG 4 days a week, and we did BLHFHG half-speed for a bit and then upped it to 4 days a week. So, this coming year, we will be doing exactly what Carrie just described for you to do: CTC 4 days a week, and BLHFHG 4 days a week (only half-speed to start with for your little one). I know that this will be totally manageable because CTC is even more independent than PHFHG, and this year we finished by lunch time every day. We do stick to a schedule and clip along with the day, but it is very doable with 2 HOD programs - especially since each upper guide continues to get more independent. :wink: The ancients time period is full of excitement, but also full of gods, goddesses, mythology, and a lot of things that may be tough on tender young ears. I think BLHFHG would give your little one his own history/science befitting his age level. Then, if you wanted, you could have your little one listen in on any read-aloud CTC selections you thought were appropriate for him. There would be no pressure for him to listen in all of the time because his history/science would be nicely covered with BLHFHG already - so he could just sit in on any CTC readings you wanted him to for pure enjoyment. :D Just an idea! :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

threegreatkids

Post by threegreatkids » Tue May 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks for explaining how it works to do two programs, Julie and Carrie!! This message board is so informative.
I wonder if we might chose storytime books that would work for all 3 kiddos?
Mom of three great kids

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue May 05, 2009 4:45 pm

threegreatkids,

Yes, you could. Since both Beyond and CTC have the Boy Interest/Girl Interest read-aloud option, you could choose one storytime set to do with all of them or mix and match and make your own (making sure you have at least one book from each of the 9 genres in order for the plans to work). Then, I'd just teach one set of Storytime plans, either those from Beyond or those from CTC. :D In the past, we've done storytime with our crew at lunch, with their mouths full (and quiet) and their ears open. Just a thought. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie