Do your kids enjoy HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sue G in PA

Do your kids enjoy HOD?

Post by Sue G in PA » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:43 pm

That seems like a silly question, I'm sure. If they didn't, you wouldn't be using it, right? Let me explain a bit. We've only been homeschooling independently for 2 years (the first 2 we used a cyber academy). In those 2 years, I feel like I've read about, used or at least looked at every curriculum/book/program under the sun, hoping to find the perfect "fit" for my kids. There were some winners, some losers and some "so-so's". As my 2 oldest return to public school next year, I'm faced with some decisions...big decsions. I feel like God is leading me to re-evaluate my homeschool and education goals re: my children. In my quest to find the "perfect" programs and not "miss" anything, I think I've pushed too hard and destroyed their love for learning and their natural curiosity in the process. :cry: But, no use crying over the past...I can only look ahead to the future. I want my kids to enjoy learning, to LOVE learning and to stay naturally curious about the world around them. I don't think I can do that w/ textbooks and workbooks, KWIM? Most of all, I want them to draw closer to the Lord. There are so many great programs out there for science, history, etc. that are biblically based. I've tried most of them. My kids didn't like many of them. I won't mention names. It could have been b/c of my teaching. I don't know. So, here I am at HOD and I really, really like what I see. I thought I wanted to follow the 4 year History cycle and not just focus on Amer. History, but it totally makes sense to me now. Anyway, could anybody offer their thoughts on HOD and possibly any testimonies of how HOD has helped "reignite" their child's love for learning? I feel like God has led me here, but I felt that way about other programs, too. Next year cannot be like the past 2 years or I'll lose my younger children, too. Thanks for your thoughts!

water2wine

Re: Do your kids enjoy HOD?

Post by water2wine » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:05 pm

All six of my kids absolutely love HOD. If they catch me looking at math or LA they will make sure that we are still going to do HOD. My younger kids make sure we save the older kids books and they are already fighting over who gets it when we are done because they want to use it with their kids. But in all honesty you said the most important thing. I think far more important is being where God leads you in educating your children. When I came to HOD I knew God was leading me here and that was the main concern. I think some people find happiness where ever they go and unfortunately for others that is harder to do no matter what is in front of them. But most important is seeking Him and if you feel He has answered then I would let that be my lead. I think that is where you always find the most joy anyway in His will. But we do love HOD. And what I love most about it is I can see God using it to teach my children more about Him and those blessings are very clear for us.

Praying you find peace in your decision! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:24 pm

In a nutshell:
Yes, all of my children LOVE Heart of Dakota.
:D
Rebecca

spidermansmum

Post by spidermansmum » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Yes -my son enjoys HOD.Thats not to say he never groans when I tell him its time to do school.He has ADHD and aspergers -so im sure some of our difficulties arise with that.We have made some amazing progress this year.I think we got our best compliment yet as we were looking round a museum .We were not allowed to take photo's so Nathan was drawing little doodles on his notepad of anything that intrested him.We recieved some lovely comments from the tour guides -mostly at how refreshing it was to see a child wanting to learn. :D I thank HOD for that
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

LeAnna

Post by LeAnna » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:57 pm

I was homeschooled growing up.... using more the traditional method, and using a hodge podge of curriculums. It wasn't bad, I just got burnt out with learning, and I think my mom got a little burnt out with teaching it. That having been said, with my own children I wanted to go a different route, and the Lord lead me to Heart of Dakota... just as I was about to give up on homeschooling all together, for a number of reasons...fear that I would get burnt out and wouldn't stick to it; didn't want to have to disect a classroom based curriculum to fit our home; etc. I had a feeling it would be more than I thought I could handle. :?
I can't say enough about HOD! My kids love it! They are learning so much more than I ever thought they would! We love snuggling up on the couch reading such great books! Our days go so smoothly; Mom has time to get housework and dinner done; etc. etc. I could go on and on! I would highly recommend giving Heart of Dakota a try!!!

It has been a such a blessing to our family!!! :D

LeAnna
Love my husband of 18 years this year;
Love my 3 teenagers--13, 15, and 16. They keep me young, but hanging on for dear life! :lol:
Used HOD in the earliest years with all three of them!

Mom25

Post by Mom25 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:00 pm

My kids love HOD. We did LHFHG and Preparing this year and it was a wonderful year. Before that, we did two years of MFW and also enjoyed it, but not as much as HOD! My sister has used MFW, WP, SL, TOG and has finally found HOD and is HOME. She just said to me today, "Oh, I SO wish I had found this with my two older kids."

jg_puppy

Post by jg_puppy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Does my dd enjoy every moment of HOD? No, but she does enjoy most of it. In fact she got out her poetry notebook today and worked on it just because she wanted to work on it. She has asked to do several of the activities again. We have tried so many different curriculums. This one has been the best fit for us.

Janet

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Yes! Yes! And, yes! :D (And, so do I!! :D )

My oldest went to a small Christian school for K and 1st. Then we brought him back home and did a textbook/workbook approach. We both have LOVED doing Bigger this year. The reading is all so interesting. Our day is balanced between all the things we want to cover. The Lord is part of all of our learning as we look to what His Word says about everything. My son loves the activities - mostly because we're actually doing them! :roll: They are doable for him, really use things I have on hand, drive home the point of the lesson, and don't take long to do. There's also a great balance in different learning styles through the daily plans - visual, auditory, kinesthetic. It keeps it interesting.

My little 2 love school time with LHTH. It's fun play time with Mommy! :D I'm sometimes amazed at what they're retaining, too. This morning in church Pastor was talking about Abraham and God having him look up at the night sky to show His promise of making him a great nation (when that was impossible humanly speaking). On my left side, Allison jumped on my lap and said, "Mommy, we learned that! Remember, we were in the tent." Garret, immediately said, "Yeah, Abraham and the stars," from my right. Now, that was one of their favorite stories this fall, but I was thrilled that they're still remembering! :D

Wishing you Happy HOD Days, too!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

tiffanieh

Post by tiffanieh » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:21 am

Oh yes, yes, yes and quadruple yes!!!

For the very reasons you listed, are the EXACT reasons why I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that this year homeschooling has been SO successful is all due to God leading us here. Our days are FUN, and yes, we still have to do math and LA, but when you throw in HOD into the mix it's not your typical boring worksheet oriented schoolday. We love the rhymes in motion, love the dramatic plays we get to do. love the science. Love the art projects. But most importantly, as a mom trying to build Christian warriors in these times, this curriculum centers around God and His hand throughout all of time, then, now, and forever more. I love the snuggle time as we read incredible books and the stressfree approach to schooling.

I can't imagine you going wrong if you chose this direction for your family!!!
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

Sue G in PA

Post by Sue G in PA » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 am

Thank you so much everyone. This is what I wanted to hear. Something needs to change in our home and homeschool next year (well, now actually!) and I'm hoping HOD will be exactly what we need. The basics must get done, but I'm just hoping that the rest of our school day can be fun and engaging so that the basics won't seem so "bad".