Yay! Box Day--Saturday. Amazing shipping! a couple ?'s

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
learning_is_fun

Yay! Box Day--Saturday. Amazing shipping! a couple ?'s

Post by learning_is_fun » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 am

I ordered my stuff last Thursday, and was hoping to get it this week before going to convention on Thurs. I got home from family functions Sat. afternoon, and it was here!!! I was so amazed, and excited! It was a busy weekend, though, so I didn't have time to sit and look at anything until yesterday. It looks wonderful! Now I just have to have the patience to wait until next year to use it (my kiddos are in ps right now). I just wanted to say thank you, Carrie and Mike for the wonderful service!

A couple questions...
Can I do the extension pack as a read-aloud, although I will have a 5th grader? It looks great, and I hate for my 3rd grader (and myself) to miss out on those selections. I do want to foster greater independence in my 5th grader, but would love learning and sharing the material together. Any thoughts?

Is it alright to use books for DITHOR that they have already read before? My sons love to read. My 10 yr. old has been plowing through Hardy Boys books (and some others) for the Accelerated Reader program in school. He reads Sugar Creek Gang (and some others) for free reading at home. I'm worried about finding enough books that I approve of him reading next year. I hope to have a huge list of options for him to choose from when we go to the library. I'm thinking your reccomended DITHOR books list would be a great place to start, because I trust those would all be good, decent books. But, then I'm afraid he'll get through a lot of them too quickly, and I won't have enough options left for DITHOR each year. When my box came, he wanted to snatch up the chapter books I had ordered. I am going to have to hide them away for next year. :D Any suggestions on other great reading for independent leisure reading time???

Stephannie
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC