Ordered today :) Still have ?s about Enlish--R&S/Shurley

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
learning_is_fun

Ordered today :) Still have ?s about Enlish--R&S/Shurley

Post by learning_is_fun » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:52 pm

I was just too excited!!! I couldn't wait until I had English (and I'm still debating math) figured out! I was thinking R&S 2nd grade for my 3rd grader, and R&S 4th for my 5th grader. Carrie thought this was a good plan, so it's probably what I'll end up doing. I did notice that the 3rd English said it would work for combining 3rd-5th. I was wondering if this was a possibility for us, or if my 3rd grader really needs the basics in the 2nd level first?

I hope this is ok to ask about other curriculum on here, but I was also curious if anyone had any experience with Shurley English? I was given a level 4. Since finances are so tight, this is what my husband reccomended I use. It looks great--seems very thorough, but I've gotten myself set on R&S. I haven't seen R&S in person, but it just sounds like it would be a lot easier to implement. The Shurley English looks a little confusing--might be more time consuming for me to figure out. I will be going to convention next week, and R&S will be there, so I should, hopefully, get a chance to look that over and get a better idea. I would love to hear input from anyone who has or is using Shurley. Thank you so much!

I can't wait for my box to get here!!! (But then I have to wait until the Fall to start it :( )

Stephannie
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC

ksjk3

Re: Ordered today :) Still have ?s about Enlish--R&S/Shurley

Post by ksjk3 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Yes, I have used Shurley English. I have mixed emotions about it. I used it when I taught in public school, and I liked it for whole class instruction, but I found it very time consuming with homeschooling. My oldest (now 5th grader but was 4th grader last year) didn't like it. She really needed more written, daily practice rather than just oral. When I taught in public school, I discovered the same thing. I had to supplement with more written practice because the kids had difficulty transferring the information. I decided to switch to R&S, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! It gradually increases in difficulty, and I can balance oral practice with written practice much easier. I can even have my two girls work on their English independently at the same time while I oversee them. It's not nearly as time consuming to teach. I hope this insight helps. Everyone has different needs for their family, and for mine, Shurley English just wasn't a good fit.

Kristi :)
Kristi

Mother of 3 girls ages 10, 8, and 3 years

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:32 pm

I did Shurley 1 with my dd and it took about 30 minutes a lesson with lots of flipping, getting the right songs going, making the activities work well for non-group lessons, and adding my practice on paper. I'm not fond of it, plus she didn't remember a thing!

Now, we're using R&S and LOVE it! She is retaining SO SO much and it is so quick and easy. I use the TM for the oral review before each lesson...so I just sit back with my dd on the couch with the white board and teach from my book while she follows in hers. I do a couple sentences from each section orally and/or on the board, then I have her do 1-2 on the board to make sure she understands, then I assign a few to be written in her notebook. She actually LIKES grammar now and is retaining so much more! It's just so easy to follow! I also have her do the worksheets now so it will slow us down a bit. If there's a worksheet for the lesson, I have her do it the following day and many times don't do a new lesson that day...we're year-rounders and have started "3rd grade" with book 3, but she's officially 2nd grade til August. So, the slower pace is perfect!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

learning_is_fun

Post by learning_is_fun » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:57 pm

Kristi and Tamara,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and share your experiences with each program. This was very helpful to hear. I was already leaning towards Rod and Staff, and this has just confirmed for me that I need to find a way to scrounge up a little extra money and purchase the R&S :) I know a lot of people use Shurley and love it, but from what I've been able to tell from reading about both, I just think R&S sounds like it would be a better fit for us, also. I'm sure we would do fine with Shurley, but I'm thinking it definately sounds worth it to go ahead and spend the little extra to get the R&S. I think we'll like it!

Thanks again, ladies,
Stephannie
Stephannie
DS13--Rev to Rev
DS11--CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Stephannie - We really love R & S too - I think you'll be glad you got it! I've taught for 13 years (between ps and homeschooling), and it is hands-down the best grammar I've ever used. The retention is excellent, and the concepts are taught in such a way that a solid foundation is established and built upon year after year.

In Christ ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie