Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
inHistiming

Question

Post by inHistiming » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:39 am

I am going to be ordering (I think) Bigger for next year. I noticed there is a Book List for $5.00 listed as an optional purchase in the Bigger package. Can someone explain to me exactly what this is? Thanks! :)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:06 am

I just got it a while ago. It is an extended list of things that work by reading level for DITHR. Carrie is a good book picker so I think it is worth having.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 am

It is just lovely! Its a nice list of books listed by genre and reading lvl. I have used it many times for putting books on hold at the library. Just reading it realizing I have some great choices for her reading in my bookshelf. Like I own The Kings Equal it been a favorite of mine for years, It was on my book shelf not hers. lol

My best friend and I have been exchanging children's books for decades. So I have the cat wing series, and various other books. My dd has never really opened up.

So for me it has saved me lots of time. Before I used bookadvenure.com to find books at her reading lvl. but I always had to vet the books before I let her read them. With Carries list its get and go!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm

So, I could order the book list, and use it to find the genre books at the library for DITHR? Then I wouldn't have to order the book packs? Also, could I use this for the daily read alouds and the extension pack for Bigger? My husband has been gracious enough to give me a very nice budget for this- I don't even have to talk to him before I order if it's under a certain amount! Such a sweetie. :) However, I am frugal by nature and I want to make sure that I am not spending more money than I need to. Thanks ladies for putting up with my questions- I guess I would be an Olive?! :? Guess it depends on the situation. Anyway, all help is appreciated!

Callia

Post by Callia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Hello,

I have a related question about the book list. What reading levels does it cover? Does it just go up to about 6th grade level, or does it extend to the 8th grade level?

Also, I remember someone on this site asking if it was available as a download. The answer was no. But I think it would sell really well if it was a download. I would probably purchase it right now.

Thank you! :)

Callia

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi Callia! Our list is tattered it has been used so much! I cannot believe they sell it so cheaply. It covers grade 2 on up through grade 8. It lists books according to genre, grade level, reading level, and according to popular book list resources. I've used it for read-aloud ideas, DITHOR book ideas, and auditory book ideas. Anyway, I bet you'd love it!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Callia,

The book list isn't available as a download yet, as we were unable to figure out how to do that with the other server we were on. With the server change now, we may eventually have it available for download, but it's far down on the list of things for our web-designer right now! :)

Keeping up with writing and launching a new product every year is consuming all of our time, and we've discovered if we spend our time taking care of the little details (which are great ideas but not absolutely necessary), we don't have time to get the new product out. So, we have to let some great ideas go right now.

The best we can do right now with the list is to offer it customers as economically as possible. Since DITHR functions completely without the book list, it isn't necessary, yet it is a great resource.

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:51 pm

inHistiming,

If you're willing to use the list or find your own books with DITHR that is definitely one good way to save money. It is truly written to work with any book you choose. The same is true for the read-alouds for Beyond and Bigger...

As far as the extension pack, it is more difficult to use the library, but it can be done. You would need to go through the extension package and see which books your library does not have and purchase those. You would also need to make sure you can get those books in the order that they are scheduled in the Appendix as they correspond with the history plans by day.

So, if you were only purchasing one set, the Extension Pack would be the best to have on hand.

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:52 pm

inHistiming wrote: However, I am frugal by nature and I want to make sure that I am not spending more money than I need to. Thanks ladies for putting up with my questions- I guess I would be an Olive?!
For the Olive you do not necessarily need it. The website book store has several great books already broken down to genre. You can use whatever books you want. And you being an Olive can actually organize that fine. I am way off the scale Betty with a kid that reads books like candy. It made sense to me to have it. Plus I got to be honest. I think I was called "over protective" earlier. Well...I am :lol: And what my kids read is huge on my list. One of the huge things about HOD for me is that I really trust that they care about what my kids see too. So I knew that list would be books that they had sifted through for me and that I could give to my kids to read without worry. So for me it is a bargain! And really if you want a good book list it is a bargain anyway.

But really don't need the list. In fact it is designed to be used with any book you want as long as you know the genre and that your child can read it.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Callia

Post by Callia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:28 pm

Carrie,

By ALL means, stick to the main things! We are praying for your family, as I am sure that you remain very busy all year preparing the wonderful manuals. :)

I am thankful that you are an "Olive" and not prone to go off in tangents like I am!

Callia

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:30 pm

Callia,

Thanks so much for understanding about the list! Good things sometime go undone in lieu of something better! :D

Blessings,
Carrie