Anyone Familiar w/ "Adventures in Odyssey"?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happy@home

Anyone Familiar w/ "Adventures in Odyssey"?

Post by happy@home » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:19 am

Is anyone familiar with the "Adventures in Odyssey" audio CD's?

Are they accurate?

Do you have a favorite?

I had considered getting a few of these to listen to in the van for my 5 & 6 year olds. I try to be careful when I buy things about the Bible and about history. I want to make sure they are true. I think Focus on the Family puts these out, so I think they would be safe. I figured this was the best group of ladies to ask!!! :lol:

Thanks!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG
We have completed: LHFHG & BLHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

spidermansmum

Re: Anyone Familiar w/ "Adventures in Odyssey"?

Post by spidermansmum » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:36 am

We have som old tapes of these and they are fine-quite good stories and sound effects.
- Delighted to have used LHTH,LHFHG and Beyond, Bigger , Preparing and DITHOR
currently Using
LHTH slowly with my 2 year old
Starting Bigger with my 8 y/o About to add on DITHOR
Finishing Preparing with my 12year with ASD/LD

Amey

Post by Amey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 am

We have a series of these CD's and although there are some great stories/life lessons I do not like the way the children characters speak to each other sometimes..bickering, tone of voice etc. I do let my sons listen to the ones I have approved but others we have to skip. We much prefer the "Jonathan Park Adventure Series" and find those to be more edifying. HTH! :)
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:44 am

Amey wrote:We have a series of these CD's and although there are some great stories/life lessons I do not like the way the children characters speak to each other sometimes..bickering, tone of voice etc. I do let my sons listen to the ones I have approved but others we have to skip. We much prefer the "Jonathan Park Adventure Series" and find those to be more edifying. HTH! :)
If you don't mind, Amey, which ones that you know of had the bickering involved. I DEFINATELY don't need those as we have enough of a problem in that area already!! :oops:
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

"For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me and guide me."

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 am

If any of you prefer the "Jonathan Parks Series" - do you have a favorite?

I know very little about the "Adventures in Odyssey" and nothing at all about the "Jonathan Parks Series".

Thanks!!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

8arrows

Post by 8arrows » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:27 am

We much prefer Jonathan Park for the same reasons. We loved all of them, but our least favorites (though still nice) are the two new ones--the zoo and the aquarium. The two new ones are more informational, less adventure.
Melissa, wife to Jim for 28 years
3 graduated, 2 using US 2, 8th grade dd using Missions to Marvels
Isaiah 40:11 ...He gently leads those that have young.

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:38 am

What age range do you feel the "Jonathan Park Series" is best suited for?
Laurie:
Wife to Daniel since June 2002
Mom to: Odessa (5) using LHFHG and Emerging Readers from BLHFHG,
Sophie (3), Nadia (2), and Elliana (newborn)

Amey

Post by Amey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:42 am

The Adventures In Odyssey we have is a series called "On Thin Ice". I asked my 6 year old son to recount for me some of the "not so polite" remarks that he remembers:

The son speaking to his mother in a rude tone "Good grief, I said sorry!" and then the word "stupid" is used several times which is not allowed in our house.
And then just some comments that are not very kind in my opinion. I have also listened to the show they have on the radio from time to time and felt similarly. All this to say, we will not be buying any more Odyssey. Other than that, I can't give you more detail about which ones are more appropriate.

On the other hand, we own "Jonathan Park, The Adventure Begins" and have not heard "stupid" once. Frequently my son gets excited because his HOD memory verse is quoted in the shows. You can find them at http://www.visionforum.com
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009

Amey

Post by Amey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:44 am

I would say ages 5 and up
Amey

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:00 pm

"Each episode is approximately 26 minutes. In addition, a 94-page study guide is included to help guide you through evolution, archaeology, creation, theories and places. 4 CDs; 312 minutes total run time. "

I found this discription of the first volume of the the Jonathan Park series at Christianbook.com... do these present creation from an evolutionary standpoint?
Laurie:

pollo_la

Post by pollo_la » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:08 pm

Okay, I just read further... They COMBAT evolution! :D My library carries this series (Jonathan Park). I am excited to hear what these are about!
Laurie:

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:24 pm

Amey wrote:The Adventures In Odyssey we have is a series called "On Thin Ice". I asked my 6 year old son to recount for me some of the "not so polite" remarks that he remembers:

The son speaking to his mother in a rude tone "Good grief, I said sorry!" and then the word "stupid" is used several times which is not allowed in our house.
And then just some comments that are not very kind in my opinion. I have also listened to the show they have on the radio from time to time and felt similarly. All this to say, we will not be buying any more Odyssey. Other than that, I can't give you more detail about which ones are more appropriate.

On the other hand, we own "Jonathan Park, The Adventure Begins" and have not heard "stupid" once. Frequently my son gets excited because his HOD memory verse is quoted in the shows. You can find them at http://www.visionforum.com
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, Amey, for your honest reply here.
I had NO IDEA! :oops: :o
The word "stupid" is not allowed in our home either. My dh and I are doing our best to instill respect for parents (and anyone else for that matter) in our dc. I for sure don't want to give them something to listen to that portrays disrespect. :oops: I will be checking out the "Jonathan Parks Series". :D

THANKS AGAIN :lol:
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG

Amey

Post by Amey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:34 pm

:D :D You're more than welcome. :D :D
Amey

keeleykats

Post by keeleykats » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:01 pm

I agree that there is a lot of bickering and disrespectful tone in the Adventures in Odyssey series. There is also a lot of whining. I stopped buying them. We enjoy Your Story Hour CDs. We also have the Jonathan Park series and all of Little Bear Wheelers Historical Devotionals.

happy@home

Post by happy@home » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:07 pm

keeleykats wrote:I agree that there is a lot of bickering and disrespectful tone in the Adventures in Odyssey series. There is also a lot of whining. I stopped buying them. We enjoy Your Story Hour CDs. We also have the Jonathan Park series and all of Little Bear Wheelers Historical Devotionals.

Thanks, Keeleykats! I have looked into the Jonathan Park series and will look at Your Story Hour as well!!
Happy@home
ds(10/02) dd(3/04) BHFHG