Carrie -"What in the World's Going On Here" question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
KatieM

Carrie -"What in the World's Going On Here" question

Post by KatieM » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:14 pm

I thought I read somewhere that kids are to take notes while listening to "What in the World's Going On Here" CD. Is that still the plan, and could you elaborate on how that will work?
Thanks,
Katie

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Carrie -"What in the World's Going On Here" question

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Katie,

We had originally considered this option, however we have delayed it to a future guide for now. Taking notes from an audio presentation is very tough, and Diana Waring speaks VERY quickly (making note-taking from her nearly impossible).

We also desire for kiddos to first learn to take notes from a text, which we would like for Rod and Staff English to cover well first, and then we will follow up that concept in our guides. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

KatieM

Post by KatieM » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I will look for that to come up in future guides. I think that it's great you thought of this very imortant skill that kids will need. I am working on teaching my 12 yr. old to take notes from written works, but I hadn't thought to teach him to take notes from speaking. As we all know, a big part of college is taking notes while the teacher lectures! If you have any resources for teaching this skill that I could use now with my oldest son, please share it with me!

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:33 am

Katie, just wanted to mention how I have worked on this skill with my 9yo. Our children are with us during church so they always hear the sermon. She takes notes of the sermon. I sit next to her and help guide her when the next point has been made. Then we compare our notes after service. She has improved greatly doing this. It gets them used to listening for important points.
Wife of 18 years to Jon.
DragonFly (12yo)
Buttercup (14yo)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm

I fully agree that note-taking from the sermon is a wonderful way to practice beginning note-taking from a "lecture". We do this with our own boys as well. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Daisy wrote:Katie, just wanted to mention how I have worked on this skill with my 9yo. Our children are with us during church so they always hear the sermon. She takes notes of the sermon. I sit next to her and help guide her when the next point has been made. Then we compare our notes after service. She has improved greatly doing this. It gets them used to listening for important points.

We do this as well, and then we talk about our notes on the drive home. I am often out with my toddler for the end of the sermon, and my ds's notes have become a lifeline for me to hear the end of what was said (as well as my dh's comments). Now, my middled ds is just starting to take some notes, and boy am I reminded how this skill takes some real time to grow. :wink: Anyway, this was a great thing to share, Daisy!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

KatieM

Post by KatieM » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:35 pm

I will think on the church note taking idea. I, too, have a little one who is getting much better at handling church, but I still miss out on parts of the sermon. I could get filled in by my older son's notes! I guess I'm not quite sure how to get him going on it, though.

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:23 am

ya know the notetaking at church is a good idea. My 9 year old has been following along since she was 7/8 but then spaces out when it's time for the sermon.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/