Preparing Hearts Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Rebecca

Preparing Hearts Question

Post by Rebecca » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 pm

I am starting to plan my supply list for next year. I was wondering if anyone who is using Preparing Hearts could share any of the accessory type things that they purchased or needed/found useful. I remember there was a thread about a Common Place book back in the beginning of the year.

I found it so helpful when ladies shared what type of notebooks they were using for Bigger, etc. So I was wondering if anyone could chime in here...!
Thanks! :D
Rebecca

my3sons

Re: Preparing Hearts Question

Post by my3sons » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Oh, isn't it fun to look ahead to that, Rebecca! I love planning for that. :D It helped me to go through the Introduction in PHFHG and pick how I wanted to do things (there are usually a couple of suggestions). We did the index cards and recipe box option for vocabulary cards, and my ds really liked that. We bought composition books (from Walmart) - which looked a little more mature than the other lined notebooks - and he has enjoyed those too. We used clear sheet protectors and a 3 ring binder for the notebooking, which he organizes into history and science separately. He also chooses his favorite things (projects, DITHOR, etc.) and adds those to the binder. We halved index cards and put them on the inside of our closet door for the timeline, and it has been great fun to watch it grow. :D For the common place book, we got a beautiful book from Master Books. It has Bible verses and quotes from Christian authors in it. It has an antique-finish and is really neat. Have fun choosing what you like best to do! You will love PHFHG, it has been just a great year for us! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

netpea

Post by netpea » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:44 pm

Ok, I have to know, what is a commonplace book?
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

gracelikerain

Post by gracelikerain » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Hi, :)
I have all the same books Julie mentioned. However, for my common place book & written narrations, I bought a spiral notebook for each. Oh, & their science is in a composition notebook that has the top blank for their drawings. the bottom has lines. The common place book is where we put all poetry, Bible verses & copywork.

Blessings, :D
Georgette~
Isaiah 54:13
Blessed with 5 awesome gifts from God!
Trail Blazing 4 HIM!
dd-12-CTC
dd-9-Preparing
ds-6-LHFHG
dd-3-tagging along & keeping life real fun!
ds-5 months

mom2fiveboysnc

Post by mom2fiveboysnc » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Julie, do you mind sharing the isbn # for your common book? I looked at the Master Books catalog online and couldn't find it and it sounds wonderful. Thanks! Cheryl
mom2fiveboysnc
C 23 engaged
J 21 cc
K 18 farm
E 14 CTC, EIW, Yr 2 Rainbow/Landry labs, co-op: math, spanish & ancient lit; Landry Academy airpower hx & science
B 10 PHFHG, EIW, SM/MM, co-op: NC hx, science, art, OT/Ancient Egypt history

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 am

mom2fiveboysnc wrote:Julie, do you mind sharing the isbn # for your common book? I looked at the Master Books catalog online and couldn't find it and it sounds wonderful. Thanks! Cheryl
Sure! I bought it a year ago, so maybe Master Books doesn't carry it anymore. I found it on New Leaf Press's site:

http://www.nlpg.com/store/advanced_sear ... 7f&x=0&y=0

There are several neat choices. We used the Creation journal - it is beautiful, and it also works for a boy. :wink: All of them were beautiful! HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie