Combining 1st and 4th grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
dawntx

Combining 1st and 4th grader?

Post by dawntx » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Hello! I'm new here. I have 4 blessings! 2 boys- 9, 6 and 2 girls- 4 and 10mos. We homeschooled last year and this yr. put our boys back in ps. Our hs experience was difficult! We used a borrowed 2nd gr. SL curriculum and MFW for the youngest. I fought my oldest on a daily basis to "do school".We only did the 3R's w/ SL but I was worn out from the daily battle and I convinced myself that I was not any good at this. Well, after much prayer and encouragement, we've decided to try this again next yr. My boys will be in 4th and 1st ( 10 in Nov. and 7 in July) My 1st grader fits right in line w/ BEYOND and my 4th grader is mainly in Preparing except I wonder about writing, grammar and math- maybe BIGGER! All I know is that school has got to be a fun learning experience for ALL of us this yr! I am determined!!!

My oldest has an eye convergence disorder and I'm wondering if the amount of reading would be discouraging or frustrating to him?

I thought to make my life easier I'd like to try to combine the boys- could I meet in the middle w/ BIGGER? Teach the 7yo. the R side of BIGGER and the 9yo. w/ DIHOR and extensions? Is BIGGER too hard for a 1st grader for the history/science section? Is there really too big of a gap to teach together?
I really don't want either to miss or skip anything because it all looks fun and amazing!Quite a dilema!!!
I have also considered Preparing and Beyond for each one but I'm afraid of how much time that would entail and how to make it work. ($$$ too!) How do some of you teach separately? Do you teach one totally and at a different time teach the next child? I don't want to teach ALL day and not give my girls what they need either. I'm trying to make it work in my head and getting a little overwhelmed!
I would love to hear some input- Thanks!
We have used LHFHG<BLHFHG>BHFHG>PHFHG>CTC>RTR>Rev/Rev
14ds-Rev-Rev
11ds-CTC
8dd-Bigger
5dd-LHFHG

tiffanieh

Re: Combining 1st and 4th grader?

Post by tiffanieh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:44 am

I am sure more experienced and wiser women will jump in here for an answer but off the cuff I don't see this being too huge of a problem. Given that your oldest has the vision problems and that you are trying to bring them home once more and make homeschooling appealling. I would think going with Bigger for your oldest may be good. Hate for him to miss out on the awesome program Carrie wrote anyways! As far as your youngest goes he could do the majority of the stuff along with brother but just get the Beyond book to supplement in the right side with him.

For me personally I would always try and combine as much as possible given it's for their benefit and not detriment. The easier it is on you the happier mommy you will be ;) and that means a more enjoyable school day.

BTW....I imagine this year going MUCH better now that you've found HOD! Your kids are really going to love school and all the fun stuff they'll get to do. Wish you the very best!

Looking forward to see what others have to offer as advise!
Tiffanie
http://www.thehagefamily.blogspot.com
Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, 1/2 of BHFHG and now doing PHFHG
Mommy to Ethan (10) and Ashton (9)

wertzeemom

Post by wertzeemom » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:18 pm

I am new as well, and don't have any advice - I'm trying to decide what to do as well next year! I just wanted to say that we're in similar situations. I hs'd last year, and quit because it was too difficult to juggle school with my 2 girls (then in K and 2nd) and my 1 year old. We moved to a new area and enrolled our kids in PS because we were unfamiliar with the are and had a hard time finding other HS families before the year started. Needless to say, we're not happy with PS and have decided to hs next year. My girls will be in 2nd and 4th, and I'm trying to decide the best fit for them. Blessings to you in your decision-making process and maybe we can be a support to each other when we start our journey again next school year!
Stephanie
10 yo DD -
8 yo DD -
3 yo DS -

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:52 pm

dawntx,

I wanted to welcome you to the board and also encourage you that the ladies are great about helping you talk through options until you find the best fit overall. 8)

I agree that since your kiddos are coming home from school and your oldest has some eye issues, it would be a good idea to combine for history and science if at all possible. Since the gap between your kiddos is fairly large, I'm wondering if you would be willing to share just a bit about how well each child is reading, writing, and doing in math? :D

One way to share a bit about where they are in these areas would be to share a book title or two the kiddos are currently reading on their own (or if your 1st grader is still doing phonics). It would also help me to know if your first grader can copy a sentence yet and how easily your oldest copies several sentences or a paragraph at a time. Next, if you can mention if you think they are on grade level in math or have struggles in that area that would help. Last, I'm wondering how well each kiddo listens to chapter book style readings with few to no pictures. :wink:

When you were having difficulty previously with your oldest son, which areas were really a struggle for him? I ask, because we want to minimize that struggle and make his (and your homeschooling) the best it can be from the start. 8)

The ladies and I will be along to help advise you even better once you get a chance to share a few more details.

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Stephanie,

I also wanted to welcome you! :D We're glad you're here. If you haven't already gotten to post a new thread introducing yourself and asking advice, I'd encourage you to do that when you have a minute. :wink:

The ladies will really help you talk through options until you find the best fit for your family, and I will too! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

dawntx

Post by dawntx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:27 pm

Ok, I realized after rereading my post that I was considering putting my 1st grader in BEYOND for the "basics" not for BIGGER! OOPs, sorry about that!
A little bit more about my boys, let's see... Luke, the 9yo. is reading fine and enjoys it - he likes to read some Magic Tree House books and Matt Christopher sports fiction. He's probably a little behind where he should be. He can blaze through the MTHouse in an hour or so. I wasn't sure for a while how well he was comprehending but he is suprising me. His eyes just tend to lose focus after a while. Doc says his vision is 20/20 but his eyes don't work well as a team. The words/letters begin to float across the page after reading intensely for a period of more than 10 min. or so(but he definitely reads longer than that). Anyway, he will go to vision therapy for about 6 mos to correct the prob.(YEAH!) but we will still be in process when school starts. He can write/copy a paragraph- spelling is not always perfectly copied especially at the end of the day-Handwriting and any copy work tends to decline as the day wears on just because his eyes are flat tired! But, considering everything- He can do a LOT! I just want to be aware of how much HOD would expect for him -reading on his own each day, etc.? Is there so much that he would be overwhelmed at the beginning w/ the ext. pkg?I'm really excited to do narration w/ him and see how he does! Math is really the biggest issue w/ the struggling. He DISLIKES it INTENSELY! We tried to back up in 2nd to MUSee Alpha- thinking that it would be visual and helpful- it was still a struggle! He's progressing on grade level although, he has grown quite a bit- I am assessing him w/ the Singapore 2A-I'll keep you posted. Place value, subtraction w/ regrouping & word problems tend to be our biggest hangups. He has some facts memorized- not mult. or div.- but he understands the concepts.
Landon really fits in the BEYOND placement perfectly! He can read pretty well, we're still learning sight words- He was reading Wacky Wednesday(Cat in Hat type book?), this am w/ my dh and needed "help" just a few times. I thought I would work some more on phonics/rdg. this summer- just to make sure- (I'm chicken cuz of Luke's issues) he may be able to do the emerging readers!? Do they start on a 1st grade rdg. level or closer to 2nd and progress from there? Math, he enjoys and gets- I thought I'd put him in Singapore 1A to start. As for writing, he can copy sentences- he makes homemade books all the time!
Will Bigger "history" push him "beyond" first grade capabilities- I'm all about challenging him- I just don't want frustration to set in for him, too!
Sorry, the "little bit" you asked for turned into a lot! Hope it's not TMI!
Thanks for your time, help and suggestions, Dawn
14ds-Rev-Rev
11ds-CTC
8dd-Bigger
5dd-LHFHG

mamaloves4

Post by mamaloves4 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi Dawn,

Welcome to the boards! Your post grabbed my attention because the ages of your two oldest match mine (only I have girls) and thought I would share what we do. I am actually doing both Beyond and Preparing (no extensions). I don't find the independent reading(I have never really timed it, but it can't be more than 30-45min and definitely not all at once) to be too much in Preparing---there is actually a lot more that I read aloud than what she reads to herself and we like that. My oldest daughter has struggled in the past with comprehension when listening so it has been good (challenging) for her to learn to really listen. this one would rather play all day and has groaned over doing school, but once we get doing she seems to enjoy herself and she knows that if she is diligent she gets the afternoon to play unlike her public school friends.

Math has also been an issue, but with much patience, prayer, and perseverance we are making progress. We've used Saxon, Rod and Staff, and presently Math-U-See-. Place value, subtraction with regrouping, and story problems have been our biggest hang up too. I finally just had her memorize what to do and can see her beginning to understand the concept. I am hoping it a maturing issue. I also walk through story problems and verbally speak my 'mental process' as a model and that is helping. We are trying to make math a success this year and I have been preferring a few well done problems rather than a page of tears. Also something that has helped her is that when I introduce a new concept I do not expect any participation beyond observing for one day. It has taken so much pressure off of her to 'perform' which has lowered her anxiety. Again,during that first lesson I walk through each step of the problem verbally. I also keep math at 30 minutes--no more, even if we are not done of don't get the concept! That has helped both of us!

Now for my one in Beyond--we are actually going at half speed (or less--we will pick up speed next year) with it so I can use it for two years. My reasoning is this: we are still doing phonics work with her and I wanted to be able to use the emerging readers with her(next year), and I generally have not done much more than the 'basics' in early years -- primarily because I didn't discover HOD until this year-- and with doing this at half speed--she enjoys school each day --as in she says "yay!"and we are done with both guides by noon! I have two little ones (4 and 2) so it is nice not to be doing school all day! the beauty of HOD is that it still lets me homeschool, but keep my first priority as a momma first!

On a side note--I have similar eye issues as your oldest son and I wear glasses with prisms in them to help my eyes stay focused (my vision is pretty good as well). Fatigue makes the double vision worse so staying rested is important. I did eye exercises as a child too....

I love HOD. I found it necessary to teach my first and fourth grader separately--I wanted to give each of them the best for what they needed--personality wise, mentally, spiritually, academically, etc, without sacrificing my whole day to homeschooling and HOD has been the key to accomplishing it! Have fun on this journey of praying and seeking the Lord's will and wisdom for what is His best fit for your family,

Jess
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:47 pm

dawntx,

Thanks so much for sharing more about your kiddos. Aren't the ladies wonderful about sharing ideas! We are blessed to have such a helpful and encouraging board. :D

From what you've shared about your oldest son, it sounds like he would fit best in Bigger Hearts overall. It does sound like your next one in line would fit in either Little Hearts or Beyond best, however I'm still wondering how well your 6 year old listens to books with chapters read aloud, or if he hasn't been exposed to that type of read-aloud yet? If you get a chance to let me know about that it would really help me know more whether your kiddos would combine and if so which way would be best. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:38 pm

Welcome to the Boards! :-)
I am doing Bigger with my 8 and 10 year olds, but using the extension pack for the 10 year old. Carrie has some wonderful words of wisdom for you on combining and/or placement in the programs.
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 am

dawntx,

I'm leaning right now toward having you combine your two kiddos within Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory for the left side of the plans and the storytime box on the right side of the plans even though their age spread is pretty wide. My reasoning for this is that you'll be making a transition from school to home, which requires a time of adjustment in itself. Next, it sounds like your oldest son will be continuing with therapies which will take some time out of your schedule. It's also wise to consider that your oldest son's eyes tire more easily and that it affects his written work at times. Last, I am weighing the fact that your first year of homeschooling your oldest son was pretty tough and that both he and you need a good year under your belt. In this scenario, you could continue combining your kiddos for history, science, geography, Bible etc. as they go up through the guides. After finishing with Beyond, you would move both into Bigger Hearts (and your older one could use the Extension Package at that point). :wink:

With all that said, I think that combining is a good way to go for this upcoming year. Placing your younger one in Bigger will be too big of a leap, so it would be best to teach to the younger and beef up for the older child instead. The history readings within Beyond are interesting enough for an older student, so you wouldn't need adjustment there. You would need to add the right side of Bigger Hearts to raise the level of language arts and math for your older child. Bigger Hearts uses Rod and Staff English 2 (which is very advanced as Level 3 begins basic diagramming), teaches cursive handwriting, does several short sentences for dictation (which is what we use for spelling) and includes math schedules for Singapore 2A/2B and 3A/3B. I'm thinking that the right side of Bigger Hearts sound just right for him, however you'll know best. :D

I'd also add Drawn into the Heart of Reading Level 2/3 for your 9 year old and finish phonics for your younger one, moving into the Emerging Reader's Set when he's ready. :wink:

The one area other area within Beyond that you will need to beef up for your older son would be the science. You can easily do this by adding additional science readings for him to do on his own on any topics that are of interest to him. Or, you could have him read several biographies about scientists if you prefer. The last option would be to add a science encyclopedia that he can use to look up additional information about the topics you're studying with Beyond for science. You may also wish for him to do a drawing of his experiment and then write a few sentences about it to keep as a science "lab sheet" in a science notebook. :D

If you get a chance to pop back in and let us know what you're thinking that would be great!

Blessings,
Carrie

dawntx

Post by dawntx » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks everybody for all of your encouragement!

I guess I have been fearful to put my oldest into a "younger" curriculum for fear that I'm holding him back.To say that I'm putting my 4th grader in a 1/2nd grade curriculum--well, it gave me get a pit in my stomach. I think, after chewing on your advice for a few days though, it is probably the right thing! I keep telling myself it's not for basics- only for history, science and geography! He's really not had much on these areas the last couple of years- He'll probably love it! He eats that stuff up!

You ladies are wonderful help! I look forward to getting to know you more as we dive into homeschooling and HOD!
I'm excited and cautious!

Dawn
14ds-Rev-Rev
11ds-CTC
8dd-Bigger
5dd-LHFHG

3musketeers

Post by 3musketeers » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:41 pm

Dawn,
I know you posted this awhile back. I just wanted to send a big "HI!" and a hug. I'm super excited about your decision to homeschool. I'll be praying for all of your upcoming decisions.

Blessings,
Cindy (Your ol' buddy from TX)
AKA 3musketeers
"Let us not despise the day of small things nor grow weary of well-doing." CM Gal. 6:9
Big & LHTH 09-10
Prep & LH 10-11
C2C & LHFHG 11-12
R2R & Bey 12-13
Rev2Rev 13-14
Big MTMM W.Geo 14-15
Prep W.Geo WH 15-16
C2C WH US1 16-17

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:06 pm

Dawn,

I also wanted to encourage you that the read-alouds that you'll be doing for history within Beyond are Christian Liberty Press' grades 3, 4, and 5 readers. So, the history content will be interesting and challenging enough for your older son! :D

You will also be on track to head into Bigger Hearts the following year which has an extension package for older kiddos to extend their learning. Bigger Hearts is a guide for ages 7-9 with extensions for 10-11 (so you'd actually be on track age-wise with our guides at that point). This first year will just be a settling into homeschooling year with good solid coverage. You will then be able to utilize our extension pack option all through the rest of the HOD guides after Beyond, making it a good fit in the long-term for both of your kiddos. :D

Blessings,
Carrie