Potential new user with a bunch of questions :-)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lostinabook

Potential new user with a bunch of questions :-)

Post by lostinabook » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi! I have 2 children & I am considering purchasing Heart of Dakota for the upcoming school year, but I have quite a few questions before I make any final decisions. We will begin our school year in July; my dd will be a 9 yo (10 in Oct) 4th grader & ds will be a newly 7 yo 2nd grader. Dd reads very well. I have her spend at least an hour a day reading books selected from Ambleside's free reading list. Ds is learning to read, but is still in the slowly sounding things out stage. He's doing the Pre-Primer from Pathway Readers along with Reading Made Easy right now. Both of my children can narrate well. Based on all of this I am guessing that Beyond would be best for ds & Preparing would be best for dd. Is that correct? If so, then on to my other questions. :D

1. I am not going to give up Classical Writing, picture study, Shakespeare, Plutarch, or Latin. Will I have ample time to include these in my day?

2. Is there any reason why I can't substitute for some of the History Read-Alouds & Self-Study books? I have a lot of history books already so if I could substitute rather than buying more books that would be great!! If it is ok to substitute, does Preparing have any recommended books that you all consider to be "can't miss"? (I am planning to purchase Draw & Write Through History.)

3. I own lots of science books. We're finishing up Jeannie Fulbright's book on the ocean this year. For future years, I have Ann Voskamp's A Child's Geography, Fulbright's Astronomy book, a host of chemistry resources & a bunch of experiment books. Based on the samples, it appears that science should only take a few minutes each day. Is that correct? If it is, I am thinking that I could do other science on the 5th day or in a block in the afternoon. Does that sound doable?

4. I already have Teaching the Classics, Deconstructing Penguins, & How to Read a Book. Do I actually really *need* Drawn into the Heart of Reading? I asked about this on another board & the impression I'm getting is that the student book contains lots of worksheets. I always loathed worksheets for reading & having to fill them out just made me read badly since I'd jump around until I got all the info I needed to fill in the boxes.

Thank you so much for any help!!
Libby, Mama to a 9 yo and a 7 yo
dd-RightStart D; Ambleside 3; CWP; AAS 3; Lively Latin; CW-Aesop A
ds-RightStart B; BLHFHG; Reading Made Easy; AAS 2; FLL
both-Training Hearts, Teaching Minds; Exploring Creation-Swimming Creatures; violin

Kathleen

Re: Potential new user with a bunch of questions :-)

Post by Kathleen » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi Libby! :D

I wanted to pop in and welcome you! I don't think that I'm much help with many of your questions. :? I will tell you that we LOVE HOD!! I have loved all of Carrie's book choices so far. I'm not sure what substituting in the history area would do to the program. I'm thinking that the books in the economy package are the backbone of the program, so you'll want those. I know that there are moms who opt not to do HOD's science. (It's my son's favorite part of the day though. :wink: ) I also know that choosing your own read-alouds or using one from the list of reccommended titles in the appendix of Beyond and Bigger works wonderfully (as long as you pick one from the apprepriate genre to match the plans). In Preparing, the read-alouds are meant to coordinate with the history, so you might lose something if you switch those.

You wouldn't need to DITHOR if you already are teaching reading in another way with your dd. But, I have to tell you that I think it's wonderful! I don't see the student workbooks as "worksheets" at all. I guess the similarity is that you write on them. :lol: But, seriously, they are made to work with ANY book of any given genre, so they are NOT fill in the blank, one-right-answer things. I'm using the level 2/3 book this year, and all of the pages in the book deal with story elements and character qualities. Each genre has one "character quality" page. (For example during the biography genre, you're focusing on the character quality responsibility and dilligence. During the genre historical fiction, you'll be focusing on faith and perseverance. On day 9 of your study there, you'll read about Noah in the Bible, and the child gives examples of how Noah showed faith and perseverance. Then, after your child reads from her book for the day, you'll give examples of how the main character showed faith - or unbelief - and perseverance - or giving up.) As another example, one of the pages for the adventure genre had my son pick 8 improtant words from his book as a prereading activity. Then we had to put the words in the appropriate box of setting, character, mood, problem, or solution based on what the word was. The word, "Florida" was talking about the setting. The word, "fish hook" was part of the problem, etc.

I can guarantee that your child will not be "reading for the answers" in a choppy way with DITHOR. I can say that it's really helping my child with the skill of reading out loud expressively, learning about different story elements, and thinking about what he's reading. My favorite thing is that he's learning to read and evaluate what he's reading by what the Bible has to say about it!

I'm sure that other ladies will be along who can help you more than I can with your other questions!
:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:41 am

1. I am not going to give up Classical Writing, picture study, Shakespeare, Plutarch, or Latin. Will I have ample time to include these in my day?
Well, starting with Preparing, the lessons are written for a 4 day week. So you would have the 5th day to incorporate your extras. Beyond is written as a 5 day a week program but you could do it as a 4 day week, you just wouldn't start a new unit every Monday.

2. Is there any reason why I can't substitute for some of the History Read-Alouds & Self-Study books? You'd best ask Carrie directly on this. I would imagine if you suggested replacements, she'd let you know if they were appropriate or not.

3. Based on the samples, it appears that science should only take a few minutes each day. Is that correct? If it is, I am thinking that I could do other science on the 5th day or in a block in the afternoon. Does that sound doable?
We do the science as written and are happy with it, but you could easily add some if you wanted.

4. I already have Teaching the Classics, Deconstructing Penguins, & How to Read a Book. Do I actually really *need* Drawn into the Heart of Reading?
There are only a handful of worksheets for each genre which is meant to last for 20 school days, so four weeks if you do DITHOR 5 days a week. We are doing DITHOR at the 2/3 level this year and loving it. The Teacher Manual for DITHOR has prereading and postreading exercises in it as well as kickoff exercises for each genre. I think it is well written. As the pp said, it draws parallels between biblical character traits and traits in the story. It goes into mood, setting, problems, etc... I don't know the other reading books you have, but DITHOR is great.

Any other questions, ask away...
:D

lostinabook

Post by lostinabook » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:51 pm

Thank you for the replies!! I really appreciate the additional info re: DITHOR especially. :)

After I posted the original message I was looking through the DITHOR sample pages & decided that I could just test the program out using the samples! I've ordered the suggested biographies from the library & will let dd pick one to read. We'll begin the unit a week from Monday.

Re: the things I can't give up. Those are daily activities. Latin takes about 1/2 hour, Classical Writing 45 minutes-an hour, the others probably a total of 30-45 min/day. So, will HOD leave me with enough time in each day for those? If we do additional science, drawing, or nature study they'll happen either on day 5 or in the late afternoon (since they're fun!!)

My catalog came today!!! :D The books I was think about using subs for are check marked so I think that means it's ok to sub. However, I'm still wondering if there are any in particular that you all consider to be too wonderful to miss?

Oh, I just thought of a couple of resource specific questions! Are Mozart the Wonder Boy & the companion cd scheduled in the TM? Also, if I were going to label our family with a denominational bent, it would probably be Reformed Baptist ala John Piper or John MacArthur. Will we be ok with the book The Young Christians?

Thank you very very much for your help!!!
both-Training Hearts, Teaching Minds; Exploring Creation-Swimming Creatures; violin

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 pm

Libby,

Welcome to the boards. The ladies have done a great job of answering your questions. :D I'll pop-in to answer a couple more of the questions you mentioned. The Young Christian's Introduction... will be fine with the denominational slant you mentioned. It is a purely Bible-based look at Scripture. :D

Next, if you're going to give DITHR a trial run, you'll need to use the Sample Week from the Teacher's Guide too, along with the Student Book. The Student Book is only one small part of the overall program. Without the Teacher's Guide, the Student Book is just a set of graphic organizers and "papers". The discussion and meat of the program is in the combination of Student Book and Teacher's Guide. :D This will hit a different set of skills than narration covers. We've found that DITHR brings out the story elements and moral discernment focus, while narration brings out the author's style and summarization skills. :D

Mozart the Wonder Boy and CD are scheduled in the daily plans in the Independent History Box. :wink:

I wouldn't recommend subsituting for the read-alouds (those in the Basic Package) unless absolutely necessary. They are scheduled to complement the main program very well. The Deluxe Package readings and Extension Readings are wonderful as well, however you could substitute more easily there if needed. I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading the Deluxe Package readings myself, and so have my kiddos, even including my oldest son whose always been an outstanding reader! There's just much to enjoy in both the way they're written and the artwork in many of the books. :wink: Any of the scheduled books you can get your hands on will work well to enrich the program. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

lostinabook

Post by lostinabook » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:08 am

Thank you for the response! I'll definitely use the TM when trying out DITHOR. :)

I really appreciated the post you wrote earlier referencing your prior use of Ambleside. It clarified why I'm so excited about HOD~we've been doing Ambleside since the beginning as well & I was a bit concerned about the level of reading dd would need to do next year & about leaving ds in her dust. I am so looking forward to starting them both in HOD!!

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Hi Libby,

I just wanted to jump in and welcome you! I understand exactly where you are coming from. We began using HOD back in January of 2008 and had been HS'ing for 10 1/2 years at that time. I came in with things already working, but really wanted to make HOD work. I absolutely LOVE HOD! I think you will too :D :wink: Carrie, brings balance to those of us who want to do those extra things with our children but seem to get bogged down when we try to do it lone ranger style :oops: :roll:

Welcome To The Boards,
Mary
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

lostinabook

Post by lostinabook » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Thank you for the welcome Mary!!

Yep, I never do "extras" like projects. Ever. I rarely do science experiments either & I really need to as my children greatly enjoy those. This curriculum just looks so balanced & I'm really looking forward to getting started with it!! I've decided that I can "cheat" & start with ds in April since his program has a 5 day week & dd's only has 4 days. That way when we're ready to start our new year in July he should be in the right place to finish with dd at the end of next year. Plus, I get to do something new a couple of months early!! :D