A visit to the ER

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Dorla

A visit to the ER

Post by Dorla » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:06 am

I posted this on my blog this morning -

You just never know what will happen next!
Monday morning I went in to the allergist for relief and ended up in the ER in anaphylactic shock. It was not pretty and Samuel (6 years old) was with me the whole time. He was the perfect picture of a calm, secure boy, who knew his mommy was going to be OK and that we were in the best place for a sick person, a hospital with at least 3 doctors and 3 nurses hovering over trying to help.

At home we talked about it and I commended him for being so brave - we have been working on this aspect for about two years now. He told me that while mommy was sick he was repeating his memory verse 20 times in his mind until Melody (a friend who works at the same hospital)came to keep him company: "Cast all you anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7" (unit 17, Beyond Little Hearts). Now I understand why after this incident he keeps locating this text in his Bible, reading it, underlining it.

"We are wrong if we assume that children are too young to enjoy the Bible unless we water it down for them. We don't know how God's spirit will work with each child, and we presume too much by keeping scripture from them because of their age." Charlotte Mason

I keep thanking God for life and for the opportunity to give him tools for life. I did not know I was doing that, I was just following a godly, christ-centered curriculum.

Thank you Carrie for teaching us how to teach our children at home!
Dorla

Sharon

Re: A visit to the ER

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:16 am

Dorla so glad that you are OK!

What a wonderful testimony that you have shared and what a blessing your son is.

quote:
"We are wrong if we assume that children are too young to enjoy the Bible unless we water it down for them. We don't know how God's spirit will work with each child, and we presume too much by keeping scripture from them because of their age." Charlotte Mason

Your testimony and the Charlotte Mason quote has given me much pause this morning. I believe I need a correction in my thinking.

Thank you for sharing!
Wife to Jesse,
Mom to Michelle, Dawn, Rose, Marie
DD14 Rev to Rev, MTMM in the Fall
Enjoyed Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, and World Geo.

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:33 am

I am so moved by your post! I am also glad to hear you are well. That sounds like such a scary event!

I would also like to show my support of not watering down scripture for kids with a recent example from our home in hopes it will also encourage others that might be considering HOD. (as well as all you current HODies!) I'd love to hear from other moms with similar stories of their children being encouraged by scripture! :D

We were in the hardest hit area from the recent ice storm in Arkansas. As we were leaving our home since we had no electricity, heat, water, or way to cook we were all looking back on the kids favorite tree in the front yard...the one with their swing...and realizing it was breaking and may not be there when we come back. The kids were excited yet worried about having to find somewhere else to stay (wanting their toys and games that could not be found in the dark as well!) and they were sad about losing their only fun tree. DD7 said "Why does God do things like this? Why does he let an ice storm mess things up?" Then she says "Oh yeah, Romans 8:28 says that everything will work for the good of those that love Him. So, He'll make something good of all this." (Another Beyond verse-- Unit 13 I think) From that point on, they had a blast...even though we were out of our home for 3 days, they didn't have any games or toys, and they all 3 had to share a crowded bed in a very dirty hotel room (it was all we could find!). She has internalized so many of these scriptures she has learned in Beyond. Even though we've memorized verses before, she's never taken them in so deeply before as she has with the discussion guided by Carrie :)

Oh, we came home finally to a home that is not damaged at all, most of our food was saved, cat was fine, and our tree...well, there are a few branches left including the one with the swing :wink:
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

Dorla

Post by Dorla » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:01 am

I love that you are sharing your stories!
So many times when it is time for the Bible Study Box I cringe at all the questions/discussions I see are coming up wondering if he will "get it". I am 100 times thankful that I have followed everything Carrie has put in the guide, because he does "get it". Our kids are smarter than we think!
Keep sharing...
Dorla

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:09 pm

Oh, Dorla! I am so thankful that you are doing well and are back home. I am so blessed by the story of Samuel reciting his verse over and over. God was truly glorified through your son's reaction to a very scary event. That is our constant prayer for our guides, and it is only through our Lord that our guides accomplish His work. I love that quote of Charlotte-Mason's. It is one I refer to often when we are writing our guides, as it encourages me to press forward with the Bible memory work. :wink:

Tamara,
I'm so glad that you are home safe as well. What a blessing that your little guy responded to his scary situation and to his questions about why bad things happen (that many adults seek a lifetime seeking to find the answers for) with a very relevant verse from the Scripture. God's word has the answers for all of life. :D

Blessings,
Carrie