Dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ksjk3

Dictation

Post by ksjk3 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Carrie, will the new guide coming out in August have more spelling dictation? My daughter is already on the last one in the Bigger guide, and I was just wondering what the recommendation will be in the new guide. Should I be looking for a new spelling book program? Thanks for your direction!
Kristi

Mother of 3 girls ages 10, 8, and 3 years

Kathleen

Re: Dictation

Post by Kathleen » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Kristi,

I know that there are 2 more levels of dictation in the Preparing guide, so if you're done with the passages in Bigger you'd be ready to move into those.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

ksjk3

Post by ksjk3 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:55 am

Oops! I meant to say she's already on the last one in the Preparing guide. Sorry about that mistake. I was wondering what comes after the Preparing guide.
Kristi

Mother of 3 girls ages 10, 8, and 3 years

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Kristi,

Each of the guides to follow Preparing will have a new level of dictation included until we get through Level 8 of dictation passages with the final guide. :D Good for your daughter that she is doing so well with dictation! :D You may wish to choose passages from her literature to use for dictation until the end the year. It works very well. Here's a link to how we've done it: :D
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2028&p=15754

Blessings,
Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Another CM-style tip for middle school into high school to extend dictation even further is to have the child study a paragraph or two (in the high school years even a whole page) and then randomely dictate 2-3 sentences (and later a whole paragraph or two) from that passage expecting all of it to be written perfectly. The student checks their written work against the model. Passages of classic literature work wonderfully well for this (and it is tougher than it looks)! :D

Blessings,
Carrie