Need More Books for LHFHG...Ideas?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jacey'sMom

Need More Books for LHFHG...Ideas?

Post by Jacey'sMom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:33 pm

Hi,

I am doing LHFHG with my just turned 5 year old. I've been letting her work ahead in the Thinking Skills book and the Italics workbook for LHFHG. So she does both every day and if she likes it a lot, she does more. I thought this way, if we go on vacation or something comes up, I wouldn't stress about being behind.

Anyway, she will be done with both books this week. Any books suggestions to replace these or something fun to use covering another subject? I'm planning on doing BLHFHG next year so I wanted to prepare her for that. I was thinking of getting the Italics B or cheerful cursive and the Thinking Skills 2 unless there are other suggestions...I am open to anything!

Thanks!
Jodi
Mom to Jacey (5) and Ethan (2)

eazbnsmom

Re: Need More Books for LHFHG...Ideas?

Post by eazbnsmom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:30 pm

What about some of the Kindergarten or First Grade books from the Critical thinking company? I have never used them, but I have some friends who like them.

http://www.criticalthinking.com/parent/index.html

They have some free samples that you can check out.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

momof4

Post by momof4 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Jodi,
It's funny you post this today. I was just figuring out approximately how many days my ds has left in his books. If he continues at his current speed, it is not long (maybe 2-3 weeks). So I was looking for the same thing.

I'd second the critical thinking books. My older daughter saw the "Mindbenders" books in the catalog and wanted them so I was going to get them for her and ds to do together. Otherwise, I was looking at just getting the next "Reason for Handwriting" book. The other thought I had was the curriculum books that they have for in between grades - I think they have them at Walmart or Sams.

I'll be watching to see what other ideas you get.
Laurie
dd's 22, 17
ds 9 - Bigger
dd 5 - LHFHG

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Rod and Staff has come out with another one of their preschool workbooks... for after Finding the Answers.
I can't remember the name of it, but that is what I am using next for my son. He is 5 and also has almost finished his books too.

Going on Eagerly... that is what it is called. :)
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:22 pm

Jacey'sMom wrote:Anyway, she will be done with both books this week. Any books suggestions to replace these or something fun to use covering another subject? I'm planning on doing BLHFHG next year so I wanted to prepare her for that. I was thinking of getting the Italics B or cheerful cursive and the Thinking Skills 2 unless there are other suggestions...I am open to anything!

Thanks!
Jodi
Mom to Jacey (5) and Ethan (2)
Hi Jodi! Well, it sounds like your dd loves learning, which is wonderful. If you would like to prepare her to do writing type things that will continue to get her ready for BLHFHG, I think it would a good idea to do some beginning copywork. You could have her write her LHFHG Bible verse each week and send it to someone in the mail. We bought some "fancy" paper and did this with my oldest ds when he was doing LHFHG. He loved it, learned beginning copywork, learned to address envelopes, and the people who got the letters adored it! With another of my ds's, we started a tiny photobinder of index cards he wrote his Bible verses on. He loves to pull it out and page through all the verses he's memorized now. You could also have her choose poetry to copy a bit at a time. That is excellent preparation for Beyond - you could even get the Beyond manual and haver her start in the lower level spelling lists if you wanted, doing the spelling activities planned out in the LA box of Beyond. (Then when you do Beyond, you could do the second set of harder spelling words.) I also like the Critical Thinking workbooks - they are fun and strengthen fine motor skills. Explode the Code workbooks are fun too. I think I'd hold off on the cursive until she's older, but maybe some of these ideas might be fun for your dd! :D

In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:28 pm

I think you got some great suggestions. I was thinking the same thing you were just to go on with the next level in fact that is what I did. :) You could also add some R&S Art Packs and the one they have for first grade that is called Grade 1,2 "Developing Motor Skills in Art" Set, my dd loves both of those. My dd also enjoys the Usborne Complete Book of Art Ideas. R&S also has some great coloring books and paper craft books. If you are looking for critical thinking ideas I would go with yours or the mind benders but mind benders on this level do not take a lot of time but they are fun. The ideas I gave are more art busy work kind of things. My 1st grader and Ker are almost always doing school or crafts if they are not outside. I don't assign these things they just pick them up and do them whenever they want. It works out great. HTH :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Emilylou

Post by Emilylou » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:52 am

Ohh... My Ds loves the R&S Art packs too. Great suggestions~
~ Lisa
Wife to Stephen, mom to dd almost 5 and ds 6 1/2

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:40 am

How did I not know about the Critical Thinking Co? :shock: It looks JUST like what my DD would LOVE!!! :D Maybe after payday I'll have to order her a book or two. Those are so cool! We're looking at a long trip in June (15 hours) and some of those books look perfect for the car ride. We've never taken a trip longer than 6 hours before, so I'm planning ahead I guess. :lol: But there are a couple I'd love to have for her to work through anyway.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Jacey'sMom

Post by Jacey'sMom » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Great ideas! I think we'll go with the R&S art, Mindbenders (trying to decide which level), and have her start copying the scriptures.

Thanks ladies!
Jodi
Jacey (5) & Ethan's (2) Mom