question about cursive

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
happymommy

question about cursive

Post by happymommy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:53 am

I have a first and second grader. We just started doing BLHFHG together. I think they would love to begin Creative Cursive. Is this something that is included in the next curriculum guide? If so, should we wait and do it next year? Just curious. THanks, Bridget
Jesus bless,
Bridget

Married to the love of my life!
Mama to one awesome son - 8
Mama to one fantastic daughter - 6
We are loving Beyond!!!

Mommamo

Re: question about cursive

Post by Mommamo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:18 am

I think cursive practice is scheduled into Bigger.... so you could just wait and do it then. But if your kiddos are ready, I don't think it would hurt anything to go ahead and do it. You could just skip that box when you get to it when you get to Bigger.... But maybe someone with older kiddos could give you a little more concrete advice. :D
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Bigger includes cursive practice with "Cheerful Cursive" (which is a great cursive program, imo) or the itlaic book of cursive.
My 10 yr old uses cheerful cursive, but my 8 yr old doesn't. He's not ready for cursive, so we use italics (but a different book then scheduled) because that's what works for him. :-)
I would say you could certainly try it; if they don't like it or it doesn't work, put it away for a little bit! :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:30 pm

Hi Bridget! :D

Welcome to HOD! I haven't used Beyond yet, but I'm doing Bigger with my 8 yo son this year. We're using Cheerful Cursive and I LOVE this book! It gives nice slow, steady practice for writing cursive. My son's handwriting actually looks really good...and handwriting isn't a strong thing for him. :wink: It is scheduled in Bigger, but you would not mess anything up to do it now if you wanted to. You could just take it a page a day (except for the pages with 2 columns of words where it's scheduled one column for the day). When we started Bigger this year, I didn't have Grant do any copywork of poetry. Now that we're into the year a ways, I have him copy 2 lines of the poem we're studying (printing), and we don't worry about finishing the poem in a week. I'm saying this, because you may wish to skip the copywork scheduled in Beyond and do Cheerful Cursive instead if your child isn't an "eager writer". :wink: Next year you could just have your child do the poetry copywork in cursive in Bigger.

I don't know if you were just asking about your 8 yo or your 6 yo as well. I think you'd want to make sure the 6 yo had a good handle on printing before learning cursive. (At least that's my opinion...I know some programs start kids out writing in cursive...so it's probably a matter of preference.)

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

happymommy

Post by happymommy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Thanks guys for the advice about the cursive! Now that i know it is scheduled in Bigger, i may just wait and let them continue with the copywork for now! This was my first time to use the board about a question and i really appreciate hearing your thoughts!
Jesus bless,
Bridget

Married to the love of my life!
Mama to one awesome son - 8
Mama to one fantastic daughter - 6
We are loving Beyond!!!