What do your kids do while you read aloud?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
anointedhsmom

What do your kids do while you read aloud?

Post by anointedhsmom » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:28 pm

I am wondering what your kids do when you read aloud. We use Bigger so we have the history & science readings plus the storytime reading and I am using the extension pack as read alouds too. I don't know if I should have my son make some notebooking pages or let him use lego's quietly or what.

What does your family do?
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

inHistiming

Re: What do your kids do while you read aloud?

Post by inHistiming » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:32 pm

I do allow my children to draw quietly, color a coloring page, use play-doh, or build with Legos IF they are able to answer questions/narrate when I'm done reading. My youngest (5) just has to stay quiet if he is going to be in the room. Sometimes, they just sit or lie quietly to listen. One year, when we studied Egypt, Rome, Greece, etc. I bought the Color and Learn coloring books for each location for each of them and they were required to color a page in that during the history reading. They enjoyed it, it kept them quiet, and it was something I could add to their portfolios. I may have to look into getting something similar for them to do while we read our Bigger selections.... :wink:

Rebecca

Post by Rebecca » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:23 pm

The targeted listener(s) cozy up on the couch. The others do whatever they are supposed to or mill around, make noise, and are hushed! 8)
Older non-targeted listeners can join in if they are not supposed to be doing something else (like playing with the two year old) as long as they are quiet and sitting down- non- disruptive.
Over the years, I have also read aloud at the table with food- breakfast, lunch, snack- etc. This has helped! This helps if you need to keep the two year old quiet and occupied while getting some school reading in! :wink:

If my targeted listener needed to build or color while I was reading, I would let them as long as, like InHistiming said, they were able to narrate/comprehend.

I hope this helps! I am facing the challenges of reading aloud with a lot of small children!

Does your son enjoy read aloud time?

Rebecca

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:34 pm

Rebecca wrote: ...Over the years, I have also read aloud at the table with food- breakfast, lunch, snack- etc. This has helped! This helps if you need to keep the two year old quiet and occupied while getting some school reading in! :wink:
Rebecca
Rebecca ! Classic. I let out a big chuckle when I read this, because I have done the same thing with my two year old who loves to hear himself make different sounds. At the table, with food in his mouth, we can sometimes get a lot done. This means I have to eat before or after !

Thanks for making me smile and for the other great ideas.
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:52 pm

My 5 year old needs to sit next to me when I read aloud to him or else he doesn't seem to pay attention. My 8 year old, however, comprehends very well and is able to narrate/answer questions even when he appears quite "busy". Oftentimes, he builds with Legos. When the weather was nice, all four kids would dig in the sandbox while I read. It was wonderful! It kept my 1 year old occupied (Like many of you, I also have the toddler challenge!) So even just last week here in Wisconsin, we had some unseasonably warm days in the 70's and we were outside in shorts/T-shirts doing our schoolwork. Now we're in winter coats and it's in the 30's, so I think that's done until spring! Sometimes he draws, other times he just seems to walk around and climb on things (if we're in the basement which is sort of a free-for-all with old furniture, some climbing toys, etc.) I am truly amazed at how he seems to comprehend better when he's busy versus trying to sit still. (He has tried to convince me that he can play basketball while listening to read-aloud, but I drew the line at that one!)
Kristin

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:10 pm

Isn't it amazing how God made our dc unique from each other? :D I have one son that sits completely still, and one that does not stop moving. I'm guessing our third ds will take after the mover and shaker. :lol: I could have written Rebecca's post - that's exactly our take on reading out loud. Great ideas here gals, and great topic Dolphingirl!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:37 pm

I thought I answered this post but I guess not. :roll: Anyway if this is double you know my story. :lol:

my older kids used to do Dover coloring books and HITW time line figure coloring. I try to have it be something that relates to what we are doing. I find for my kids legos and things that aren't related take them too far out unless I challenge them to build something I read about. However now they all just cuddle on the couch, listen and narrate. My two little ones do the same when it is their stuff but color or do some R&S craft if it is the bigger guys stuff. I have both age groups now to the point where we can all just get the pillows and the blankies and snuggle. That is all we need now. It's my favorite time of day to do reading. we really do almost all our HOD on the couch except for the projects. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:23 am

water2wine wrote:I thought I answered this post but I guess not. :roll: Anyway if this is double you know my story. :lol:

my older kids used to do Dover coloring books and HITW time line figure coloring. I try to have it be something that relates to what we are doing. I find for my kids legos and things that aren't related take them too far out unless I challenge them to build something I read about. However now they all just cuddle on the couch, listen and narrate. My two little ones do the same when it is their stuff but color or do some R&S craft if it is the bigger guys stuff. I have both age groups now to the point where we can all just get the pillows and the blankies and snuggle. That is all we need now. It's my favorite time of day to do reading. we really do almost all our HOD on the couch except for the projects. :D

We are couch bunnies too! Blankets, pillows, us all piled in there together - add a snack and what more could we ask for? AHHHH, the joys of homeschooling with HOD! :lol:

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:55 pm

In the morning, before we start, I bring the school bin over to the couch and we do as much as we can right there! At first we did everything at my dd's desk, but I found that she just wasn't paying much attention, instead she seemed restless, so we switched to the couch and her retention level has soared! But everychild is different, just the other day I was talking with a friend of mine, who also uses HOD, and she has to keep her dd at her desk or she looses focus. To sum up, do whatever works for your family, you may have to try a couple of scenarios before you find what works, and then you may have to change things as your children grow and change. Remember, we are NO LONGER SLAVES :!: :D Do what works.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

anointedhsmom

Post by anointedhsmom » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:47 pm

Thanks everyone for letting me peak into your home and school. I really appreciate it. We aren't having any trouble during read aloud time but I was just curious if sometimes I need to let him do something else or play quietly. I think I will have him do some notebooking pages for history since that is most of our read aloud time and he can also play a little too :wink: as long as he narrate back to me that is :D
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com