Just wanna give some Praise!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
funkmomma71

Just wanna give some Praise!

Post by funkmomma71 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:16 am

I am so happy to be using HOD!

Once we made the decision to homeschool I went full force into researching and comparing the various curriculums available. It didn't take long for God to lead me to this website, (via the Rainbow Resource catalog) and I was immediately hooked. I am not one to make decisions without examining all the options, but no matter where I looked I kept coming back here and wanting to go with it. I love to read review sites, and unfortunately this curriculum was not featured on many, but the reviews that did exist were glowing.

I was leaning heavily towards SL, for the living books approach, but it seemed so overwhelming, not to mention EXPENSIVE! The reviews of SL were and still are a mixed bag, and I didn't want to start something and not have it "work" for our family. So I submitted my decision to God, and He gave such peace whenever I thought of going with HOD, while I would get a knot in my stomach whenever I considered SL or MFW.

I may be tired from my hectic schedule, but I LOVE doing HOD with Dina, and she loves it, too. I hear from other HS moms how difficult their curriculum is and that they are ready to throw in the towel, so I try to steer them here, because I would hate for anyone to give-up HS because it's too hard. It doesn't have to be, thanks to Carrie and her desire to answer God's call on her life. Thank-you Dear Lord and thank-you Carrie for following His lead and creating HOD. Your example is humbling.

HOD is wonderful and I can't imagine doing HS any other way.
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

trustinghim

Re: Just wanna give some Praise!

Post by trustinghim » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:28 am

Hi
I soooooo agree, life has been wonderful for us using HOD. It is so great to hear how well it is going for you too :D

I feel like we have just been so blessed by God, and almost everyday I am amazed at how wonderfully the program all fits together, Carrie is So clever!!!!. I find it hard to believe anyone would HS any other way!!!

Love Deb
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:31 pm

DITTOs to Funkmomma71

I had similar experiences when deciding to hs and considering different curriculum...
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Lori_in_Austin wrote:DITTOs to Funkmomma71
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Funkmomma - Thanks for your wonderful testimony! I know that feeling that you're "home" with where you want your kids' education to be. HOD is a blessing for us, too! Ahhh!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:20 am

I so agree! :D HOD is a huge blessing for our family. I love it and know we can stick with it for the long haul. It is such a blessing to know you have it all settled and love what you are using, just to have that searching over and know you are home is a huge blessing. I actually recommended it yesterday to a nurse who is a single mom and wishes she could hs. :D But I can also say as a mom who will never throw in the towel and is huge on covering it all in a godly format this is the absolute best fit out there for us. If I could write it, this would be what I would have done in my mind. It's just the perfect fit. :D

I am so glad you are loving it and looking to sharing more HOD years with you. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:44 am

Amen! I was just thinking yesterday how much I am enjoying homeschooling due to HOD. I don't feel tense or stressed about it, and I do feel empowered to do it all the way through high school - something I was unsure of before. I am so glad to read that you ladies have that same peace and joy in your homeschooling with HOD. Thanks so very much for sharing this here!

In Christ ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 pm

You know over the span of 11 years I have tried so many different curriculum. Some were hits and some were not. The one style that always confounded me was literature based programs. I was so drawn to them...., I loved to read. However, with SL it was a lot of reading without much re-enforcing. If I had auditory children it would have been fine, but I don't.

Then I found WinterPromise Curriculum which is literature based with hands on projects and I was very excited. The problem was that all of the hands on projects came directly from books and had me use lots of materials that I found difficult to have ready all the time, plus they were more work than HOD. The directions often reminded me of Christmas day when your trying to put together children's toys.., OY VEY! WP was lit based but not unit study. Though it had hands on projects they were not meant to necessarily tie all the different books together.

Both WP and SL had copious amounts of required reading. I always felt like the under achiever because we just couldn't fit them all into our schedule. I wanted to live my life with my children, not just do school. I also felt like when we were reading through so many books at the same time on their schedule we didn't have time to savor and enjoy. There was no joy for me.

I decided that HOD was my last attempt at a "lit based" program. It was THE ONE! It only took me ten years to find it. (smile)

My favorite aspects of HOD are how well it's balanced. SL and WP were very history heavy and so after spending a couple of hours everyday on history I was worn out and didn't enjoy doing science, writing, math or lang arts. I LOVE that HOD balances all of these subjects perfectly. I also enjoy the simplicity of the hands on projects as far as prep goes and they just seem to gel more cohesively with the topic. I look forward to our hands on projects. I love that I can homeschool and still have time to cook, go to the park, plug into co-op, etc..,
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:28 pm

MamaMary thank you for your post. I've been trying to find some comparison between WP and HOD and your thoughts were very helpful.

With Joy!
Florence
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:49 pm

deltagal wrote:MamaMary thank you for your post. I've been trying to find some comparison between WP and HOD and your thoughts were very helpful.

With Joy!
Florence
Florence, that was all the Lord. After I typed that, I stopped and wondered what in the world made me go on about SL and WP? Now I know. He is good ALL THE TIME! :D Thank you for sharing as it helped me to see God at work :wink:
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/