Loving HOD!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
scrapsmith

Loving HOD!!

Post by scrapsmith » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:11 pm

Hello ladies...I have read many of your posts over the last few months and now that I am officially a "HODie" I thought I would join in the chatting!! We came across HOD at the conference in Kansas City...Had the joy of meeting Carrie and Julie and found the curriculum to be intriguing.

We had just finished K with another curriculum that is similar in style to HOD and had jumped into the 1st grade materials and hit a snag. My ds just turned 6 in Oct. and although he was loving the challenges of the 1st grade academics, he was missing the "fun stuff." He would watch my 3 yo dd as she did her "school" and kept saying how he wished he had more fun stuff. I immediately began looking at ways to add in the missing activities by borrowing a friend's LHFHG guide. I willingly admit I am not a "creative" mom!! I love homeschooling...I am passionate about teaching my children, but I will never go to a coffee shop alone and pull out "Family Fun" like my friend and plan actvities for my children!! So, when I began using the activities from LHFHG and my son began to beg for the Rhymes (which I would tend to ignore because I think they are silly...but perfect for a five year old boy!!) and I praised the Lord for Carrie and her vision!! There was no way I was going to risk burning out my sweet little guy at the ripe age of 5!! And this was the perfect solution...

The Dover books are delightful!! We read through them all in no time!! And both my now 6yo and now 4yo love the history books!! I am finishing the 1st grade phonics portion of the previous curriculum (which is so easy to do with the "box" design of this curriculum!!) and will be done with that in Nov. and then we will be moving on with Beyond!! I am planning to order it next week so I have a few weeks to plan. I seriously have had to force myself to wait until Nov to order because I will spend so much time looking through it all and I need to finish out what we have, with all diligence!!

There are several families in our area who are using HOD since seeing it at the Kansas City convention...hint...hint...Carrie, Julie, we would love to have you back!! Thanks so much! We are looking forward to many fun years with HOD!!
Eryn,wife to Jeff since 1998
Mommy to Micah, 7yo, BLHFHG
Addie Mae 5yo, LHTH, and
Canaan 2yo, right in the middle of it all!!
"Teach us to number our days...Ps 90:12"

Lori_in_Austin

Re: Loving HOD!!

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:10 pm

scrapsmith wrote: We had just finished K with another curriculum that is similar in style to HOD and had jumped into the 1st grade materials and hit a snag. My ds just turned 6 in Oct. and although he was loving the challenges of the 1st grade academics, he was missing the "fun stuff." He would watch my 3 yo dd as she did her "school" and kept saying how he wished he had more fun stuff. I immediately began looking at ways to add in the missing activities by borrowing a friend's LHFHG guide. I willingly admit I am not a "creative" mom!! I love homeschooling...I am passionate about teaching my children, but I will never go to a coffee shop alone and pull out "Family Fun" like my friend and plan actvities for my children!! So, when I began using the activities from LHFHG and my son began to beg for the Rhymes (which I would tend to ignore because I think they are silly...but perfect for a five year old boy!!) and I praised the Lord for Carrie and her vision!! There was no way I was going to risk burning out my sweet little guy at the ripe age of 5!! And this was the perfect solution...

The Dover books are delightful!! We read through them all in no time!! And both my now 6yo and now 4yo love the history books!! I am finishing the 1st grade phonics portion of the previous curriculum (which is so easy to do with the "box" design of this curriculum!!) and will be done with that in Nov. and then we will be moving on with Beyond!! I am planning to order it next week so I have a few weeks to plan. I seriously have had to force myself to wait until Nov to order because I will spend so much time looking through it all and I need to finish out what we have, with all diligence!!
Thank you for sharing. I could really identify with what you are saying. And with LHFHG, lots of fun stuff and no burnout over here ! We are new to HOD and loving it!
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:15 am

scrapsmith wrote:So, when I began using the activities from LHFHG and my son began to beg for the Rhymes (which I would tend to ignore because I think they are silly...but perfect for a five year old boy!!) and I praised the Lord for Carrie and her vision!! There was no way I was going to risk burning out my sweet little guy at the ripe age of 5!! And this was the perfect solution...

Isn't it funny how we look at things and wonder if it is too silly and they just love it. My six year old loves the Rhymes in motion I think if possible even more than my 4 year old. I can barely get them to stop, they keep asking for a repeat of it. There is a lot of learning in plain old fun sometimes! :D

Welcome as an official HODie! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:15 am

So glad that you are loving it!! :D
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

MamaMary

Post by MamaMary » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:40 am

What a beautiful HOD testimony. I am so glad you are not only using HOD but now participating on the boards. We're Better Together and excitement builds excitement!
Mary, Mama to 4 amazing sons and wife to one incredible husband! Come check us out on the blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:59 pm

:D Welcome :D It's so much fun to welcome new "HODies"!! And...you're my "neighbor"...right? I'll have to pm you and see where you're at. I am LOVING using HOD with my kiddos, and there are 2 other moms in my area using LHTH this year, but I don't know any other HOD moms in real life. How exciting!! You'll love the ladies on the board here. They're great!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm so glad that you're getting a chance to enjoy the fun of LHFHG! We're using it with our third son this year and having a great time. He loves the rhymes too! :D

Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with all of us! We love to rejoice with one another and to uplift each other on this HOD journey! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Alright! Another HODie, and one I've had the pleasure of meeting! :D I am so glad to hear that your dc are enjoying LHFHG. We are just finishing that up this year and will start BLHFHG in a few weeks or so. We think the rhymes are fun too, and they help my ds remember the names and places that are important from what we're studying in history better. I'm so glad you are here, and if we are in KC, you'll have to drop in so we can chat with each other and with the other HODies there !

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

trustinghim

Post by trustinghim » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:30 pm

"Isn't it funny how we look at things and wonder if it is too silly and they just love it. My six year old loves the Rhymes in motion I think if possible even more than my 4 year old. I can barely get them to stop, they keep asking for a repeat of it. There is a lot of learning in plain old fun sometimes! :D
I sooooo agree, my children LOVE it too. Even my two year old joins in, it is so funny. I love being able to have the whole family enjoying such a fun, special time together!!!

Welcome to the HOD board...we are pretty new as well (unit 5 of LHFHG) I can't imagine life without HOD now. It is really more than just school...but a lifestyle. We love it :D :D :D

Look forward to getting to know you more, and hearing how you are going

Love Deb
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!