?s for Now and Later

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3smoches

?s for Now and Later

Post by 3smoches » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi guys. I am new here and have just received my LHTH stuff for my 4 & 2 year old. I am really excited about this program. My question is has there been any children yet that have gone through this program and have started using other high school curricula? If so, how did they do after using the HOD program? Also, does HOD test the children on what they have learned other than through discussions? Is it only in High school that we have to keep a portfolio to verify the kids have been learning what they should? Sorry for all the questions. I am very very new to this stuff. I guess I fall into the mega-planner group, although I dont seem to excell in it :oops: I have lurked here for a couple of weeks before I actually dove in and started HOD. Yesterday was our first day and my dd wanted to read the bible all the way through the first day. I had to hold her off. Anyway, I am really excited about this board and the ladies here. You seem to be a great support group. Thanks ahead of time for any answers.
TLC

mamas4bugs

Re: ?s for Now and Later

Post by mamas4bugs » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Welcome both to homeschooling and the board! :) I'm no expert by any means, but I'll try and answer a few things. So far, there have not been children who have used HOD and then gone on to high school curricula from there because HOD doesn't have guides that go that far yet (they are working on guides through 8th grade, and we are hoping/praying Carrie is led to continue writing into high school :D ). My oldest daughter is in 10th grade and doing high school curricula, and I can tell you that I feel confident that if she had grown up on HOD like her brothers are that she would have been better prepared than she is currently. Whether or not you need to keep a portfolio or records before high school really depends on the laws of your specific state. You can go to the HSLDA website for an overview of your state.

I think it's great that your dd was so excited and interested. Homeschooling has been one of the biggest blessings of my life. I pray that you are equally blessed! :)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi! I can't answer your question as I am just starting out too, but I wanted to welcome you to the boards!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I hope I dont come off sounding negative in any way. I have researched HOD for what seems like hours and cant seem to find anywhere on how kids are fairing under this program academically. (Standardized Tests) It sounds strong in every other area, but no one seems to touch on this area. Maybe I missed it. PLease dont get me wrong though, I am very excited about instilling this program with my children (dd4, dd2 , ds 9 mos) Maybe its that I have to switch my way of thinking. I was very academic minded when I was in school. Most of all I want God glorified in my home. Thanks again.
TLC

mamaof3peas

Post by mamaof3peas » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:50 pm

i have no idea where, but when i first started here i asked the same questions about standardized tests and someone said that someone ( im thinking the author, carries) kids had done some testing and always did extremely well, maybe you could click on my name and then go to all of my posts and search through until you find it. i will look and see, but i was very encouraged to hear that bc i too am concerned with my dc being at grade level, just in case i ever have to put them in ps. heather

mamaof3peas

Post by mamaof3peas » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:58 pm

mamaof3peas

Post by mamaof3peas » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:03 pm

ok, i found it, go to my name mamaof3peas and click, then go to topic with most posts or something like that (new here and blah blah) and click, arrow down till you get to a post and there is a link in blue that you can can click on . all the post says is here is a link that might answer some of you questions, once you click on the link it will be on my3sons' post it says her son tested in the high 90% on testing and carrie's dc all tested at 99% composite, which is outstanding to say the least. i tried to type out all the letters and numbers of that link here to see if it would make a link and it didnt so i obviously dont know what im doing. i dont know how to add a link, sorry! hope this helps

3smoches

Post by 3smoches » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Thank you , Thank you, THank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate all of the effort you put into finding the answer.
TLC

mamaof3peas

Post by mamaof3peas » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:56 pm

no problem, just happy to help. ive had some help from lots of the girls on this board, so just wanted to return the favor! :)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Here's a link to a past thread where I address standardized testing in the final post. It may be a little helpful too: :D
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=116

Blessings,
Carrie