Bigger Poetry question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
paliz

Bigger Poetry question

Post by paliz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:08 am

I was just wondering of those of you doing Bigger this year (or in the past) how many of you have had your child still write it out like in Beyond. I"m having mine write it out just to help with handwriting and to instill the poems a little more.

anointedhsmom

Re: Bigger Poetry question

Post by anointedhsmom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:25 am

paliz,

I am having my son doing Bigger use the poems as copywork. I wanted to help him with his handwriting and also help him remember the poems as well. Having the child copy parts of the poem each day is an option listed in Bigger. I am thinking of having him use the border paper to do a final copy each week to send to family. I think he will like that. We also had never done copywork until starting HOD so I felt using the poems would be a great intro to copywork.

If that's what you like to do with your child and it works then by all means continue it :D

HTH!
Blessings,
Paige in TN
Joshua 14 & Jacob 7
http://www.anointedhsmom.blogspot.com

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:29 am

We didn't do Beyond...but we've started copying the poem in Bigger. We started out the year NOT doing that as we were getting used to everything. But, now that the rest of our day is running more smoothly, we've added in the Copywork. This thread... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77 ...gave me some ideas with copywork. (I'm one of those that thought that it had to be "finished" during the week. :roll:) I think that adding in some copywork is beneficial to our day (besides learning cursive handwriting). We're doing 2 lines a day and it's going well.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:16 pm

We did copy the poems for copywork last year when we did Bigger... I think it improved my ds's spelling, and he also put a cover on them and made a neat poetry booklet at the end of the year. He started, on his own, writing the title and then a few more lines in cursive by the end of the year last year too. I didn't suggest it or require it or anything, but he just did it one day. I did tell him he had to do at least a whole word or line of it in cursive if he was going to do it. (I didn't want him to start half printing - half cursive writing within words.) We broke it up over 3-4 days.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:21 pm

We too are using the poems as copywork and just copying a little each day. Usually I tell him to do copy a couplet or sometimes I ask him to copy the entire stanza. Its helped him remember what a couplet and a stanza is. Once he's finished copying the poem, I usually have him draw an illustration to go along with poem. I bought a report binder at staples and plan to create a book of poems.

Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D