intro

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamas4bugs

intro

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 am

Hi all!

I am new to the board, though not new to HOD. We are in our 7th year of homeschool (wow--now I feel old :P ). We've used LHTH and LHFHG with my youngest son and are now using Beyond... with the 6 year old and Preparing... with the just turned 10 year old. Our oldest is doing high school (gak!) using Bob Jones, MOH, and Apologia. The baby is eating finger paint, reading board books, watching Bob and Larry, and learning to climb the stairs. :shock:

You know, just when I think I've got it all figured out, God does something really interesting. :) This summer He moved us from Texas where we have lived all our lives to Worthing, England. We've been here since June. So far, while it is really very different, we are having a blast. What an adventure! There is remarkable history everywhere we go in this country. There are far fewer homeschoolers (we were part of a large group in Texas), but we have met a few. It really is a very neat experience so far. Now if our things will just arrive....

Anyway, I just wanted to post a quick note to introduce us. This is the first year both my boys have used HOD, and the 10 year old is adamant that it's the best year ever. :)

Blessings,
Shaunna

trustinghim

Re: intro

Post by trustinghim » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:21 am

Hi Shaunna,

I just loved what you said about your baby, that is so funny, and so true too!!

I have just joined the group too, and everyone has been really welcoming and helpful :D

I really hope you settle into your new home, and life quickly, it sounds like you are really enjoying it. I have never been to England (well actually I did when I was 3, but can't remember it :? ) But my brother lives there (lots of Aussie's go over there to do a year's work, and end up staying). My brother met an English girl and is now living there.

Anyway, just thought I would say hi, from one new member of this group to another :D

Love Deb
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:00 am

Shaunna,

Welcome to HOD! I'm so glad your enjoying your journey so far.

My husband would love for our family to move to Europe! He wants to get into 'sales' eventually and would like to live in the country he's 'in charge' of....I think it would be neat too, but sooooo far from home. How have you found the homeschool laws to be up til now? When I was researching this summer it seemed as if things are more relaxed there...is that true? (we live in NY, so have lots of regulations and reporting here) I can imagine all the field trip opportunities you have there...I dream of traveling in Italy and France :D :mrgreen: Enjoy your adventures there, and your adventures with HOD. I feel sure God has lots of wonderful things planned for you and your family! :wink:

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:58 am

Just wanted to say hi and welcome! You'll love it here!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:13 am

Thanks for the welcome, ladies!

Deb, I think I was replying to your organizing question while you were replying to this. How funny is that? :)

The homeschool laws in England are very relaxed. They are actually pretty much just like they were in Texas with the exception that in Texas you are never required to show your curriculum to school officials. Here, if a school official requests to see your children's work, you are required to show it, but you don't have to let them in your home. You can arrange a meeting elsewhere. We aren't required to register with anyone or test or anything. Homeschool isn't very popular here yet, really. There's still a bit of a stigma. Generally, people look at me oddly and ask, "I'm sorry--you do what?" The very nice elderly lady next door can NOT get her mind wrapped around it. She is convinced that we have a private tutor coming in. :D The older couple across the street, however, is exceptionally supportive. They are always asking if we need anything, offering us the use of their books and their garden/freezer, etc.

There is quite a bit of travel involved in my husband's new job. So far he has been to South Korea, Germany, Scotland, and France. I'm jealous. :D He calls his business trips scouting missions so we can see where we want to visit. With four kids in tow, I think we're going to either have to be a bit selective or win the lottery. :D

Amey

Post by Amey » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:41 am

Hi Shauna!

Welcome to the board! You will love it here..everyone is so encouraging and fun! Sounds like we have alot in common; I too have lived in Texas my entire life until six months ago when we moved to Mexico to serve here as missionaries. We are loving our new life here and are just feeling so blessed by God to be a part of His adventure! My husband is from Houston and I am from the DFW area, but we lived in East Texas for 9 years prior (sp?) to coming here. Where are you from? I also am doing Beyond with my six year old this year :)
Amey
Missionary Mama in Mexico to Benjamin 02, Averic 04 and Deacon 07 and our first GIRL, Phoebe, born August 16, 2009
using Bigger Hearts for my 2nd grade son, finished Beyond last year for 1st
Come visit our family website! http://www.familyafair.com

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:57 am

Welcome! Wow, from cowboy hats to royal crowns - that's a culture shock! It's nice to hear from people who have used HOD for a while now. Let us in on any fun secrets or ideas you've found along the way.
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:29 am

Hi Shaunna. I loved reading about your family. :D I just wanted to say welcome to HOD and I look forward to getting tips from a veteran hser like yourself.
Welcome. I am so glad you are here! :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:35 am

Shaunna,

When we thought we were moving overseas, I got a book on traveling through Europe with the kids....we were really convinced we were going! One of the suggestions for cheaper travel was in an RV (rental?) or with a tent. It might be something worth checking out. If we are ever sent there, we will have 4 kids in tow too, so I can certainly understand the need to economize! Just a thought for when you get to traveling with the family. :wink:

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Amey wrote:Hi Shauna!

Welcome to the board! You will love it here..everyone is so encouraging and fun! Sounds like we have alot in common; I too have lived in Texas my entire life until six months ago when we moved to Mexico to serve here as missionaries. We are loving our new life here and are just feeling so blessed by God to be a part of His adventure! My husband is from Houston and I am from the DFW area, but we lived in East Texas for 9 years prior (sp?) to coming here. Where are you from? I also am doing Beyond with my six year old this year :)

We were in the Austin area for the last 20 years, but we both grew up in west Texas. Cotton fields and oil rigs. :D That is sooo cool that you are serving as missionaries. You are such a blessing to the Kingdom. We are also loving our new life, although I must say I think I would have had an easier time getting used to the food in Mexico than the food here. :P My girlfriends back in Texas laughed at me because I now wash my dishes by hand and hang my clothes on the line, as tumble dryers and dishwashers are not common here. Isn't that funny? I bet you are running into similar differences. I hope your 6 year old is loving Beyond as much as mine is! We'll have to compare notes throughout the year. :)

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:50 pm

inHistiming wrote:Shaunna,

When we thought we were moving overseas, I got a book on traveling through Europe with the kids....we were really convinced we were going! One of the suggestions for cheaper travel was in an RV (rental?) or with a tent. It might be something worth checking out. If we are ever sent there, we will have 4 kids in tow too, so I can certainly understand the need to economize! Just a thought for when you get to traveling with the family. :wink:

Thanks for the idea! We owned an RV in Texas. We even spent the entire summer on the Port Aransas beach summer before last. Now that was a wonderful experience. :) I have seen people driving RV's over here, but honestly, the roads here scare the tar out of me. They are extremely narrow and traffic zips along. People will move to the side to let an oncoming car pass, but honestly they move so fast I don't know how they keep from running into each other. Maybe when we've been here awhile I'll be less intimidated. :) Right now, we take the train or walk everywhere. Now there's a culture shock for ya--from wide open Texas to everything within a 10 minute walk. But wow, my legs have never been trimmer. :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:53 pm

:D :D Welcome Shaunna! :D :D

It's so nice to "meet" you. I love all the ladies on the board here...I'm sure you will too. It's so encouraging to be able to chat with other moms who love the Lord and love serving Him by teaching their children to love Him!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:03 pm

My husband traveled to London for 2 weeks last Feb./Mar. and he said the same thing....traffic was CRAZY! I read somewhere that London charges $8 a day to bring your car into the city....I guess due to overcrowding and maybe pollution? I know a lot of people walk and take public transportation there, and that would definitely be me. After moving here to NY (from FL) I decided I DO NOT drive during the winter, because driving in the snow scares the tar out of me! We didn't experience that in the south, thank you. :? I believe I would make the same decision in Europe, as it's difficult enough to drive in busy traffic with kids talking (even at a regular volume) in the car...I know I couldn't coordinate busy traffic, driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, and kids talking (even at regular volume) :!:

Maybe a tent in the trunk of the smallest car you can buy/rent would be the best bet for traveling and camping with the family... :D :lol: :wink:

Candice

Post by Candice » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi Shaunna!

Welcome, so very nice to have you here!

Candice :D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 pm

Howdy Shaunna! My oldest sister homeschools in TX, and I bet it was a bit of a culture shock to move from there - homeschooling in TX seems almost as common as cowboys and fried food in TX! :D :D :D It sounds like you are having a grand time in England though - you have a great attitude about life and homeschooling in general - you'll fit right in here on the HOD board. :D Glad you are here!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie