Organizing the children's completed work?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
trustinghim

Organizing the children's completed work?

Post by trustinghim » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:17 am

Hi everyone

My husband and i have just had a lovely time going over the girls school work from today, it is so nice to share the journey with him :D

As I was showing him the various pieces of A4 pages they had done work on, it got me thinking about what I should do with all these lovely things the children are doing. How does everyone organize their school work? I know a lot of it can go it the text books, but when they are doing things on paper, what do people do to store the kids work?

Do you have a exercise book? use a folder and hole punch the sheets of paper?

I would love to hear about what you do....

By the way, if there is already a past discussion on this, would anyone mind sending me in the right direction?

Love Deb

P.S By the way I am using LHFHG
Loving, living and learning at home.

Wife to my dearest friend, Mummy to 4 little lovelies
Homeschooling with:

DD 7: BLHFHG
DD 5: LHFHG
DS 3: LHTH
DS 9 weeks...delighting us all with smiles and giggles!!

Living in Australia!!!!

mamas4bugs

Re: Organizing the children's completed work?

Post by mamas4bugs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:25 am

We put all of our things in a binder. I punch holes in some things, but for the stuff that I want to preserve as is, I bought a giant package of page protectors. I just slide the A4 paper into the page protector and put it in the binder. Sometimes we use watercolor paper or whatever that is too large to fit in the notebook. For that, we keep the originals in a box, but we take pictures of the finished product (and the kids working on the project if I have the forethought to do it :P ) and then scrapbook the pictures on a page that we include in the notebook. HTH!

eazbnsmom

Post by eazbnsmom » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:14 am

last year I would add them to my children's binders (in pa we have to keep portfolios), but I found that if the paper didn't get in right away (they would put it on my desk for me to check, I would check it and then put it to the side to add to the binder later) that it would get on the floor, lost crumpled etc......so this year I set up a drawer in one of our small filing cabinets and made a file for each subject. I then wrote each child's name on a manilla folder and put it in that file. When they are finished, I check their work and then tell them to put it in the proper folder (or I would put it in the folder for them)......this has worked very well for us so far and we are in 5th/6th week of school and so far no lost completed work! YEAH! :lol:

(edited).....I forgot to mention that the papers in the folders will end up in binders when I am ready to make up their portfolios!
Last edited by eazbnsmom on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:18 am

Last year we did a binder with page protectors. That does keep them nice if you can get your kids to put them back. For us with four doing the same thing we had issues. :lol: So this year thanks to the advice of a fellow HODie :D we went to comb binding. It is working well for us. I made up all the books at the beginning of the year. I got forms from Donna Young or Notebooking.com, it was a combination of free stuff and I just picked what I thought would be best for each. We have Science, History, Copywork, DITHR, Geography, and Nature. That is all I can think of at the moment. It is really working well for us and takes hardly any space. I keep them all in a magazine file for each child. HTH
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Samuel'sMommy

Post by Samuel'sMommy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:06 pm

I have been saving all Samuel's papers and art work in a 3 ring binder using page protectors. We do almost everything on regular letter paper or construction paper so it all fits. If I use construction paper, I just trim a little off the edge so it will fit in the page protector. So far, I haven't had to cut off any of the actual project since he tends to keep it towards the center of the page. Hope that helps!
Stephanie
Wife to Adam for 25 years
Mom to Samuel (18 - freshman in college), Isaiah (8), and Judah (4) through the miracle of adoption
Using and loving LHTH & BLHFHG

Loved using LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, & RTR!

MamaBear23Cubs

Post by MamaBear23Cubs » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:30 pm

I am doing the binder thing with all my kiddos. It take up much less space but am thining of taking the stuff out after the year and putting it into a big envlope and mark what grade it was. We test and hubby don't have anyof his kids stuff so there's no need to keep the work but I still like to keep some stuff.
Military wife and Mama to 3 (DD12, DS8, & DD7)
Have used: Little Hands For Heaven, Little Hearts For His Glory, Beyond Little Hearts For His Glory,
Bigger Hearts For His Glory, and Preparing Hearts For His Glory.
http://livinglifeonthehomefront.blogspot.jp/

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:44 am

Here's what we do:
We use a plastic folder which I wrote "Done" on one side and "Not Done" on the other. As he finishes his work, he puts his papers into a "inbox" which is just a plastic tray. These papers usually require me to grade or preview. I usually make notations directly on his papers if its just minor errors- reminders to capitalize, or incorrect adding, or correct punctuation then file it in the "Not Done" side of his folder for him to correct. After he is done correcting he puts the paper back into our inbox for me to recheck. Once the papers are corrected, I file them in his "Done" side of his folder. Sometime throughout the day, he is responsible for filing the work from the "Done" side of the folder into a large binder. I have a three-ring binder with dividers for Grammar, Copywork, Poetry, Spelling, Dithor, and Art. I have a History Binder which he files all of his history/timeline/notebooking in. His bible verses go into a small brag photo album. His science goes into a spiral bound sketchbook. His math and cursive stay in the workbooks.
For papers that I grade or preview that have more than minor corrections, (like I can tell he obviously is not getting a concept) then I usually set that paper aside to go review that concept or idea with him again.

For artwork that doesn't fit in his binder: I have been matting some in picture frames and then occasionally switching this piece out. Some larger pieces I've comb bound them together or I either take a picture of it or scan it and then tape those photos onto colored paper and file in his binder. I do the same for science pictures. So often I like to take pictures of the science experiments so I"ll take the picture then tape into his sketchbook by that days notebooking assignment.

Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 pm

Hi Deb! Here are a few past threads that may be helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1945&p=15020&hilit= ... der#p15020
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1711&p=13322&hilit= ... der#p13322

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:56 pm

We are using a variety of 'notebooks' this year. Anything done on notebook paper or printer paper is being put into a 1.5 inch binder for it's subject...Science, History, Language Arts, etc. Our Vocabulary is in a spiral notebook, as is ds's dictation. DD's spelling is on index cards and stored in her spelling box, and we have an index card album for the memory verses we are working on. Math and handwriting stay in their workbooks. At the end of the year, I will remove all their work and place it in a large envelope or the 2.5 gallon ziploc bags you can get(try BJ's or Sam's), label it, and store it in a rubbermaid container with our other years' work. So far this is working well for us. Our kids each have their own art binder too, with page protectors to keep the work nice. Our school art has just been placed in whatever subject binder seemed appropriate...the line drawing of the tree went into science...you get the idea. Their art binder is for non-school work...the older two love to draw and do this every day. I have a goal to someday mat and frame some of their work to hang on our walls. :? :roll: This has been a goal for several years...who knows when I'll actually get around to it!