You ladies are the earlybirds!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Carrie
Site Admin

You ladies are the earlybirds!

Post by Carrie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:09 pm

The board officially launches October 1st, so you may not see much traffic until then. However, we are so glad to see some of you here early. It's a joy to have a place to gather and talk about what we all do. I was surprised and blessed to find people already helping one another. That is our prayer for this board. Welcome!

Blessings!
Carrie

britt

3 cheers for Heart of Dakota & 4 Cheers for the Lord!

Post by britt » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:33 pm

Hello All!

This is my first time on a board, hope I am doing it right! :lol: I just wanted to say that my family loves this curriculum. We have used Little Hands to Heaven and now we are on to Little Hearts for His Glory. It is so user friendly and interesting. My child really enjoys school time. And being new to homeschooling those points are very important. Thanks and God Bless!
Britt

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:14 pm

Hi Britt! Nice to meet ya! I'm so glad you posted, and you did it just right! (I wondered if I was doing it right at first too.) We've used Little Hands... twice now with 2 different sons, and I'm on my second time around with Little Hearts... this year too. What a happy homeschool day we have! (I'm also doing Bigger Hearts this year, and Drawn into the Heart of Reading too with my oldest son.) Anyway, I'm so glad your family is also enjoying your homeschooling, and I hope you continue to have a super homeschool year! Keep on posting, and I will too!
my3sons

gazelletabby

Using "Little Hearts" and "Bigger Hearts"

Post by gazelletabby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:56 am

My3 Sons,

How are you balancing using "Little Hearts" and "Bigger Hearts" together?

I am using "Little Hearts" with my five year old son but have a friend who would like to pull her daughter out of school and let me help teach her, too. She is in 3rd grade but falling behind in math. We'll be starting with 2nd grade math for her. I will be using "Bigger Hearts" and possibly the "Drawn" reading program because she is better at reading (although needs help with spelling). How do you balance the history, science and math portions especially since they will have different subject matter and activities. I'll need to be able to integrate the two together in some places to keep the teaching time manageable. We haven't actually purchased the "Bigger Hearts" materials yet, so I haven't had a clear look at them yet.

Any advice?

Tabby
Mom to two active boys...trying for a girl!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:19 pm

Hi Tabby!

It's nice to meet you! You've asked a very good question, and I'll do my best to answer it - but please feel free to post other question(s) and ask me anything I'm not clear on (I have 3 boys - since you have 2 active boys, you know how foggy that can make our thinking by afternoon!).

First of all, I am only doing one side of the plans each day for Little Hearts... - so it'll take me 2 years to go through it. My son is 4 1/2, and that's about the best pace for him. That being said, timewise, I could easily have done both sides of the plans each day (and I may do this eventually this year) if I wanted to go that route.

I think I'll try to just list out what I'm doing with whom, when, etc. I have my schedule in 15-30 minute increments, which seems to work best for me since I have a 6 month old baby.

BIGGER... child is listed first and LITTLE HEARTS...child is listed second each time:

computer------either History box OR Storytime box

computer------either bottom left box OR Math box

History box----independent activities (puzzles, games, coloring, Lakeshore activities, etc.)

Left plans, bottom left box-------continuing with independent activities

Bible study box and Poetry box-------book on tape

Storytime read-aloud box (they both eat their snacks and have a juice box while they both listen to me read the BIGGER... Storytime selection on the couch - happy reading time - I also join in on the snack between reading!)

Corresponding Hymns box with both

Cheerful Cursive box and Copywork of poem box independently------Rhymes/Bible/Music boxes OR Fine Motor skills/Phonics boxes

Dictation and Grammar box-----Phonics video or character trait video

Drawn Into the Heart of Reading box------Computer

Science box--------Play or exercise time

Math box----------Play or exercise time

NOTE: I have some other personal things throughout the day scheduled in, such as piano, nature journal, independent Bible reading, playtime with baby, playtime with each other with learning games, etc. Those are all things that are done more together, so if you are wanting to do anything like that, you'd certainly have time to do so. Also, you could easily do all of Little Hearts... (and I probably will do that as well once my little guy is more ready). We start school at 9:00 AM and end by 2:00 PM, with personal things added in as well, so I think that what you are trying to do is very doable! Bless your heart for helping your friend out! Let me know if this was about as clear as mud!

Love in Christ,
My3Sons

gazelletabby

Thanks!

Post by gazelletabby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:54 pm

Thanks for giving me a view of your schedule. I think I sorted it out! 5 hours of instruction is good! That sounds about right. My son is 5 and a half and usually takes 1 and a half to 2 hours to complete both sides of the "Little". I think if I just break it up more, like you have done, I'll be able to give them both plenty of individual attention. Thank you so much. I'm keeping a copy of your schedule to compare with the "Bigger" materials when I get them. I'll let you know how it goes if you'de like.

God bless!!
Tabby
Mom to two active boys...trying for a girl!

Anna

What a great help!

Post by Anna » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:58 pm

Thank you for your schedule my3sons! I am going to start my 5 year-old doing "school stuff" officially this coming January, and I wasn't sure how I was going to do it. Now I have some good insight into how I can arrange my soon to be 7yo's schedule and his schedule! Thank you for taking the time to post.
Anna
dd -10
ds -8
dd -7
ds - 2
baby due 12/22/11