Sign Language Fun

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sniz-teach

Sign Language Fun

Post by sniz-teach » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Today (week 5 of BHFHG), my daughter was trying to come up with motions to our Bible passage. She couldn't think of a motion, so she wanted to know the "sign" for it. We looked it up online, which led to her wanting to learn the whole verse in sign language, which turned into a very fun thing. Now she wants to do this every week. What a great way to memorize scripture and learn sign language painlessly at the same time!
Andrea in IN
Wilson, 14 DS in public school
Birdgirl 11 DD, Bigger w/ ext.
McGizzer 9 DD, Bigger
www.misssnizhomeschool.blogspot.com

Marty D

Re: Sign Language Fun

Post by Marty D » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:48 pm

What a great way to teach! I am an interpreter, and before I had my kids, I worked in the school system. Tomorrow I am starting a sign language class for a local school as an after school program. It is such a great thing to know. I am sure you and your daughter will find that you notice a lot more deaf people once you start learning some signs. Who knows, maybe God will give your daughter a gift and a heart for the deaf. We need more people who love them and want to see them saved. If you ever need to know of any good resources, I would be happy to share with you some great ones. Hope you and your daughter learn a lot!
Martha

Mom to 3 boys --Nathanael 8, Daniel 5, and Karsten 2

jessyb26

Post by jessyb26 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:49 pm

What a great idea! Was there a particular website that you found most helpful or kid friendly to look up the signs? I think my daughter would also enjoy this.

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:12 pm

That's fabulous!! What a precious little girl you must have! We've enjoyed learning sign language in the past (check out the show Signing Time if she really starts getting interested) and it's a fabulous thing to learn.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG