New to HOD...questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
w_sulzer

New to HOD...questions

Post by w_sulzer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:10 am

Hello
I just ordered LHTH today, and can't wait to get started. I am so pleased that we found HOD, and God led us to it.
I do have a couple questions. Since this is a bit non-tradtional (not a worktext program), in the older grades, how does grading work. It does not sound like there are formal tests for some of the subjects?? We will be joining an accrediting agency once we start K, so we will not need to take the state's annual standardized tests.
Anyone in Minneapolis, twin cities area that is using HOD, would be willing for a phone conversation?

By the way, the boards are great for someone considering HOD. I have read many posts to help me decide that we will use HOD for our homeschool. This has been the 1st program I have seen that makes me excited to teach my kids, vs. nervous.
IN Him
Wendy

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: New to HOD...questions

Post by Carrie » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:30 pm

Wendy,

I'm so glad that you've found HOD! We're glad to have you here! :D

I'll move your post over to the main board, so more moms will get a chance to see it and respond. All new posts begin on the main board. :wink:

I know the moms will help give you an answer to your question. If not, I'll pop back in and answer later.

Blessings,
Carrie

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:43 pm

Wendy, welcome! (my name is Wendy too :D ) I am using LHTH with my 5 year old this year and we are really enjoying it. I have also used Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory with my dd8(when she was 1st/2nd grade), and we are using Bigger Hearts for His Glory this year with my dd8 and ds10...with the extension pack. I'm glad that you have found something you are excited about using...and I think your dc will be excited too! Glad you're here. :P

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:52 am

Glad your here, the only subject I grade is math and that is because we use a different math program. I can't answer your question so I'm bumping it back to the top! We really don't grade.
wish I could be of more help.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:35 am

Here is an old post about grading....don't know if it will help you or not.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=937&hilit=grading
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

w_sulzer

Post by w_sulzer » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Thank you everyone,
The link to an old post re: grading was very helpful. I think it will be helpful when we get on board with the agency that will accredit our "school", will be helpful in knowing we have our kids on track. Anyone else use an accrediting agency for home based educators?
By the way, I have 2 girls :D

Thanks again for the help and welcome. We are going to start LHTH as soon as we get it in the mail this week!!
In Him
Wendy

Teena6

Post by Teena6 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi, Wendy. I am somewhat new to HOD. I am using LHFHG for our 5 & 6 yr old boys and just today started Bigger for my dd. We love it. I can tell you this is our 18th yr of hs-ing. So I have used lots of different things....

JMO not sure how anyone else feels or what their family does :)

I do not do much grading in the young yrs. I use to..... we did all quizzes and tests.... and ALL of it but I became overwhelmed... it was more of a traditional way of hs-ing. My three youngest children (we have 6~ two already graduated) are falling in love WITH learning.... I just love the way we are *teaching* now.

I do use a different math/language program for my dd .... and my boys (but I do not test the boys). I will randomly give my dd a math quiz or test.

Now I have a 10th grade son.... who is doing a dvd program and he is DOING the tests/quizzes. This is his first year doing a dvd program and he is doing well.

not sure any of this helps..... but thought I would share. :lol:
grace & peace,
Teena
mom to 1/2 doz & DIL
using BHFHG & MTMM (in the fall 2012)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:20 am

Wendy I can't answer your question but did just want to say welcome. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi Wendy! I remember when I began homeschooling that I was apprehensive about how I would measure how my kiddos were doing, like how I would know that they were learning what they needed to when they needed to learn it. :shock: Well, praise God for HOD - those worries have flown out the window now! :D Carrie is a born researcher - so she really does make sure that all of your bases are covered for each age range in each HOD guide. She checks all of those "what your ? yo needs to know" books and standards, etc. A few things I do to make sure my kiddos are on track though are...
*work must be neat and completely done
*spelling must be correct (I underline the word spelled incorrectly and write the correct spelling in the margin of the same line or on a markerboard to help them fix it; this helps them see the word spelled correctly and further cements the way it should look in their mind)
*errors must be corrected (i.e. computational errors in math)
*oral/written answers should give as much detail as possible and should stick to the topic (i.e. more interesting words should be used as opposed to more general words like "stuff" or "nice" or "good" or "things")
*oral and written narrations (I follow the guidelines in the HOD guide's Appendix)
HTH!
In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:42 pm

The ladies are doing a wonderful job of answering your questions! I'll mention that we do use Charlotte-Mason style methods for checking if kiddos are understanding/comprehending their readings and other work. :D

We use a balance of oral/written narrations, copywork, dictation assignments, oral/written questioning, sketching/labeling/diagramming, written experiment forms, graphic organizers for literature study, map drawing/labeling, memory work, dictionary use, use of maps and globes, timeline, research questions, and hands-on projects as our assessment. Your kiddos will have a wonderful portfolio of their work when the year is completed. 8)

I do require quite a high standard of excellence from my kiddos and have them redo anything that is not up to par. This is a practice I've continued from my public school teaching days, where anything not "passing" or done according to the listed directions/requirements had to be corrected by the kiddos. The only subject I've graded up to this point is math for my older son, beginning in grade 5. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie