WG English/Literature

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
EMM

WG English/Literature

Post by EMM » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:40 pm

My daughter will be entering 9th grade in the fall and I plan to use the WG guide. My question is regarding an English/Literature credit. I was wondering if reading all of the novels in the set is required for a full credit. My thought for her English would be to use the BJU Fundamentals, Essentials in Writing doing the first half of R&S 7 and having her choose maybe 2 of the novels to read. She is a slow reader and sometimes struggles with comprehension I feel like having to read 6 novels would be overwhelming for her.

christianmom

Re: WG English/Literature

Post by christianmom » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:06 pm

The boys’ package has 7 novels; and I had one of my sons, who is a slower reader, read 5 of them for WG English. He also did EIW and the BJU literature study. I gave him 1 credit.

BJU has the literature study listed as 1/2 credit.
EIW is easily 1/2 credit or more.

I think you’d be fine. One credit is 140 - 180 hours for the school year, and I know my son spent over 60 minutes a day for WG English. Even if you have her do 2 novels instead of six, I think you’d get the hours needed for 1 credit.
Last edited by christianmom on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EMM

Re: WG English/Literature

Post by EMM » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:00 pm

Thank you for your input, it was very helpful!