Breakthrough - Learn to Read - An Ant

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

Breakthrough - Learn to Read - An Ant

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:54 am

My reading-resistant newly 6yo DS made a breakthrough yesterday and actually ASKED to read more pages in An Ant! With my older two, I felt the CM philosophy that many kids are not ready for formal school until age 6 would not have benefitted them. They were both advanced and eager to learn. But with this son, I am seeing the value in that philosophy. He has not had the attention span of the other two, and I tried Reading Made Easy with him and he hated it. I was starting to wonder if maybe he was dyslexic and he seemed inclined to read words backwards. I thought it kids just picked up automatically that we read from left to right. But not with him, he needed it explained more thoroughly. I was reluctant to buy another reading curriculum, but in desperation, decided to give Learn to Read it a try when HOD did their reading sale. He just turned 6 at the end of Dec. and even two weeks ago, he would only do one page of Learn to Read. But two days ago he wanted to do two pages and yesterday he did 5 plus read one for daddy at supper time!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

daybreaking

Re: Breakthrough - Learn to Read - An Ant

Post by daybreaking » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:28 pm

Don't you just love the breakthroughs in homeschooling? I have to confess I am envying you still having little ones. Mine grew up much too fast, but I am cherishing memories of moments like you described! :D

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd17

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:13 pm

I am late to responding, but HOORAY! What an exciting breakthrough and one to definitely celebrate! When Carrie first showed me the Learn to Read: An Ant books, I immediately loved them. We knew they were a 'find' - we feel the same about Miss Rhonda's Readers. We are so glad you are enjoying Learn to Read, and like daybreaking, I too confess I am a little envious of you still having little ones. My sons grew up too fast as well! That seems to happen. I cherished moments such as this, and I am so glad for you and your little guy that you just had a moment like this to treasure! Congratulations!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:50 am

Thank you, Julie! And now we just finished Book 1 last week and started Book 2 this week. He is so proud of himself and doing really well!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven