History Encyclopedia

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

History Encyclopedia

Post by Mgs » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:52 am

We are doing preparing. It recommends a history encyclopedia. Does anyone recommend one? Does it mostly align with Christian values?

christianmom

Re: History Encyclopedia

Post by christianmom » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:30 am

It is not exactly an encyclopedia, and we can’t link on here.

But, the Big Book of History at Answers in Genesis is a 15-foot fold out Time-line of the History of the world for children from creation to computers with a Biblical worldview and History interwoven. It might help?

They also sell one for adults that is longer.

There are also World Book type encyclopedias on-line that can be accessed.

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:09 am

We picked up a used library set of World Book Encyclopedia's for use with Preparing. It's not Christian of course, but I wanted a traditional set of encyclopedias for any research. I had my daughter look things up first in the encyclopedia, then if she couldn't find the answer, we went to Wikipedia. For CTC though, I got her a Zondervan All-In-One Reference Guide. She uses that and the encyclopedias before we go the computer.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:14 pm

Another thought I had was my kids have used American Minute to search for a history topic and read an article. It is from a Christian point of view.

They also did research on Answers of Genesis web-site which has some history mixed in with all of the science; they do have kid friendly parts of their web-site.

We did a little of encyclopedias at the library.

A lot of their research has been from books on our shelves.

They did the internet some, but it depends what it is if it is accurate.

Usborne has kid history encyclopedia single books on a topic. They aren’t Bible based, but they do offer a lot of pictures and information.

Library books

I hope something there helps with the research.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:19 am

Does anyone have a history encyclopedia that pairs well with preparing? What kinds of books off your shelves? Library is an option of course, but a simple encyclopedia would be helpful. Preparing suggests a history encyclopedia to do research so I wonder what that one is? My house is very small. I have used usborne before, but wondered what other options there are and if there are usborne books that are better than others. Maybe even my fathers world version would work.

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:43 am

When I did Preparing it recommended Wikipedia on-line. We did use it some. You could use it for your research; I didn’t even know that it had been changed until your thread.

A lot of History Volumes that have information that are like an encyclopedia are a single volume. My Father’s World sells a MFW version of the DK Volume History of the World in their 10th grade program. It is about 2 inches thick and reads like an encyclopedia. Or, you could get DK History of the World or Usborne History of the World or Smithsonian History of the World or Kingfisher History of the World from Amazon. They are single volumes that provide information similar to an encyclopedia. They contain far more information than you would need for Preparing.

I just looked it up and for $5 a month there is a world history encyclopedia web-site on-line. It is called World History Encyclopedia.

An encyclopedia set is what I usually think of, but at this point there are a lot of options that aren’t a full set. If you want a full-set you could do it on-line, buy a set, or use the reference set at the library.

I always preferred books. So I had my kids go to a book on our shelf that contained the topic or to books that had the topic. If we didn’t have the topic in any of our books, I remember when we were doing Preparing going to Wikipedia some or the library encyclopedia once or twice or a web-site that I was familiar with.

I think you could do one of the following, but only if it works for you:
1. Call HOD and find out what history encyclopedia they mean to have you use.
2. Buy an on-line version of an encyclopedia set, or pay the $5 a month for World History Encyclopedia.
3. Buy an encyclopedia set or use the reference set at the library.
4. Use Wikipedia that Preparing suggested years ago when we used it.
5. Buy a History of the World of DK, Usborne, Smithsonian, or KingFisher; it will contain more than you need for Preparing.

I hope one of those suggestions helps!

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:52 pm

Thank you! I guess I was hoping someone had bought one of those history encyclopedias (#5 on your list) and could point me in the right direction as to which one 😂. I have an older guide, and it does mention Wikipedia OR encyclopedia.

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:16 pm

I didn’t think to say which one I had bought! LOL

I bought the DK World History that MFW sells; they have a start date of 5,000 BC instead of the standard DK.

I own some of the Usborne ones, and they are okay. I like the MFW one better.

I don’t remember the topics at this point, but I do remember them using a number of Master Books that we own for topics in Preparing. At that age, I remember helping them with it. I used to buy Master Books for reference books quite a bit when they were young. They have so many topics and my kids liked looking at their books. I also remember doing some web searches with them that were interesting. I remember looking at images of Mustard Seed trees in Israel (or was that CTC?.. it has been awhile!). We looked up plants, perfumes, and all kinds of things for Preparing and CTC. It was interesting. I’m remembering more as I post.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:36 am

Thank you! That’s the one I was thinking of getting (MFW)