Roll Call 2023/2024?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

Roll Call 2023/2024?

Post by Mgs » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:47 pm

I have: DS12 (7th) finishing up CtC then starting Res to Ref around November (10 weeks left). Working on getting his grammar and math up to par. The guide is a little easy so I do beef it up a bit for him using some of the extensions and some of my own. On the other hand he needs a lot of help when it comes to written narrations so I am glad for this guide. I don’t think I’ll have to tweak so much for the younger ones. He strongly dislikes anything hands on (sensory) while my others love it so I do swap some things. He does not do every water color project but I do have him do some.

DS9&DD9- (5th) soon to be 10. They are doing preparing. We are already on unit 3, and I really like it. It is a bit easy for DD9 so I do add a little for her. She could easily do CTC but that would mean 3 back to back guides once DS12 starts res to ref. Another thing about this guide is that it’s stretching her in her drawing and cursive! The easier assignments are balanced out with the more difficult ones for her.

DD6: skipping the second half of LHFHG and starting beyond!! FIAR & BFB for some extra fun.

DS3 (soon 4)… (PK) I have little hands and going to try it!! but mainly using B4FIAR.

Edited dd6&ds3 😊
Last edited by Mgs on Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jaimejac

Re: Roll Call 2023/2024?

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:29 am

Hi Mgs!

After seeing so many of your posts here it's nice to get a breakdown of where you are at. :)

We are in Week 18 of CTC with DD10. She will start Res to Ref around the same time as your DS12! She doesn't like doing the written narrations but she is getting so much better at them with the guidance in this guide! Her favorite part is the poetry. She is a wonderful artist. She dislikes grammar, but she is using it. She has a pen pal and told me she is writing her letters like she learned in grammar. And she is writing a play and is using what she learned it Write With the Best about writing a dialogue. I just love seeing how she is applying what she is learning! We are doing some Greek Roots as well and some God and the History of Art which I already had and the Greek lessons go nicely with where we are at in the guide.

We are in Week 28 of Beyond with DS7. He will start Bigger in Sept. I think. I posted recently about how he is taking on a little more independence and it is so fun to see. This week we did Daniel Boone's Wilderness Trail and he had so much fun setting up his trail he did it a second time with snacks at each "marker" for his siblings. You are going to love all the new things like the Visual History Set and Copy the Classics if you are using those.

I am just finishing up Little Hands with my DS5 1/2 for the second time. Actually today is is his last day! We will start LHFHG half-speed next week! I am reading some of the first grade appendix books to him (even though he is nowhere near first grade, we are just reading these aloud together) and they are wonderful books. He is already started Kate Snow's Kindergarten Math with Confidence. I was excited to see that Carrie is using that now as I used it with my older son and it is a wonderful program. I'm really looking forward to the new devotional, and since I have the old one, I may just do both! Can you have too many devotionals?! We will also be doing BFB's Seasons Afield Nature Study with the Brambly Hedge series that looks very sweet. Going half-speed will give him time to mature and give us the time to do some of these other fun things as well.

Blessings,
Jaime
Last edited by Jaimejac on Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:19 am

We have seasons afield as well (along with quite a few other guides). Too much fun stuff for k-3. 🙃

I decided to stop worrying about school down the road. Not being on schedule with the guides and all that. It makes sense to focus on the present… it looks like DS12 will probably take online college classes in highschool.

We are going to start beyond now that we finished bible history. She is so excited!!

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:11 am

It is fun to read your posts about what your kids are doing! It brings back some good memories of CTC and Beyond. :D

We are re-starting school on the 14th.

My youngest, dd14 with down syndrome, is starting Kindergarten this year with LHFHG. She did so well on her second time through LHTH last year that I’m really looking forward to it.

My oldest graduates in December and is busy applying for colleges. We are finishing him up with the rigorous plan he wanted as a freshman. It will be good to see him meet his goals.

My other two in High School have done WG and MTMM and are doing a different curriculum this year, but I may use HOD again before they graduate.

I pray for wonderful school years for all of us.

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:28 am

For some reason simply putting away little hearts for dd6 has cleared my head so much. She’ll experience the stories next year when DS4 uses it for kindergarten, and is now in a guide that fits her! It also feels less redundant to do LHTH with ds4 this year. They’ll also both enjoy the stories and rhymes in LHTH 😅.

Christianmom- thank you for sharing!! It makes me feel less guilty to use HoD the way we are (behind schedule for 3 children).

Jaime- I enjoy your posts and comments! Not having any social media, this forum has helped ease the withdrawal lol

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:55 pm

Who says you're behind schedule? :D I'm sure no one here does. Wherever your family is at is right on schedule for you! Proper placement is so important though, I'm glad you are happy with placing your daughter in Beyond. I'm sure she'll do great!

I quit social media about 3 or 4 years ago and it has been so freeing. I'm so thankful for this board too. It's so nice that there is still a community of users to bounce things off of here.

I also just dumped my smartphone a few months ago! I have what my husband calls a "1997 flip phone". It's actually called a "Smart Flip" so I could have mail and internet on it if I wanted, but it would be so cumbersome to use that I don't. It can call and text which is all I need.

Anyways, thanks for starting this thread! I love seeing what everyone is doing!

Blessings,
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:00 pm

Oldest: Will start the history portion of US1 when we get the notebooking pages. Already doing government and condition. Using in person classes for Bible, science, and literature/English. (And continuing with math.)
#2: On Unit 23 of MtMM. Will start WG by January.
#3: On Unit 4 of Rev2Rev.
#4: Finished Unit 22 of Beyond today. Will start Bigger whenever we finish Beyond.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:31 pm

What kind of flip phone did you get? I’ve been wanting to switch too!

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:53 am

It's from AT & T, it's called a TCL Classic. I think other carriers have the same one though if you're not with AT & T.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:55 am

Thanks! I looked at reviews for way too long.

RSmith

Post by RSmith » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:03 am

Hey, everyone!

My 6 year old will be starting Beyond this fall. This is our third guide, and we are absolutely loving each year. It has been so fun to watch him grow in the different areas! I remember at one point last year looking at Beyond in the catalog and thinking, how in the world will he be ready for this in a year?! Well, LHFHG has prepared him, and I think he is truly ready! We’ve had a slow going year due to my pregnancy. We had to take a couple of months off in the Spring due to severe morning sickness. We finished up our guide this summer, and now we are taking a short break before Beyond.

My 3 year old will be 4 in January, and I plan to start LHTH with her sometime after she turns 4. Right now, we are reading Bible stories and nursery rhymes. I also let her participate in the Steve Green songs, rhymes in motion (I dk if that will be in Beyond), and sometimes the Bible verse activities.

I’m also due with Baby #3 at the beginning of October. The plan is to order the Beyond package as soon as it is available and do as much school as we can before baby arrives. I’m hoping we can do at least a month of school. I plan to take as much time off as needed after baby arrives, but I think it will be so nice to come back to something that is familiar and not entirely new.
Rebecca
Married to best friend for 11 years
Mom to 6 yr old boy (Enjoying LHFHG, Loved LHTH) and 3 yr old girl (loves all the rhymes and songs)

RSmith

Post by RSmith » Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:08 am

I also wanted to add that I tried a flip phone for 6 months this year! I really wanted to make it work, but long story short, I’m back to a smart phone. I wish you all the best in your flip phone journeys!
Rebecca
Married to best friend for 11 years
Mom to 6 yr old boy (Enjoying LHFHG, Loved LHTH) and 3 yr old girl (loves all the rhymes and songs)

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:20 am

Wow I’m sorry it didn’t work out. I’m trying it out now with just limiting what’s on my phone (no safari or apps). Makes it a bit more inconvenient to be distracted but still have gps, calculator, alarm etc.
Last edited by Mgs on Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:00 pm

We used HOD many years ago with my older children who are now grown or in highschool. I’m bringing my younger kids home from school this year. My youngest will do LHFHG for grade 1. She’s almost 6. My 9yo will do Preparing for 4th and my 12yo RTR for 7th.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

Mgs

Post by Mgs » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:01 am

I had to split my twins… so I now have 2 in CTC, 1 preparing, 1 beyond and 1 in LHTH. Come November I’ll have res2ref, CTC, preparing, beyond and LHTH 😏. I’m not finding it too hard so far because in CTC they are reading their history and science on their own, so it doesn’t feel like multiple streams of history nor does it feel like they are so far apart in CTC. I am not doing library hauls on history topics, and I do appreciate the “less is more” in HOD. I will say we are not doing every single box exactly as written, but doing our best to!