How much chore time?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mgs

How much chore time?

Post by Mgs » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:41 pm

How much chore time do you have your children do & their ages?

StephanieU

Re: How much chore time?

Post by StephanieU » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:43 am

I don't have a specific time for chores. But they have specific jobs. They all have a part of dishwasher to empty, and they are responsible for putting their dishes into the dishwasher as well. They all put away their clothes, and the older two are responsible for the actual washing (I fold) of the "kids clothes.". They are also responsible for their rooms. Then the oldest is responsible for cleaning their bathroom and the hobby/toy room. The second is responsible for the living room and dining room. The third is responsible for the school room and guest bathroom. And the youngest is responsible for the entry and stairs. They have to pick up those areas and vacuum them at least 4 days a week (and "normal" day they do it, but Sundays and occasionally other days they don't).

I would guess it is less than an hour daily. But occasionally it takes them hours to clean their rooms, as I don't stress about them daily... So it can become a big mess and then they have to "catch up" on that cleaning.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:35 pm

I have 3 in High School, and my youngest is special needs. So these chore routines are what my 3 oldest are currently doing; it had some similarities in the earlier years, but has increased as they age.

They all do a morning routine that consists of Bible reading, bathroom chores, make their beds, getting their own breakfast (unless I bake), unloading and putting away their part of the dishwasher, and folding and putting away any of their laundry from their laundry room shelves (where it goes when sorted from the dryer). Two start school work before our school starts with Bible reading with all of us (except DH who is at work on school mornings).

On most Saturdays they have additional chores that may include vacuuming, lawn mowing, mopping, helping my DH with home projects, dusting, and helping with cleaning. This varies depending on what needs to be done. They’ve done everything from help paint the house and yard landscaping to relaxing most of a Saturday to helping clean the whole house. The vacuuming is most Saturdays (they split the house in 1/3s).

They keep their rooms & the family room clean and straighten them daily.

They unload and put away their portion of the dishwasher after every meal before the dishes are loaded.

They generally help me with projects, and they baby-sit their youngest sister some. I haven’t organized their cooking help, but they do help me cook and bake some.

How many hours a day of chores? The morning takes them around 45 - 60 minutes, and the rest of their chores are off and on throughout the day and week as needed. They get plenty of down-time, but they’ve also learned to work.

I remember starting with a chalk board and their names and a morning routine that included teeth brushing when they were young; it was worth it! It built from there.

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:25 am

Ages here are 5, 7 and 10. They are all expected to keep their room tidy and do a 5 min. tidy every morning. Make their beds brush teeth, etc. We have some animals so my DD10 takes care of the rabbit, my DS7 takes care of the chickens. DS5 might help me take care of the cats/kittens.

For meal chores, we rotate, but right now DS5 wipes down the island and sweeps the kitchen, DS7 empties the dishwasher and sets the table and DD10 wipes down the table and dustbusts the rug underneath.

I schedule a morning tidy right before lunch to clean up any school activities or toys that were out from the morning. We also have a similar tidy right before dinner.

DS5 and DS7 help me fold a load of laundry every day. DS7 has just started putting in and folding his own laundry. DD10 does her own laundry weekly.

DS10 and DS7 clean their bathroom each week and DS5 empties all the room and bathroom trashes. DS7 and DD10 can also vacuum their rooms. We don't always dust, but this week we will and all can help with dusting the whole house.

My DD10 often helps me get breakfast ready if I am busy with the boys.

I would highly recommend Teri Maxwell's Managers of Their Chores. It details appropriate chores for children's ages and scheduling of daily, weekly, monthly and annual chores.

Hope this helps!
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven