GREAT first day too!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
stacey05

GREAT first day too!

Post by stacey05 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:22 pm

Today I started LHFHG and BHFHG with my 6 and 10 yo's. My 13 yo sat in for bible and poetry with the 10 yo. It was WONDERFUL! I have been homeschooling from the beginning and my oldest is 16. I am so guilty of switching curriculums all the time because I never felt true peace or contentment before. I was starting to think that homeschooling wasn't for me. Now, I know it is only the first day of using HOD, but it was sooo different. I felt the Lord's leading and I just knew that He led me to this curriculum. I am still sending stuff back that I had already bought for this year. When I came across HOD, I just felt in my heart that this was it. My wonderful husband was very supportive of me buying it even though I had already spent so much money. I love the simplicity of it all! I LOVED doing the Continents rhyme with my 6yo son....we were so silly and laughed so hard. Do you know how long it has been since we actually had fun during school? Last year, he was already copying his older siblings saying he hated school...that broke my heart. His daddy did the flashlight science experiment with him today and it was so sweet. He sang along with me with the Steve Green cd. My 10 and 13 yo (and me!) love the Hymns book and CD and it just all felt right ! Thank you, thank you Carrie for this answer to prayer. Thank you to my Lord for leading me to this! I just want to know if I can get Preparing for my daughter who is 13? Could she do alot of this on her own? I am not sure I can handle 3 levels, because I have a teenager down to a one year old. I really wanted her to do American History, but I was thinking that she could sit in for the history lessons with BHFHG and then do Preparing more independently? Or is it really not meant to be done that way? Thanks for your help and I pray everyone has a wonderful homeschooling journey this year!
~Stacey

Valerie

Re: GREAT first day too!

Post by Valerie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:16 am

Stacey, I know what you mean, I really feel that HOD is something special that God led me to. Even though the morning has already brought 2 bowls of spilt cereal and taken me to a place I hate to go :x !! I am going to get myself together and we will have another wonderful day of school!!! :D

Valerie
ds13
ds12
dd10
ds7
ds7

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Stacey,

I'm so glad that you had a good first day! We're celebrating with you today! :D :D In answer to your questions, Preparing... could actually be used quite independently, once you train your kiddo to do it that way. You can actually train your child to read from the guide and follow many of the instructions independently. But, it will take some time. While you are training your older child, you may need to go half-speed with your other kiddos (or just resign yourself to having longer days until your older kiddo has the routine down). We just settled in for the longer more patient steadfast progress, while training our second son, but after that it was such a blessing!

We trained my second son to do MUCH of "Bigger..." on his own last year, while still reserving the important Biblical discussions, oral retellings and poetry to do with me.

You'll have to decide which things in "Preparing..." you feel are essential to do with your child and keep those to be done with the teacher! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Stacey,

I'm so glad that you had a great 1st day with HOD!! I'm enjoying using HOD with my oldest for the 1st time this year and we are loving the hands-on learning that is so enjoyable together!! I love the great discussions that it leads us to, also. SO much better than "do this, and this , and this" that we did last year. :wink: You'll have to share about your weeks for us on the Weekly Check-In's. I love to hear what everyone's doing!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Stacey - I'm celebrating with you! Hooray! I do think your 13 yo could do Preparing... independently with a bit of training time. My ds learned to do quite a bit of Bigger... on his own last year. We talked through it and did it together at first, but he began to check of the boxes in the guide and be able to do more and more of it on his own (which I was thankful for due to our baby having various needs that arose). :o I think that this training time is well worth it and would make it very manageable for your 13 yo to do independently. I'm so happy you found HOD, and I'm so glad you're hear on the boards! :D

In Christ,
Julie :)
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie