Bigger Handwriting

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

Bigger Handwriting

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:42 pm

How important is FMS and handwriting when starting Bigger? I understand from reading all the posts here that there is a big jump in writing from Beyond to Bigger. My DS 7 will start Bigger in the fall. I am fully confident in his abilities to handle the workload and reading and everything else. But I'm not sure about his handwriting. It can be nice if he goes slow, but he still needs to work on shrinking it. He can write in cursive and likes too. We are doing math over the summer and that's where I really see a lot of the sloppiness. Can he grow into the writing in Bigger? Is there anything I should be doing with him now to help him prepare? We will have a few more weeks of Beyond to finish in the fall, and I did get the new Copy the Classics which I'm sure will help him with shrinking his writing down neatly.

Blessings,
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

christianmom

Re: Bigger Handwriting

Post by christianmom » Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:21 am

Jaimejac wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:42 pm
But I'm not sure about his handwriting. It can be nice if he goes slow, but he still needs to work on shrinking it. He can write in cursive and likes too.

Blessings,
Jaime
Since he likes to write in cursive, he will be more than fine. Cursive is introduced in Bigger, and he already likes it! I would consider him ahead for a boy entering Bigger.

The shrinking handwriting is a work in progress in elementary. It sounds like he is doing great!

Jaimejac

Re: Bigger Handwriting

Post by Jaimejac » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:01 pm

Ok! Thank you! His cursive is still big, but he can do it. :D I started cursive in K and he's already been working the Cheerful Cursive book. I think his cursive is better than his printing!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven