7 YO Super Interested in Periodic Table of Elements

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jaimejac

7 YO Super Interested in Periodic Table of Elements

Post by Jaimejac » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:46 pm

Hello!

My 7 YO DS is very interested in the Periodic Table of Elements right now. I have seen chemistry kits for younger kids, but most homeschool chemistry resources seem to be for older kids. I wonder if anyone here has any recommendations on ways I can foster his interest at an age-appropriate level? Keeping in mind that he is very bright - for example, he just turned 7 in May, but he is almost finished with Singapore 2B math and is flying through that.

Thank you!
Jaime
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

Mgs

Re: 7 YO Super Interested in Periodic Table of Elements

Post by Mgs » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:37 pm

Our library has a rocks and mineral set.

I also have this book Fun with Mixing and Chemistry https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Mixing-Chemi ... 0071348255 Bought used.. it’s not a curriculum- just a fun book with experiments for young children (and easy to understand pictures and explanations)

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:35 am

Thanks I'll check it out! I also found a Periodic Table of Elements puzzle and a Monopoly-esque game based on the Periodic Table where instead of properties, you buy groups of elements and you pay with the amount of protons that are in an element. Those both looked fun and interesting.
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

christianmom

Post by christianmom » Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:07 pm

Jaimejac wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:35 am
Thanks I'll check it out! I also found a Periodic Table of Elements puzzle and a Monopoly-esque game based on the Periodic Table where instead of properties, you buy groups of elements and you pay with the amount of protons that are in an element. Those both looked fun and interesting.
Your games sound like fun! I have one child who would have loved a Monopoly game with the periodic table.

I don’t remember their exact ages, but we did a project at some point in elementary that we will all remember. It was suggested in a homeschool chemistry book. The project was making a separate cookie for every element of the periodic table. We made butter cookies, and then decorated them - one cookie for each element exactly as it looks on the periodic table. Then we laid them out on the table in order of the periodic table. It made a huge impression. It made a lot of cookies! So we gave some away to the neighbors. Fun project!

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:45 am

What a fun idea! I'm sure he would love that! Thank you!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:44 am

HODb uses The Elements in MtMM. Since of the games and activities are actually listed as 8+, so they might be good for your child.
https://ellenjmchenry.com/homeschool-fr ... try-games/
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Jaimejac

Post by Jaimejac » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:51 am

This is awesome! Thanks for the tip! We haven't gotten to MTMM yet, so I wouldn't have known about it. I love that it's an HOD resource too!
Christ Alone Homeschool
DD10 - Res to Ref
DS7 - Bigger
DS6- Little Hearts
4 babies in heaven