Sticking with HOD long term

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Bijou

Sticking with HOD long term

Post by Bijou » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:05 am

If you are a long time HOD user, how have you stuck with it long term? I am not asking that because I think HOD is lacking or anything. It's a wonderful program. We used HOD when our kids were younger. I struggle with using a set schedule. We all love choosing our own books, activities, etc. Having said that, I do find that I could use some structure, but then I feel boxed in and feel like we don't have the time to do the extra things we enjoy doing. Anyone else? It can't be just me. :)
Mom to:
DS 18
DD 16
DS 13

StephanieU

Re: Sticking with HOD long term

Post by StephanieU » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:49 am

We started with LHFHG for my oldest, so we have used it for a long time. But I am finding I need to change things for my oldest. She is now in high school, and I think she deserves some input on what classes she takes and how we do them. For WG, we did it mostly as written (with a different math, Spanish, and Bible only, and we have never followed HOD for math and regularly have done a different Bible). But for WH this year, she asked to continue to take music classes and add a literature class. So we cut out the English in WH minus grammar and dictation and also the art. Next year, she is asking to take science as well outside the home, so she can experience real labs, etc. So, I am looking to see what our options are for chemistry or physics. She also is not a huge fan of US history, so I don't know if she will do all of US2. I will have her do US1 as written, but I am considering letting her pick from US2 and a few European history options (she loves European history minus Martin Luther...).

But I will say that when I had three kids in late elementary-middle school, having everything planned for me with HOD was a lifesaver! I know I want to continue to use HOD mostly as written for each of my kids through at least MtMM and probably through WG. Then, I think I will continue to let them have some input like I am doing with my oldest.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Re: Sticking with HOD long term

Post by Rice » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:01 am

With 8 kids, I found it freeing (though I still fight a twinge of guilt at times, saying no to some great things) to recognize that our lives are full and I don't have to organize for and take time out of our day for a bunch of extras.

We do do what we call a Reboot: 3-5 units in the middle of the year where I choose to require ONLY oral work (nothing written except timeline). This way they can do a unit in 1-2 days (depending on the guide) and it frees up our schedule for the year by a couple of weeks! (I adjust things like grammar and composition to make it work.)

However, I and my kids also thrive doing school 5 days a week, at least 3 weeks per month (allowing for holidays that take a day here and there), and then taking breaks when we need to: a couple days off for our provincial HS conference, etc. We also keep my teaching time for school to mornings only. Even when I had 7 students and mornings stretched from 8-1, I still had no teaching in the afternoon; only occasional composition editing and daily grading for my high schoolers. (My teens start their mornings later and usually have some work to do in the afternoons, but it's usually flexible enough they can participate in afternoon activities, with a little thinking ahead...or behind, lol.)

Mentally and for our schedule, trying to add a bunch of really great supplements to our year would have been too much. I just trust that, even if they are missing some experiences, they are getting what they need, and we do participate in things that happen in the afternoons/evenings/weekends.

FWIW, we are Canadian, so don't use US 1 and 2. We use this opportunity to try some courses with different learning styles/methods. My kids end up with a lighter schedule in 11th and 12th, so they can fit in things like apprenticeship, volunteering/work, other electives of interest, etc.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics