Preparing Hearts Good Fit for my 10 Year Old?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heart_Mom

Preparing Hearts Good Fit for my 10 Year Old?

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:05 am

Hello!

I'm considering using HOD for my youngest 2 this school year. I've been doing LHFGH with my 6 year old and she loves it, so we'll just continue and move to the next level when the time comes.

My other child I'm considering HOD for is 9 now, but will be turning 10 this summer, so will be in 5th grade this upcoming school year. According to the placement chart, PHFHG seems like the best fit for him ... and bonus is I already have it because two of my older children did it. Can this guide be considered 5th grade level work? He's not really done written narrations, so I feel like it's a reasonable place for him to start to be able to get up and running with that. We have not done formal grammar, though my son knows the basic parts of speech because we do lots of Mad Libs.

So I guess I'm curious if this seems like a good guide to use with him and whether or not this can be considered 5th grade level work.

Thanks so much!
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

my3sons

Re: Preparing Hearts Good Fit for my 10 Year Old?

Post by my3sons » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Hi there! PHFHG has a target age range of 8-10 years old, with extensions for 11 and 12 yo. There are multiple levels of math, grammar, spelling, and reading available, so you can customize it to fit your son well. If your son is averaging writing 1-3 sentences in one setting, with guiding questions to help with written narration responses, he will fit well in PHFHG. If he is averaging more like 5-7 sentences of writing in one setting without you prodding, and with less guidance, then he should do CTC. Also, creative writing begins with 1 x a week guided poetry writing alongside Robert Louis Stevenson's poems in PHFHG, In CTC, WWTB Vol. 1 includes formal writing lessons in response to provided classical literature excerpts, like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Wind in the Willows, etc. So, the writing lessons are quite a bit more in-depth in CTC. So, based on these two pieces of information,what are your thoughts?

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:17 pm

my3sons wrote:Hi there! PHFHG has a target age range of 8-10 years old, with extensions for 11 and 12 yo. There are multiple levels of math, grammar, spelling, and reading available, so you can customize it to fit your son well. If your son is averaging writing 1-3 sentences in one setting, with guiding questions to help with written narration responses, he will fit well in PHFHG. If he is averaging more like 5-7 sentences of writing in one setting without you prodding, and with less guidance, then he should do CTC. Also, creative writing begins with 1 x a week guided poetry writing alongside Robert Louis Stevenson's poems in PHFHG, In CTC, WWTB Vol. 1 includes formal writing lessons in response to provided classical literature excerpts, like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Wind in the Willows, etc. So, the writing lessons are quite a bit more in-depth in CTC. So, based on these two pieces of information,what are your thoughts?

In Christ,
Julie
Thanks so much, Julie!

Based on that, I'm certain that PHFHG would be the better fit! Thanks so much!

How would I customize the grammar?
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:31 pm

Glad to have helped, Elisabeth! You can customize the grammar by choosing between either R & S English 3 or R & S English 4, as both have daily plans in the PHFHG guide. R & S English, in general, is considered at least a year advanced. Diagramming begins in R & S English 3. R & S English 4 begins to have more involved diagramming and also begins to have writing lessons assigned. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie