Advice for using World History

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamamag5

Advice for using World History

Post by mamamag5 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi Ladies,

I really want to use the HS World History program next fall with my 10th grade daughter Liberty. I used it in the past (leaving out the living library) with another daughter and it was a lot. I don't think she ever finished a unit in a week. She did not finish the guide by the end of that year and we did something different the next fall. My concern with Liberty is that she will most likely be in a video production class 4 days a week for 1.75 hours each day. I figured the video production would count as a fine arts credit so we would skip that part in the guide. She did previous HOD guides (Preparing, CTC, RTR). We stopped because she was fighting me about school every day. She would do anything to get out of school work. She had a hard time focusing, she is easily distractible. She has matured a lot and is a confident, excellent writer. She is a songwriter and musician and would love to spend every day just writing music or novels. She has no outside activities except youth group worship team and guitar lessons once a week. She has studied Latin for many years and is finishing Algebra I this year. She is finishing up Rod & Staff 6 & Essentials in Writing 10. She did Apologia Marine Biology this past school year as a Freshman and did well. My question is: Is it possible to do this guide with the video production class or are we just setting ourselves up for failure? If we decided to do it and it became overwhelming can it be altered in a way where we could still feel successful? I absolutely love the skills that they are learning through the history and literature boxes. No other curriculum does this. Thank you. I look forward to your comments.

Shirley

my3sons

Re: Advice for using World History

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:23 pm

mamamag5 wrote:Hi Ladies,

I really want to use the HS World History program next fall with my 10th grade daughter Liberty. I used it in the past (leaving out the living library) with another daughter and it was a lot. I don't think she ever finished a unit in a week. She did not finish the guide by the end of that year and we did something different the next fall. My concern with Liberty is that she will most likely be in a video production class 4 days a week for 1.75 hours each day. I figured the video production would count as a fine arts credit so we would skip that part in the guide. She did previous HOD guides (Preparing, CTC, RTR). We stopped because she was fighting me about school every day. She would do anything to get out of school work. She had a hard time focusing, she is easily distractible. She has matured a lot and is a confident, excellent writer. She is a songwriter and musician and would love to spend every day just writing music or novels. She has no outside activities except youth group worship team and guitar lessons once a week. She has studied Latin for many years and is finishing Algebra I this year. She is finishing up Rod & Staff 6 & Essentials in Writing 10. She did Apologia Marine Biology this past school year as a Freshman and did well. My question is: Is it possible to do this guide with the video production class or are we just setting ourselves up for failure? If we decided to do it and it became overwhelming can it be altered in a way where we could still feel successful? I absolutely love the skills that they are learning through the history and literature boxes. No other curriculum does this. Thank you. I look forward to your comments.

Shirley
We have used WH twice with our 2 older sons and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did all 7 credits both times, including the optional extra credit Living Library. It took about 6 1/2 to 7 hours, just 4 days a week to complete all of the credits and living library. Considering your daughter will need nearly 2 hours a day for her video production class (a fair chunk of time), as you said, you could omit the living library and omit the Fine Arts option. This would lessen the day by at least an hour. You can check the suggested time allotments for WH here...

https://www.heartofdakota.com/blog/2018 ... he-author/

Your daughter could also potentially complete a fair share of her Health half-credit this summer. We found this to be fascinating! We enjoyed it enough to consider doing it during the summer break. She could also read/discuss Pilgrim's Progress with the plans this summer, which is what is planned opposite Health. This would lessen the day by another 40 minutes or more.

As WH is only a 4 day a week, you can further shorten the days by spreading out the plans to the free 5th day. I think this would be doable then, as long as the reading/writing/etc. of WH fits your daughter well. These are just some ideas, but I do hope you and your daughter are able to enjoy WH together! It truly was a wonderful guide.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie