Pacing the first years

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Janphillips

Pacing the first years

Post by Janphillips » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:31 am

I’m confused about what people do the first few years as far as pacing the guides. Do most people use LHTHG for kindergarten and go at half speed to use it for kindergarten and first grade and start Beyond for 2nd grade? Or do most people skip kindergarten and delay starting their child until first grade in LHFHG and do it at full speed to end up in Beyond for 2nd grade?
Jan Phillips
Married 16 years
Daughter 8 years old - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing
Daughter 6 years old - LHFHG, Beyond
Daughter - 3 years old
Son - 3 years old

StephanieU

Re: Pacing the first years

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:58 am

I don't think there is one answer. I have done something different with each of my kids actually.

Oldest: Did just math, phonics, and handwriting for K. Found HOD when she was 5.5 and used LHFHG for what we called her first grade year. She had continued to do a guide a year.

Second: Tried LHTH combined with third a few times, but we never made it far. At 4.5, started math and handwriting. Around 5 started phonics slowly. At 5.5 started LHFHG. Did LHFHG and Beyond each over a year. Did the first half of Bigger on schedule to complete on a year, but we had to pause half way through as reading was not keeping up with all other skills. So Bigger took 1.5 years. Now he is doing Preparing. I often say he changes grade half way through a school year.

Third: After trying to combine with big brother and realizing it wouldn't be successful, started LHTH "for real" at 4.5. Added in math, handwriting, and phonics as ready. Did LHTH and LHFHG each over a year. Was scheduled to start Beyond at the time that older brother needed a break in Bigger, so too a break and delayed starting Beyond for half a year (they just focused on the 3Rs for that semester). Now on schedule to do a guide a year, starting Bigger for 3rd grade in the fall.

Fourth: Will start LHTH around his 4th birthday, with plans of spreading LHTH through Bigger over 5-5.5 years. This will be accomplished mainly by doing each guide 4 days a week, about 35 weeks a year. Since the older ones will all be in 4 day unit guides, this will be easiest for us I feel. So he will get to Preparing at 9 to 9.5 years old or about 4th grade.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: Pacing the first years

Post by my3sons » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm

Janphillips wrote:I’m confused about what people do the first few years as far as pacing the guides. Do most people use LHTHG for kindergarten and go at half speed to use it for kindergarten and first grade and start Beyond for 2nd grade? Or do most people skip kindergarten and delay starting their child until first grade in LHFHG and do it at full speed to end up in Beyond for 2nd grade?
HOD's pacing is flexible, so it can be customized for each child. Little Hearts for His Glory is usually a kindergarten or a first grade program. It is geared toward 5-7 year olds and includes K and 1st grade choices in fine motor skills, math, handwriting, science, and Bible (which is used as the first part of the history study). Pacing can vary based on children's needs, families' needs, and proper placement according to skills and maturity. The best way to determine placement is to check out our placement chart and weigh the first page of it the most heavily...

https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

Just print the chart, circle where your child falls in each column, weigh the first page of it most heavily, and you can probably see which guide(s) fit your children best! You can share your placement chart findings here on the board for further individualized help in placement, or you can just give HOD a call at 605-428-4068! I'd be happy to help you personally either way! As far as general pacing, often children complete a guide a year. Children on the youngest side of the target age range can always slow down to half-speed for awhile if the guide becomes too advanced. If you have any other questions, please let us know!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie