Reading Placement Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ssears8

Reading Placement Question

Post by ssears8 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:14 pm

My daughter is 9 and in second grade. We just finished All About Reading Level 4 and are moving on to the next reading program. My question is: Should we move on to the Emerging Readers for the rest of this school year or begin DITHR level 2/3? She already reads some chapter books on her own, but seems to be tired or reading after reading for a short time (15-20 min.).

StephanieU

Re: Reading Placement Question

Post by StephanieU » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:49 pm

What guide are you using?
How many units do you have left?
I might do some of the ER books if you don't have a ton of time left just as practice. You might want to start the Level 2 books as well, as they might be very easy for her.
What chapters books does she read on her own right now?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

ssears8

Post by ssears8 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:27 pm

-We are using Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory with English 2 (2-3 times a week). We are in Unit 24. She just began 3rd grade math.
-She reads Boxcar Children books with ease and pretty much anything she can find about horses. I'm leaning toward DITHR, but thought I'd see if anyone else had any thoughts or ideas especially if they've used ALL About Reading as their phonics program. She reads fairly quickly, but tends to make mistakes on long words and gets frustrated when I try to help her slow down and sound them out, which she has no problem doing when I make her.
-I have six children currently in Heart of Dakota guides (High School through Kinder), so I have her and her slightly younger brother combined in Beyond for ease of teaching.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:04 pm

I would do the last few ER books, those after the nature book that your can find at the library or inexpensively. They are actually at the same level or slightly higher than the easiest Dithor 2 books. I might them just pick a few Dithor 2 books to read to finish out the year and start Dithor 3 when you start a new guide, as it sounds like she will be able to read those easily.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

ssears8

Post by ssears8 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have all the books for both sets because we've used them before.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Sounds like you have a good plan! :D I think the ERS's oral comprehension questions in the Appendix are such good training for beginning DITHOR 2/3, not to mention the ERS books are just plain fun to read! Even Prairie School and First Flight are Level 4 books. Since you own the set, you could start there if you'd like. I do enjoy DITHOR very much, but you will have many years ahead to do DITHOR and just now to do the ERS. Hope you have a great end to your school year and a good weekend, ssears8!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

ssears8

Post by ssears8 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:03 pm

Julie, thank you for your insight. I decided to go with the ER's. Since she loves animals we started in the middle of the nature book, since it is divided into subjects so nicely. I told her if she liked it she could read the beginning of it on her own when we finished it. Then we will probably move through the other ER's and let her enjoy having a lighter reading schedule for the rest of the year. Her younger brother should be finished with ALL About Reading Level 4 by May, so they can move into DITHR together when we start back after our summer break.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:35 pm

You are welcome, and I hope she enjoys the Nature Reader and the rest of the ERS as much as our boys did!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie