Down the road

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Ferdymomma

Down the road

Post by Ferdymomma » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:38 am

Hello, I am new, i havent started yet, I pulled my son(6th) out at the half way mark because he was starting to fall behind again, i homeschoold him last year because i didn't feel he needed to repeat a grade, he went to a wonderful private chistian school that work with him. This year i homeschool my daughter(3RD) with the intention of her returning the next year. I have been using the same curriculum as the school, with i enjoy, but it not working out with two different level, so after lots of looking, talking, and advice from others I have choosen to go with Heart of Dakota, Im planning on waiting till the fall to start the different curriculum and have told my children that I want to finish the books I have. I will be starting with Creation to Christ with the extension pack for my son, Now i have done a rough calculation and at this rate when my son has graduated we will have gone through all the books, but that will leave my daughter with 2 years of highschool and nomore guides. Now i know that is about 7 years down the road and God can(and often does) change our path and sends us in a different way. but which guides would you recomend redoing for the last two years of her highschool years? I also now that she may be heading to college where my son won't, at least not right now. Thank you for any input.

StephanieU

Re: Down the road

Post by StephanieU » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:59 am

Have you looked at the placement chat to see where each child places? Very, very few 4th graders could do CtC as written. CtC is meant for the advanced 4th grader, average 5thv and 6th grader, and then older students who are either combined with younger or who have learning challenges (with our without extensions depending on ability).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: Down the road

Post by my3sons » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:37 pm

It would be a super idea to check out the placement chart! It is very accurate and in printable PDF form. You can print one for each child and circle where they fall individually in each column. The first page is most important in determining proper placement...

https://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

If you can share what you've found here, we can all chime in with ideas! I think you will love HOD! We just graduated our oldest son, and he is flourishing in college. We are still loving HOD with our 2 remaining sons in WH high school and RTR. Share what you find when you get the chance, and we'll come up with a great plan for you and your kiddos together!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie