middle guides for HS

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christina

middle guides for HS

Post by christina » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:59 pm

I was hoping to get some advice on using the middle guides for high school. My 13 year old son (6th grade) has completed all the guides through Preparing. He has learning delays, so we worked through the younger guides slow and at his pace. Comprehension and fine motor activities seem to be where he struggles most in the guides. We started CtC , but recently decided to take a break and try a lapbook unit for a few weeks. We are still completing CtC science(he is enjoying zoology), English 4, dictation, and reading. My thought is that maybe we can start CtC again in 8th grade and work through the middle guides in HS. Would that give him enough history for High School? My son is a very sweet and kindhearted boy! His dream is to be a fireman when he grows up! I would really like to make HOD work, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have a wonderful evening,
Christina

christina

Re: middle guides for HS

Post by christina » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 am

I’d like to add to my original post and share more about each subject/box that my son is completing and how it is going. Also, I thought it would be helpful to know how he did in Preparing.

Preparing: By the end of the guide, he was completing somet of the independent boxes on his own. His comprehension wasn’t always there, but he was doing ok. He enjoys oral narration because he likes to share what he reads to me. He needed help with all fine motor activities, science questions, and science experiment. He had good comprehension with Grandpa’s Box, but not with A Child’s History of the World. He also did well with Hero Tales. He enjoys missionary stories and any book about helping people. He enjoyed the storytime books, but his comprehension was dependent on the book. I neglected to complete the storytime activities with him. Looking back, I should have done these.

CtC: I’m reading the history spine. Unless the chapter is a bible story he already knows, his comprehension is not there at all. Several times I’ve just read or shared a shorter version of the text. The geography is the same. Quiet bible study is going well and he enjoys that box very much. He is able to complete this on his own because most of the stories are ones he knows already. We are not completing the Genesis study at this time. Depending on the book, storytime is going well. Again, I have neglected to complete the activity. He loved Summer of the monkeys. He laughed and laughed through that book. He is reading Zoology on his own. I think he misses a lot of the information, but the pictures help. He enjoys anything about animals. He is great with copywork, but I am needed with all other activities.

Reading: completed level 2/3 and just started 4/5 workbook and level 4/5 book pack-needs help with understanding directions on most workbook pages

Cursive: working through cheerful cursive slowly; his fine motor delays make this a difficult subject

Math: almost finished with Teaching Textbooks level 6-doing well and independent

Writing: we are using a different program

My older son completed all the HS guides except US 2, so I have those guides. I do not feel my younger son will be able to complete the HS guides independently as written, so this is why I’m hoping to use the middle guides.
Thank for listening,
Christina

my3sons

Re: middle guides for HS

Post by my3sons » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:30 pm

Just wanted to say it was a pleasure visiting with you on the phone about this, Christina, and I think you have an awesome plan for your son's upcoming high school years with HOD!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie