HELP! New to HOD, multiple ages, not sure what to order

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TribeofFiveLittles

HELP! New to HOD, multiple ages, not sure what to order

Post by TribeofFiveLittles » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Hi there! I am looking at switching my 4 school age kids to HOD but they are all on VERY different levels! We have been classically educating (CC) our kids for 3 years with some CM influences.

dd: will be turning 8 in a week, mildly/moderately dyslexic, just started reading this past month, finished horizons k both books and has been doing math mammoth for math grade 1, currently using Logic of English (it's working!) and is learning cursive first.

ds: 9 years old, mildly dyslexic, mild auditory processing, does great with memory work, reads at an advanced level, but really struggles with dictation, spelling, and copy work (print), no cursive yet.

ds: 11 years old, Moderately dyslexic, does really well with memory work! Struggles with dictation, copy work, penmanship, and spelling (print, no cursive yet) but reads and comprehends really well! We spend a lot of time one on one working on these things :) Currently using Teaching textbooks 3.

ds: almost 12 years old, stong reader, speller, writer, struggles with staying on task but that's about it. He is my "self schooler" TT5 for him, no cursive yet

When I look at the HOD placement and S&S, I am thinking:
7 yo dd with be in Beyond,
9 yo ds will be Bigger,
my 11 yo dyslexic ds- age wise should be in c2c, but I think he would be better suited for preparing,
and my other 11 yo ds in C2C....
IS THIS RIGHT?!?!!

Can somebody help shed some insight on how to make this feasible for one mama?! Do I really need 4 guides my first year? My boys are great at following checklists, and love to read, how much can they do independently? I also have an 18 mo toddler running around too :)

Thank you!!

StephanieU

Re: HELP! New to HOD, multiple ages, not sure what to order

Post by StephanieU » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 pm

Are you planning on starting them now or in the fall?
Are there any pairs that would work well or terribly of conjoined in a guide with each other?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

my3sons

Re: HELP! New to HOD, multiple ages, not sure what to order

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:01 pm

TribeofFiveLittles wrote:Hi there! I am looking at switching my 4 school age kids to HOD but they are all on VERY different levels! We have been classically educating (CC) our kids for 3 years with some CM influences.

dd: will be turning 8 in a week, mildly/moderately dyslexic, just started reading this past month, finished horizons k both books and has been doing math mammoth for math grade 1, currently using Logic of English (it's working!) and is learning cursive first.

ds: 9 years old, mildly dyslexic, mild auditory processing, does great with memory work, reads at an advanced level, but really struggles with dictation, spelling, and copy work (print), no cursive yet.

ds: 11 years old, Moderately dyslexic, does really well with memory work! Struggles with dictation, copy work, penmanship, and spelling (print, no cursive yet) but reads and comprehends really well! We spend a lot of time one on one working on these things :) Currently using Teaching textbooks 3.

ds: almost 12 years old, stong reader, speller, writer, struggles with staying on task but that's about it. He is my "self schooler" TT5 for him, no cursive yet

When I look at the HOD placement and S&S, I am thinking:
7 yo dd with be in Beyond,
9 yo ds will be Bigger,
my 11 yo dyslexic ds- age wise should be in c2c, but I think he would be better suited for preparing,
and my other 11 yo ds in C2C....
IS THIS RIGHT?!?!!

Can somebody help shed some insight on how to make this feasible for one mama?! Do I really need 4 guides my first year? My boys are great at following checklists, and love to read, how much can they do independently? I also have an 18 mo toddler running around too :)

Thank you!!
Hello! From what you've shared so far, I'd combine your 7 and 9 year in Beyond Little Hearts for everything except language arts and math. Your 7 yo can do Beyond... for language arts and math. Your 9 yo can do Beyond or Bigger for his language arts and math, depending on what placement fits better for each area. I would guess he could do R & S English 2 for grammar, 2A/2B Singapore Math, spelling list 2 or Dictation Level 2, Drawn into the Heart of Reading Level 2/3 Package with Level 2 or 3 Book Pack, and possibly cursive (or wait a year for cursive, and have him strengthen his copywork skills by working up to 4 lines of the poem in Beyond's copywork daily).

I'd like to hear more about your two 11 yo sons. When do they each turn 12 yo? What kind of books are they each reading (i.e. beginning chapter books, big thick lengthy chapter books)? How much can they write in one setting without a much encouragement on your part (i.e. 1-3 sentences, 5-7 sentences, more)? How much are they currently used to writing each day and schooling each day? How do they each do with independent work and with following multi-step directions? Have either been reading their own history/science, or are you reading those aloud? About what grade are you considering each of them? Thank you!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie